What's new

DVD Etc Poll: List Your Favorite Demo Selection (1 Viewer)

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:) Here we go again--new thread for the Monthly Post--many of the responses to this thread will be printed in the March issue of DVD ETC. Magazine. If you do not want your name printed, then do not include a signature.
Here's the skinny, please share ONE of your favorite "entertainment system demo's." This cut can be music or movie. I need the name, title and producer of the media (DVD, D-VHS, Multi-channel Audio), the chapter and run time, and the description of what the cut is and what it reveals about your system. I.e. "The dialog in this cut tests the true character of your center channel--in the right system you will here her breath." Or "Listen to the helo as it thunders from below then roars overhead."
Please keep the word count to a minimum so that we can squeeze as many of the posts into the magazine as possible. As always, we appreciate your input. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
My choices have changed with recent releases. For picture, I can only choose Star Wars Episode 2 from FOX/Lucasfilm. I didn't know my TV could display that much detail before watching this. Everything is pure and clear on this disc. The best example of this can be found during the asteriod chase scene. (I'll post the chapter reference later) The For sound, I would choose the audio effects only tracks of Toy Story 2 DVD from Pixar/Disney, for they show off how well surround sound can be implemented for subtle effects. The opening Buzz Lightyear sequence is the best example for it has the most effects. The greatest overall sound though comes from Dreamworks Saving Private Ryan DTS, simply because of the great use of dynamic range and surrounds, easily found at the opening Normandy invasion. The use of sound is excellent here, especially when the sound cuts out to an underwater feeling.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
For picture, AOTC, hands down - its perfect.

For audio, either LOTR: Extended or TPM (they were near perfect).

I liked AOTC soundtrack, but I felt it didn't quite reach the two mentioned above.

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy showing Toy Story 2 from Pixar/Disney. Chapter 1 during the intro credits, Buzz's approach and landing on the Planet is simply an amazing auditory and visual experience. Bass is tremendous as well as the work out each speaker channel gets. Picture quality is spot on. Never failed to impress yet.

Andrew Agustin

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew that's the demo I've been using for the past year at work while I'm showcasing a surround sound system.

-Dave

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Until recently, I've used the Toccota and Fugue in D Minor segment from Fantasia for my demo. DTS track, of course.

Now, it's the "Broadway Melody/Gotta Dance/etc" segment of Singin' In The Rain: Special Edition, DD 5.1 track.

Other discs I prefer for demos are A Hard Day's Night: SE (the ending concert segment), City Lights (dance club scene, PCM 2.0 surround track), and Moulin Rouge (Zieger's Rap, DTS track).

While I DO have discs like Cast Away, The Phantom Menace, Monsters Inc, and Planet of the Apes...I prefer to use demo quality movies with a/v quality to match.

BTW...the average bitrate for AHDN: SE is 9.8 MBS. Looks like Miramax used full bitrate DD 5.1...and it shows!

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Until recently, my favorite demo scene was the battle drop scene from "Starship Troopers" titled "A Mistake" (chapter 14). The blacks are perfect and the special effects are incredible! When Rico's ship touches down, the exhaust from the ship provides a beautiful visual effect.

I think this scene has just been bested by "Attack Of The Clones", however, as this DVD is breathtaking in every way! The sequence with Obi Won and Jango Fett is stellar, as is the asteroid field scene. But my personal favorite is the execution scene leading into the battle scene at the film's conclusion. I think I'll go watch it right now...

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
My favorites are:
For sound - Superman the Movie, Star Wars Episode 1, and Toy Story 2.

For picture - Star Wars Episode 2, Toy Story 2, North by Northwest.

For extras - Lord of the Rings Extended Edition...Period.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
For picture and incredibly loud directional effects, it doesn't get any better than the Colliseum scene in DTS on Gladiator.

--Tom Ragonese

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
For DTS it has been:
Universal's Jurassic Park III, Chapter 6 "Duel of the Dinosaurs", 45 seconds long. Not only does it look great, but the sound is very robust with some great complete 360 degree panning while the spinosaur's tail swoops over head. The thunderous roars combined with the cracking of twigs on the ground as they stomp around. Then the final 'Crack' of the T-rex's neck followed by a quick silence to a sudden rush of sound as the T-rex falls to the ground. Nothing beats this Dino on Dino action.

--Jason Harbaugh

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Despite all the great DVD's that have come out since, Fox's Titan: A.E. is the one I still pop in my player to show off my system. Chapter 16 "In The Ice Ring" has fantastic sound quality, with earth-shaking deep bass, as well as very high frequency sounds when the "Icebergs" collide. The video quality is also top notch.
Rob Tomlin

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
While i agree with many of the selections above, I really like chapter 2 of Brotherhood of the Wolf. The fight scene in the rain has some excellent bass/midbass and panning surround effects. BTW, this in the French track with English subtitles. The dubbed English track is not that good. In case you haven't guessed, this is a French film. :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
For picture and sound, Star Wars Episode II. The speeder chase sequence has some amazing sights and great trick effects in the rear surrounds. Not to mention bass to die for.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Chapter one of the Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition; the death of Sauron is stunning in DTS. The low frequency and the clarity shock people who are new to home theater. Amazing.

Rob Byers

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I find myself using the opening of Toy Story 2 from Disney/Pixar more than any other demo piece. From the Toy Story 2 logo panning overhead to the point where Zurg blows up Buzz at the end of chapter 2, there is an incredible amount of bass that shows off my SVS sub and literally shakes the house.

--Jim Clifford

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
The stunning video transfer and audio mix from New Line's Blade II DVD always manages to get "Wows" from the people I demo my HT to. Audio-wise it has the best usage of surround channels including a surround center channel in any dvd that I have encountered. Ambient noises and the soundtrack boast proudly through each discrete channel.

Jonathan Liu

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
There's a scene that shows off subtle power in a bass track on AI (I believe chap. 9) where they take David in for repairs; you can feel the bass slowly build through the entire scene until it pressurizes your room!

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that everyone I know, want to see the "sock scene" from Monsters Inc. Chapter 8 when they come over. So that one is usually first with most of the above postings following.:)
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks