-

Photo

Center speaker stand to tilt toward listening area?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Phil_DC

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 11:58 AM

I am looking for a stand to sit on top of a 64 inch RPTV that would allow me to angle my M&K 150THX center toward listening area. M&K used to make a small base ST stand but it has been discontinued. The big base ST stand is way to heavy, 52lbs to be exact.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find a short speaker stand that is tiltable?

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 12:22 PM

I only use a rubber door stop on my CC tilted down. it sits on top of my tv.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Phil_DC

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 01:46 PM

Hey that's a great idea! I wanted something adjustable however, but I am going to try the door stop and see what kind of tilt I can get with out the speaker sliding off the TV.

Thanks!

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 02:54 PM

I use a CD jewel case under the back edge of the center channel. Slide in in or out to adjust the angle.

By no means scientific, but it works! Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   George Martin

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 05:24 PM

I have one. It has adjustable spiked feet in the rear with two steel disc to keep from scratching with the spikes.it also has two 1/2" lips in the front to keep the speaker from sliding of of the stand. It also has adjustable width and is made off steel. It worked out great for me while I was using it but once I had my gear installed inwall I no longer needed it so I threw in the closet. I think I paid about $50.00 for it.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   RichardH

RichardH

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 07:30 PM

For a more "professional" look, you could get this for $30:

Mopads

Posted Image

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark R O

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 08:40 PM

Lovan makes 3 different sizes. All are a triangular steel plate with adjustable, screw in feet. Simple and very effective.
The aim of life is to live and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,512 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 26 2002 - 01:46 AM

I use two rubber door stops, too. Since they are wedge-shaped, they are adjustable up to a certain point (well within my needs). This is a great, inexpensive solution if you cannot find a stand that suits your needs.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Eujin

Eujin

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 02:38 AM

Well, here's one that I haven't heard anyone mention yet. I have my center channel mounted on the floor, angled up toward my listening position. The stand I have for it was made from items purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Basically, all you need are a solid maple cutting board (without feet) and those door-knob like things that are screwed into the ends of big wooden curtain rods. I simply screwed those curtain rod thingies under the front edge of the cutting board so that I could get the tilt and placed my center channel on the board. That's it. Before this, I'd had the center channel on a short speaker stand that I'd modified from an existing one, with door stops used to angle it properly.

I prefer the floor-mounted solution as the speaker is now more stable and in less danger of falling off the stand (important if you have things like pets or clumsy house guests). I've also noticed that I have a smoother front soundstage, with better definition and integration with the fronts. Total cost was under $40 and took about 10 minutes to assemble.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   BenK

BenK

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
I use a CD jewel case under the back edge of the center channel.

Kevin, I thought I was the only ghetto a$$ to use a cd case Posted Image

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Phil_DC

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info,

I ordered a set of MoPads, they are plenty cheap enough to try out. Lovan has a Center Director (Adjustable-Center channel speaker stand), if the Mopads don't do it for me I am going to get one of those.

As of right now though the CD case seems to be doing the trick.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 08:16 AM

CD case = "field expedient" ! Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   DerekF

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 08:52 AM

Does anyone know if any company makes a CC stand that is a giant "C" shape, with a flat platform that slides under the rear of the RPTV, then an adjustable tray that is suspended above the screen?

I was thinking about making one if it's not available commercially.......