Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

#21 of 1009 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 10:28 AM

Hey all: Does anyone know if there is another Love Hina series after the Christmas movie? John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

Currently Collecting: Inu Yasha, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Total DVDs: 1436 Anime DVDs: 776 R2 DVDs: 41 R3 DVDs: 6

#22 of 1009 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 01:20 PM

JohnAD: There's the 25th episode (not sure if Bandai included that in vol. 6) before the Christmas special, and then there's the Spring Special and then the 3 episodes OVA which ends the series all together.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#23 of 1009 OFFLINE   Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 01:21 PM

There is the Spring Special and the 3 episode OVA Love Hina Again. THe spring special is aweful in its animation and the story is so so. The OVA has different animation, it looks more manga like...the story is again ok, but better than the spring special.

#24 of 1009 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,263 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 01:43 PM

Rob- See the Eva movies yet?

#25 of 1009 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 02:11 PM

They should (hopefully) be here tomorrow from DDD Posted Image

I am looking forward to watching them during Turkey weekend Posted Image

Love Hina has me hooked right now... I gotta pick up that Christmas disc + disc 02 sometime next month Posted Image

#26 of 1009 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted November 25 2002 - 02:32 PM

Kong, Steve: Thanks for the info. The 25th episode is on the Christmas Special disk. It's kind of sad that they didn't do much more, since the series ended only about halfway through the manga. John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

#27 of 1009 OFFLINE   Joe_C

Joe_C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 06:33 AM

[quote] Well, my favorite Japanese band at the moment is Do As Infinity. They've done a couple of songs for anime. Their song 'Tooku made' was the ending song for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. [quote] John:

I loved that ending song. I think I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks for the rec...

Rob:

Ayumi Hamasaki is definitely a must, plus the OST's for Escaflowne, Gundam Wing (I have a special place in my heart for Two-Mix Posted Image), and Gasaraki...along with those you've already mentioned.
www.DigitalHoard.com
Where anime junkies come to get their fix...

My Obsession

#28 of 1009 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 11:48 AM

Joe: No problem. I'm a little behind in collecting their CDs - the singles are ~13.50 at the Uwajimaya, and a little more if I order them from CD Japan. On the plus side, they usually keep a pretty good selection in stock. Rob: One more suggestion. I picked up the soundtrack to Sol Bianca: The Legacy a while back, since I really like the opening and closing songs. If you can find it, I would recommend it. John.

#29 of 1009 OFFLINE   Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 03:24 PM

Cool thread(s)...

Been looking for some good info on the various anime market out there. Posted Image

Just wish Tokyopop would hurry up and release Initial D Posted Image
Adventure, Excitement... A Jedi craves not these things. - Silent Bob

My small DVD list

#30 of 1009 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 04:36 PM

So, you guys gonna plop down the $60 for the .hack//SIGN limited edition? I am still contemplating. I liked the first 2 episodes (the only ones I have seen)... but $60 for the box, disc 1, and plush toy Posted Image Posted Image

I don't really have time to watch the rest of the series right now with all the new anime coming out of Japan... So for those who have seen the series, how does the quality carry on through the rest of the series? Good ending (I heard you had to play the PS2 games to tie all the loose ends Posted Image )?

On the fansub side of things... Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex just keeps getting better and better, I just can't recommend it enough! There has YET to be a bad episode (1-4 have been released thus far, 2 more next month). Oh, and this is one soundtrack that I will happily plop down the cash for, Yoko Kanno's score is FANTASTIC Posted Image

#31 of 1009 OFFLINE   John Bryant

John Bryant

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 05:03 PM

Anyone have any opinions on Doomed Megalopolis?

#32 of 1009 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 05:53 PM

John, I haven't seen it. Do you know what it's about?
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#33 of 1009 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,725 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 01:51 AM

I watched the film MEMORIES last night. WOW! I was blown away by the storytelling and the sheer artistry of the film. Does anyone know if this film has been licensed for the States? If not, then WHY? It's one of my favorite Anime films now.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#34 of 1009 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 05:19 AM

Todd:

Anime on DVD (www.animeondvd.com) has a review of it. Basically, it's another Macek English-only anime. The review says that it's supposed to be pretty good, though.

Brian:

I've never heard of that movie. Is it new or old?

John.

#35 of 1009 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 10:14 AM

Brian:

Memories like Macross: Do You Remember Love is all tied in license hell. So, to see it is like nil. You can always buy the R2 Memories because it has English subs on them. However, it is a R2, so you'll need a multi-region player.

JohnAD:

Memories is a 3 separate mini movies in one big movie (kinda like Robot Carnival) created by Katsuhiro Otomo. The three stories are "Magnetic Rose," "Stink Bomb," and "Cannon Fodder". Most American fans don't like the 3rd one because it is a bit weird for some people who don't understand the significance behind the story, but that's to be expected coming from a western culture. "Magnetic Rose" is a sci-fi drama about some scientists who discover a ship/station that used to be a home of this one time famous female opera singer. "Stink Bomb" is a comedy drama about a guy who becomes a deadly, smelly poison to humankind. One sniff and you die. Pretty hilarious. "Cannon Fodder" is a silent (as in "no dialogue") drama story of a boy who tries his hand at becoming the cannon loader like his father before him to prove his worthiness in face of adversity. Very old idealistic Japanese way of thinking.

And speaking of DOA (Do As Infinity), I'm also behind in collecting their stuff. You do know that DOA used to write music for Hamasaki Ayumi before she started doing her own music herself (using her alias CREA for music credit). Posted Image Just FYI. Posted Image

Rob Lutter:

I may be picking up the limited edition of .hack//SIGN. It's an interesting anime concept that's along the vein of Everquest. So if you like Everquest, then you'll like hack//SIGN". It may not be for everyone's cup of tea, but it does have a story. I'll have to check it out more to know for sure.

I do agree with Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. Great intro...along the veins of a Russian version of the Rahxephon intro (also produced by Yoko Kanno and sung by Maaya Sakamoto). The R2 comes out in December! YAY! It's better than the movie, IMHO.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#36 of 1009 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 10:42 AM

AnimeonDVD.com has a new update to the .hack//SIGN Limited Edition: http://www.animeondv.../hack/index.htm
[quote] Exclusive to the limited edition release, in addition to the previously mentioned items such as the Grunty plushie, there will be a .hack//INFECTION PS2 Video Game Demo Disc, an exclusive .hack//SIGN postcard set, an exclusive .hack//SIGN sticker as well as an exclusive .hack//SIGN T-shirt. With all that, there's probably barely any room for the DVD itself in that box! [quote] NICE BOX! Less is more Posted Image
I will probably pick this one up and dump the PS2 game on eBAY (as I have no PS2).

#37 of 1009 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 10:57 AM

[quote] Memories like Macross: Do You Remember Love is all tied in license hell. [quote]
Actually, Memories in in no such license hell. It's just that no one wants to pony up the cash it costs because of percieved limited appeal. DYRL has a long term lease to Best Video, and I don't think anyone has even managed to find out who owns the US right to buy them from them

#38 of 1009 OFFLINE   JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 01:19 PM

Kong:

Thanks for the info. No, I wasn't aware of that about Do As Infinity. Another reason to like them Posted Image.

John.

#39 of 1009 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 04:07 PM

I am so sad right now...

I just got His and Her Circumstances (AKA: Kare Kano) Volume 2 in the mail and it exhibits A LOT of EDGE ENHANCEMENT. We are talking Episode I-like levels of EE on this disc. It is a shame because I thought Volume 1's transfer was almost perfect (for GAINAX). Posted Image

Hopefully it will be corrected in Volume 3.

EDIT:
Here is an example
Closeup

Another example
Closeup
(you may have to paste the URL for it to work)

Don't let this stop you from getting the disc though, it is truely a wonderful series Posted Image

#40 of 1009 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 08:02 PM

Dude, that's really bad...especially coming from TRSI. The R2's don't have any edge enhancements at all.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users