What's new

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) ... Anyone know the plan? (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
If you're a fan of the books, you're probably a big fan of Jeremy Brett's portrayal of him, so I ask on behalf of all those people if anyone knows the release plan for this series? I have the first box set release, but does anyone have an idea on when future box sets will be released? I appreciate any info on this, since these sorts of A&E releases don't get much press usually.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I've bought every disc from the first set as well, but I don't know how sales have been. My guess, however, is that the entire series will be released, but it may take a while.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
It sounds however, like we are going to have to wait a long time for another box-set. I don't want to spend money every few months for only one or two episodes. The box set I have now though is packaged very weird. It's like a quadruple amaray case, and it's very hard to open and close the right section. It would freak other people out, but I find it rather comical. I've never seen anything like it before!

Kevin Harper

Agent
Nice to know that som emore discs are on the way. It is such a pity that the first batch were of suck poor quality. They improved with later releases but still very poor. I understand that the negatives are in bad shape anyway but this doesn't excuse the really bad compression, floating images and thin sound of these releases. Agreed, Brett is the best but it apears this is the best we are going to get. Still a hell of an improvement over the VHS versions.

Kevin Harper

Agent
Nice to know that som emore discs are on the way. It is such a pity that the first batch were of such poor quality. They improved with later releases but still very poor. I understand that the negatives are in bad shape anyway but this doesn't excuse the really bad compression, floating images and thin sound of these releases. Agreed, Brett is the best but it apears this is the best we are going to get. Still a hell of an improvement over the VHS versions.

Kevin Harper

Agent
Nice to know that som emore discs are on the way. It is such a pity that the first batch were of such poor quality. They improved with later releases but still very poor. I understand that the negatives are in bad shape anyway but this doesn't excuse the really bad compression, floating images and thin sound of these releases. Agreed, Brett is the best but it appears this is the best we are going to get. Still a hell of an improvement over the VHS versions.

Kevin Harper

Agent
Nice to know that som emore discs are on the way. It is such a pity that the first batch were of such poor quality. They improved with later releases but still very poor. I understand that the negatives are in bad shape anyway but this doesn't excuse the really bad compression, floating images and thin sound of these releases. Agreed, Brett is the best but it appears this is the best we are going to get. Still a hell of an improvement over the VHS versions.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm equally glad to hear that more of these quality productions are going to be released to DVD.I'd heard a rumour that the Rathbone&Bruce Universal films were going to be released as well,which'll be an added bonus for Holmes fans in 2003.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Looking at the linked site, it appears that MPI is releasing the five "movies" between January and March. Simultaneously with the release of the last disc, MPI is releasing another box set. If that box is substantially cheaper than the five separate discs, as it was last time around, I think I'll wait.

Just how odd was that box version? Should I stick with the individual releases? As long as the box doesn't break and it protects the discs, it sounds like a space saver.

Quality issues aside, it is good to see the continued release of the series. I'd begun to wonder if my first five were also my last five.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Bill, if you have already have the individual discs, I see no reason to go to the box set. It probably saves a little space, but not much. The box hasn't broken though. It's tough, like a VHS box from Blockbuster. It's still unusual though.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
And I just found out that David Burke doesn't play Watson in most of the upcoming episodes! This is terrible! Is this other guy they have doing it any good? I absolutely love Burke's Watson, and all the best episodes feature him and his chemistry with Holmes.
What's the word on this guy Hardwicke? Will he make me foget Burke (I doubt it)?

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
David,
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning to buy the box, discs and all. MPI has responded by e-mail that I can obtain the empty box for $5. It may be way too geeky to replace the individual cases just to match the later boxes (if I do wait for those boxes with the subsequent series).
Hardwicke makes a pretty good Watson. Between the two actors, I never did have a favorite. You'll find some more information herehttp://www.dunwich.org/tv/sherlock/s...html#Bookmarks. Oddly, a great episode guide that I recently viewed is now unavailable. There is a link for it on the page I have linked here.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Great news. I wish they would start with RETURN though, as the later "movies" were far below standard. Still, great to have these on DVD.

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Your mileage may vary, but I liked Edward Hardwicke just a bit more than Burke. He's a very accomplished actor and brings great dignity to the part.

That said, I did like Burke and I did like that he seemed younger that Hardwicke. One of my pet Holmesian peeves is the relentless desire to cast people that are simply to old in my opinion for these two parts. Were I King of the World, I'd be casting people in their thirties at the latest to portray Holmes/Watson for the majority of their adventures (and for the first one, A Study in Scarlet, I doubt either character is out of his twenties).

I just hope when they start in on the one-hour "Return of Sherlock Holmes" episodes on DVD in the summer they aren't cutting them to one per disc - that listing on Amazon only mentions "The Empty House" on the june release, or am I reading it wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks