-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Zelda Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 of 80 Matt MacFarlane

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 09:16 AM

This game just keeps looking better and better. There are two new movies showcasing new bosses and new moves.
Both are located here:

http://mediaviewer.i......lda GameCube

They are also on Gamespot, but you can only watch them if you have Gamespot Complete.
You've got to ask yourself one question:
Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

#2 of 80 Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 09:50 AM

Please let this be in 16:9.

1 Up! Comics

#3 of 80 Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 10:11 AM

Wow, never thought I'd like the cel shading but I do. I care much more for the gameplay than I do the visuals!

Thanks for the link Matt!
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#4 of 80 Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 10:12 AM

I'd be more concerned with Zelda turning out like Starfox Adventures, rather than not having 16:9 support. Of course I only have a 4:3 TV, so 16:9 support isn't that important to me.

As long as it's the same quality as Metroid or better, I'll be a happy camper.

#5 of 80 Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 10:14 AM

I'd be more concerned with Zelda turning out like Starfox Adventures

I have no concern whatsoever on Zelda--this isn't Rare, after all Posted Image

Give it to me now!

(with 16:9, please)

1 Up! Comics

#6 of 80 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 10:46 AM

As much as I would like to see 16:9 support, I doubt we will. Nintendo's first-party games never seem to support that feature, much to my disappointment. That means I'll probably have to settle for the standard 4:3 mode on my TV. Everyone else can stretch it. Posted Image

As for the videos, I don't think I will watch them. I don't want to spoil myself on this game by seeing too much. Being completely in the dark about a game has made Metroid Prime so much better. The same goes for Eternal Darkness, which I would rank just behind Metroid as the best game of the year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Flynn:
I'd be more concerned with Zelda turning out like Starfox Adventures...

Fear not, for I do believe this game will surpass StarFox in every regard in terms of gameplay. Let me ask you this: How many bad Zelda games have you played, not counting the crappy Phillips 3D0 ones?
-J.Fo

#7 of 80 Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 10:48 AM

not counting the crappy Phillips 3D0 ones

Or CD-I, even Posted Image

And yes, all three were horrific (though the third was a little bit better).

1 Up! Comics

#8 of 80 JamesH

JamesH

Supporting Actor

• 664 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 12:01 PM

I'm not all that excited about this one, the only way I'll buy it on release day is if they include the extra games that come with the jap version.

Supposedly this one plays just like TOOT, which is far from my favorite Zelda. I also don't find the art design appealing at all. Cel shading is fine and I like JGR/JSRF and Wild Arms 3....but I can't stand the character designs. How intimidating can the forces of evil be if a kid in diapers is going to stop them? Then....is the world really worth saving if the adults are such sissies that a 3 year old with a slingshot is showing them up?

100% opinion of course.

#9 of 80 Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 12:06 PM

Zelda 2.

I didn't enjoy that one in the least. Posted Image

And I've never played Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask (I never owned an N64).

But I have enjoyed the GB Zelda games. And the SNES Zelda as well.

#10 of 80 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,128 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 01:09 PM

Quote:
The same goes for Eternal Darkness, which I would rank just behind Metroid as the best game of the year

Amen to that! I'm probably the only person that agrees with you. Two groundbreaking games that take old concepts, spin them around, and turn them into masterpieces in one year is truly a feat!

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to Zelda. I just hope we've only seen a very small part of it.

#11 of 80 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 01:31 PM

D'oh! I knew I would get the name of that Phillips system wrong! I couldn't remember what it was and finally settled on on the 3D0. Oh well, I suspect few will find any reason for outrage over that mistake.
-J.Fo

#12 of 80 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 02:43 PM

I'm starting to get a little more used to the cel-shading, and although it's not the way I would have designed it, I'm still looking forward to seing how it plays. Unless I see an absolutely horrible review or two of it, I'll be buying this one as soon as I can get my hands on it (especially if it has the extra disc). Otherwise, might have to rent first. I'm a little worried that the difficulty of the game might drop with the style change...
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#13 of 80 Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 03:08 PM

Quote:
As long as it's the same quality as Metroid or better, I'll be a happy camper.

That's about where I'm at. It took me a while not accept Metroid as a FPS but now that I have it....wow!
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#14 of 80 Matt MacFarlane

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 08:28 AM

I can't find them now, but there were pics from the Ocarina of Time on the gamecube, and they looked very good. Much more along the lines of the battle between Link and Ganondorf.
And about the cel-shading, I didn't like it much either in teh beginning, but once I saw the game in action I realized how truly amazing the game looks. In some aspects, the visuals are far better than if they had done it as was illustrated in the battle betweem Link and Ganondorf. There is so much more potential when using cel-shading. The amount of facial expressions, that wouldn't really be possible in any other format, is staggering. Now, I can't imagine the new Zelda in anything other than cel-shading. Even the gameplay looks amazing. Just watching the battle footage, you can realize how truly innovative some of the ideas are. This game could quite possible be my most anticipated game ever, and that's just about all I have to say about that.
You've got to ask yourself one question:
Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

#15 of 80 Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
This game could quite possible be my most anticipated game ever, and that's just about all I have to say about that.

I second that thought!
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#16 of 80 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,128 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 08:55 AM

Considering that GameRankings.com lists Ocarina of Time as the highest rated game of every game on the site (with a 98%), this new one has some big shoes to fill.

But we all know Miyamoto's feet are gigantic.

#17 of 80 Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 01:27 PM

Tell the truth, I can't seem to get excited about this one. The loonie toons flavor leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Am I going to give it a chance? You bet! But right now I'd be WAY more excited if they went the top down view like link to the past instead of what its turning out to be now. I was a little disappointed with the both Zeldas on the N64 too though. I guess the Zelda games are just going a different direction than my tastes.

Am I the only one starting to get sick of constantly fighting with a camera so I can see what the hell I'm doing in a game?

Dean

#18 of 80 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 01:57 PM

say what you may, but this game looks bloody incredible. I honestly don't know who could watch any of the zelda movies and not be excited.

#19 of 80 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,128 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
But right now I'd be WAY more excited if they went the top down view like link to the past instead of what its turning out to be now. I was a little disappointed with the both Zeldas on the N64 too though. I guess the Zelda games are just going a different direction than my tastes

I see what you're saying, and that's why I'm happy they have the GBA. They can use it to make more 2-D Zeldas if they wish. But would you really want to get the same style of game for sequel after sequel? They can only do so much with a certain style before they have to recycle ideas or make minor adjustments to them. Many people complain that Super Mario Sunshine was only an evolution of Super Mario 64, not the evolution that Super Mario 64 was from Super Mario World. The same thing would happen if every Zelda game was done in the same style.

I prefer that they make games going in both directions or combine them together, like Contra: Shattered Soldier did.

#20 of 80 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 04:22 PM

Dean;

If you haven't already, get a GameBoy Advance and buy yourself a copy of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. If you love the classic overhead angle of the older Zelda games, these two should more than satisfy you.
-J.Fo

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow