What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
As the last thread quickly reached 1,000+ posts (of which sadly only 100 were mine), it's about time we started fresh again with a new version.

Onward with the discussion...

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I just received my Paul Champagne metal Gasaraki box, and I seriously could not be happier with it. The thing is just gorgeous.
Granted, I'm a delusional fanboy, but I think it was still a well-spent $35 :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I also have the Champagne Gasaraki box on order with RightStuf... it seems that I am going to have to wait for the second batch though (they are backordered, but I have been promised a copy). I have the Evangelion metal box and it is a beauty. :)
(Now I just got to get around to GETTING Gasaraki ;) )

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I already got my box and I also ordered one for my friend's b-day gift, which he enjoyed as well. Nice Gasaraki box...now if I can ask Paul to make me one for my R2's...which I didn't get the ltd. ed. boxes that came with them. :frowning:
Oh, and glad you're back, Joe. Where have you been anyways? :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Heh so many inquiries into my whereabouts...
Well, I'm on the quarter system at UCLA so that means that I had midterms and mid-quarter papers over the last few weeks (not continuous though), with finals in two more weeks. Basically I haven't had too much time to watch anime, which is a horrible, horrible thing to have to admit to :)
But besides (or most likely because of) all that, I've been just so exhausted and beat this entire quarter. I don't know what it is. I'm getting a decent amount of sleep per week, but my sleep schedule is so erratic that it's probably f'ing up my system.
Ah well, I'll be watching plenty of anime come Christmas break!

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Good to hear from you Joe_C... ;) I see that you are still alive and kicking...
Wish I made more money to buy more stuff and to get a bigger place - for both anime and non-anime DVDs.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I found the Fruits Basket sampler at GameStop today for $2... seems like a great idea! 2 Episodes for $1 each and I can get a chance to "sample" the series before I buy it.
Great concept from Funimation :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Wow, I really like that idea. Kind of addresses the problem of people downloading the first couple episodes online to "just see if they like it," and then going on to download the whole series/movie.

Do the other companies have anything similar to that?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Wow, it's quiet. I just finished watching volume 1 of Silent Mobius. Definitely a 'B' series. Certainly a good deal for nine episodes on two disks. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the series. I also watched volume 5 of Love Hina. The series is definitely improving, and I can't wait to get volume 6 and the Christmas special.
John.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
AS I await a boatload of discs, I'm watching the first season of Fushigi Yugi, which I'm quite enjoying. I also picked up the complete Magical Project S series (with limited pencil boards) and the limited volume 3 of Hellsing - I love these figurine add-ons, and can't wait for the Hand Maid May release in February.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
As Todd mentioned in the previous thread about Heat Guy J, which is based on the manga of the same name, I just want to reiterate to all you fanboys that Heat Guy J is presented to you by the same company that did Escaflowne, so you may see a lot of similarities, especially in the character designs (*heh heh*).
Cheers!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Started watching Love Hina today... what a great show! (TERRIBLE DUB though IMHO, watch the Japanese) I must also say that the DVD's image is among the best I have seen for an anime series.
Can anyone answer this? I noticed when watching Ghost in the Shell SAC... GAINAX is in the credits. What do they have to do with the show? I thought this was Bandai property. Can't wait for the DVD, this series is the best thing to come out of Japan this year! :)
Also, I watched a subbed episode of Fruits Basket last night... and I CANNOT believe how much they have changed Yuki's voice in the dub! It is all wrong! On a side note, I GOTTA pick up this series when Funimation releases their boxset next year :D

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all...
I just got done watching the first four episodes of Magical Project S, and it was pretty darn funny. I have to say that I was laughing much of the time. I also liked the little homages to El Hazard in the first episode. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the episodes manage to stay as funny.
John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone recommend some Japanese music for me? I live ~2 miles from Orlando's Japanese/Korean section of town... so buying the stuff isn't a problem, I just don't know what to get! I have been listening to lots of anime OSTs lately (Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, .hack//SIGN) and want to expand my horizons :).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've watched the first couple of Magical Project S and am also enjoying it. I love cabbits.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Rob:
Well, my favorite Japanese band at the moment is Do As Infinity. They've done a couple of songs for anime. Their song 'Tooku made' was the ending song for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I'm pretty sure their song 'Fukai Mori' (Deep Forest) will be on the Inu Yasha series. Ayumi Hamasaki is another fave. You should check on CD Japan (www.cdjapan.co.jp) for the CD covers, since obviously they'll be in Kanji (if you don't read Japanese, that is).
John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
My mistake on the Heat Guy J...It is character designed and directed by Nobuteru Yuuki (character designer of Escaflowne, X Movie fame). So it isn't the studio that did Escaflowne though. But it's a good show.
I think I will look into reading the manga then. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks