-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Criterion Solaris vs. RusCiCo (with screen captures)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 07:53 AM

Hi all,

I got an early copy of the Criterion Solaris and compared 5 or 6 frames to the RusCiCo version...

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

in the R1 section...

The Criterion image is outstanding and the RusCiCo is cropped slightly...

RusCiCo
Posted Image
Criterion

Posted Image

You can see much better on the larger caps on my webpage.
Regards,

#2 of 21 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 07:58 AM

I've been reading a few posts about this and evidently some were concerned that the Criterion transfer may be inferior.

That comparison would appear to prove otherwise.

Criterion rules. Posted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 21 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 08:28 AM

Outstanding work, Gary. Posted Image I generally feel that Criterion does a superior job. It is always nice to see some objective work to back my subjective belief.
¡Time is not my master!

#4 of 21 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 09:21 AM

Unbelievably gorgeous. I'm just astonished.

(And I can't wait to hear the commentary track!)
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#5 of 21 Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 09:32 AM

I have not been able to get onto dvdbeaver for over a month now Posted Image The links in Gary's post never work. This really sucks as it was one of my favorite sites.

I'm on a Cox cable modem connection and all I get is a message
Quote:
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings

Is anyone else having a problem.

#6 of 21 Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 09:37 AM

Thanks a lot - I can't wait to receive my copy. But I think DVD Beaver shows extremely poor judgement in favoring RusCiCo's menus over Criterion's...
Fielding Mellish: "We fell in love. Well, I fell in love - she just stood there."
-Bananas (1971)

#7 of 21 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 09:53 AM

Quote:
DVD Beaver shows extremely poor judgement in favoring RusCiCo's menus over Criterion's
... I suppose it is a personal taste thing... of course DVDBeaver has both seen the animated menus in action and heard them... Posted Image

#8 of 21 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted November 23 2002 - 12:52 AM

I have added the Artificial Eye captures to the comparison ( thanks to Ole ), they are better than the RusCiCo, but still a leap from the Criterion.

I was also went through some of the Criterion Extras. The Audio Essay appears to be the same as the Commentary and it is chaptered as:
· Tarkovsky's Collaborators
· Donatas Banionis
· The Soviet Film Bureaucracy
· The issues of Special Effects
· Narrative Consistency
· Tarkovsky and his Parents
· Moral Knowledge
· Russian and Western Audiences

The Deleted Scenes are as follows:
· Berton's Flight ( 3:05)
· Kris' Takeoff from Earth (4:23)
· Something to Eat (1:08)
· Beginning of Part 2 (:59)
· Kris and Harl's Meal (2:21)
· Kris' Delerium/The Mirror Room (4:25)
· Mother (6:00)
· Further Philosophy (1:02)

The Interviews are extensive and I have timed them:

Video interviews with:
• Natalya Bondarchuk (32:20)
• Cinematographer Vadim Yusov (33:54)
• Art director Mikhail Romadin (16:46)
• Composer Eduard Artemyev (21:43)

• Documentary excerpt with Solaris author Stanislaw Lem (4:55)

All this is now included in the comparison, which has moved to the NTSC vs. PAL Section:
http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

Cheers,
Gary

#9 of 21 Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted November 23 2002 - 03:15 AM

Slightly off topic...

Friday 11/29 at 6:30 p.m.(PST) Turner Classic Movies has "Solaris" scheduled. It might be a good opportunity to view the movie before making a purchase.

#10 of 21 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted November 23 2002 - 03:45 AM

Well, obviously I was wrong on this. For whatever reason, I remembered the Ruscico disc as being flawless in every aspect. However, the Criterion is obviously a superior transfer hands-down. I prefer the Ruscico version menus and sound, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Thanks Gary for the wonderful comparisons!

Jeff

#11 of 21 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted November 23 2002 - 09:51 AM

Quote:
Friday 11/29 at 6:30 p.m.(PST) Turner Classic Movies has "Solaris" scheduled. It might be a good opportunity to view the movie before making a purchase.

sets VCR to tape record

#12 of 21 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
I remembered the Ruscico disc as being flawless in every aspect
Me too Jeff! I even stated as much in my old Review... DVDs have come a long way Posted Image

#13 of 21 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 04:03 AM

The Criterion transfer is clearly superior in detail and clarity.

But the thing that immediately stands out to me is the difference in color. The Criterion has a blue cast that is lacking in the others (see the water in the scene above, or the mist and character's jacket on the other scene at DVDBeaver). The difference in "blueness" affects other colors too, like the pink shirt of the girl. Either looks fine to me taken by itself, but they are quite different in comparison. The question is, which coloring is more correct?

#14 of 21 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 28 2002 - 08:49 AM

I'm not sure whether the Criterion has a bluish or "Cool" transfer or is it just that it is lacking the greenish hue that the other transfers show.

I'm not aware of which color temperature is correct but I prefer the "cool" transfer in this instance.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#15 of 21 Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted November 28 2002 - 10:07 AM

Ah great the Site is finally working for me again Posted Image

The Criterion looks leaps and bounds better to my eyes and I suspect that the color is more accurate. It just seems to have less of a green tinge than the older discs. It really shows up on the Black & White image.

Look at the black & White pics of the guy sleeping

-The RusCiCo dvd appears to have a greenish murk to it as well as some green and reddish video noise, you can see a lot of in in the facial detail around the chin area.

-The Artificial Eye dvd also has a greenish look to it, though with less red & green analog video noise, a little still can be seen in the detail of the blanket.

-The Criterion dvd, Has a perfect black and white image without the greenish cast, Nor does it have cold whites that are common in transfers in which there is a slight blue tint or the color temp was too high.

I suspect the Criterion looks cool by comparison because the other two discs seem to have an artificial warmer look due the the analog video noise and the greenish tint.

Anyhow, I can't wait to get this disc, I'll have to wait at least until late December though because I put it on my Christmas list Posted Image

#16 of 21 CristianManieri

CristianManieri

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 29 2002 - 12:39 AM

The only thing that really concerns me is the lack of a 5.1 track on the Criterion release. I have viewed the Region 2 release and the audio on that one blew me away. Considering the age of the movie, that is. But the Criterion does have a stellar image. Tough one, this is.

#17 of 21 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted November 29 2002 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
The only thing that really concerns me is the lack of a 5.1 track on the Criterion release.
I suppose it depends on how you want to hear the film; the way the director intended or supped up for Hollywood audiences. I know what I prefer.

Click HERE to view more important details regarding potential Criterion problems.... Did Tarkovsky want the blue in? ... I understand that he did and was very specific about the tints... but the Criterion does not have it...

Regards,

#18 of 21 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted November 29 2002 - 01:06 AM

Brian, sorry I didn't respond earlier. The site is never down (99.999% uptime), so I would assume it is a routing problem that should eventually be resolved...

Cheers,

#19 of 21 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted November 29 2002 - 03:17 AM

Wow, that's very interesting regarding the blue? If it can be documented that Tarkovsky did indeed want the blue in there I wonder if Criterion will recall this disc and fix it?

Jeff

#20 of 21 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted November 29 2002 - 05:16 AM

Now I'm confused. In the original screenshots above and in the review it is the Criterion that is "bluer" -- but on the latest link Gary provides it is the opposite.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow