What's new

Someone please review YES: Fragile on DVD AUDIO? (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I just pulled it out of the mail box and now have it in my grubby little hands. Will report later. :)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Just received it in the mail and right off the bat "Roundabout" sounds great in 96hz/24 bit sound. Very open and airy sounding, Steve Howe's guitar work has never sounded better.
The bass notes from the organ during "Cans and Brahms" really rocks. My ICBM is working ;)
Everything else sounds fine especially the bonus cut of "America" presented here for the first time also in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound. Very nice!
There's a cool feature called "Yes Timeline" that follows the band from theri infancy til "Fragile". It has photos pf every Yes single during that period that were released worldwide.
This is a MUST get for Yes fans and Multi-Channel fans. Even those with only a regular DVD player can enjoy this as it does have both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 mix's.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy had like ten copies of Fragile--I've never seen so many of just one dvd-audio title.
I've only listened as far the "The Fish", because I needed this thing called "dinner" :). But the DTS track sounds excellent, and it sounds clearer & definitely more detailed than my non-remastered CD version. Whether this is due to using the original multi-track masters (probably this) or the surround aspect, I don't know. But I don't care-it just sounds REALLY good.
More to come later!
LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy had like ten copies of Fragile--I've never seen so many of just one dvd-audio title.
I have noticed my Best Buy has begun to stock similar quantities of new releases from Warner. This could be a sign that DVD-A sales are increasing in their store, but who knows.

I am still waiting for my copy of Fragile to arrive from Circuit City, hopefully it gets here tomorrow.

J

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD-A sounds terrific...

Couple of notes...

- This is one of the few discs that will allow the switching of audio (between surround and stereo) without going to the menu. Although, when switched, it starts at the beginning of the track.

- The back of the DVD-A has a chart labeling the disc content(This chart should be on EVERY disc). And although it lists the stereo mix at 192kHz/24-bit, it seems to be 96kHz/24-bit, the same resolution as the surround mix.

Mislabeled?

I don't think it's my player(ElitE 45-A) as other discs, including the one I'm listening to right now, Guarneri String Quartet (highly recommended if you like the Ravel, Debussy, Faure string quartets) does in fact play the 192kHz/24-bit stereo track just as the disc labels.

Any other thoughts...?

Go get the disc... Enjoy, JD

P.S. Where the #$%*@ is Donald Fagen?!!
I WANT The NIGHTFLY...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I just gave the disc a listen, and have to say it is fantastic. The stereo track is extremely clear and dynamic. It literally sounds like it was made just this year. The masters must have been in excellent condition. I listened to a couple of tracks in 5.1 and was also similarly impressed. This is a recording that was made for multi-cahnnel. Go buy it right now:emoji_thumbsup:
The stereo track is indeed 24bit/96kHz (mislabeled on package), but excellent nonetheless.
Jack,
The Nightfly should be out around the middle of December. I cannot wait to get this disc either.
J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
It literally sounds like it was made just this year.
I'll second that statement. And this is just the DTS track! Little to no background noise; I can hear the "plucks" on guitar strings; voices have a very real & in-the-room quality; imaging is very good (front and to the sides). Sometimes with Jon's voice there was a slight graininess present, but everything else was smooth and again, it just sounded very real. All this from 30(!) year old tapes.
Ths surround mix is the immersive type--but is on the conservative side (Linkin Park's is much more agrressive). Nothing jumps out at you. If panning is used, it is nice and slow. Except: with "Cans and Brahms" they really let loose and things are happening all around you! And, this is one of the few times the LFE channel really "does" anything--95% of the time there is little low bass occurring.
The disc starts immediately when the player finishes reading it.
Menus are animated with classy graphics--you finally get to see that uh.....fish boat(?) creation fly!.
The timeline thing is actually interesting to read and see--usually these types of extras I find boring. And it very complete--you need at least 10 minutes to really check it out fully.
The disc also has a stereo Dolby Digital track--it sounded pretty good.
All in all, this was $18 that was very well worth it. A really quality product. The people that worked on this disc helped this already-great music become more alive & moving than I have ever heard it.
LJ

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
It literally sounds like it was made just this year.
:)Yeah, except it features extremely talented musicians performing creative and original musical works on real instruments... That's one way you tell it wasn't made just this year...:)
I'm really enjoying the album...
They mixed the drum kit and the bass in the front center channel for most of the album (again)... But then, I suppose nothing's perfect.
Cheers, JD

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten this yet, but I was hoping that they would do a very aggressive mix for We Have Heaven, with each voice in one speaker. It looks like that isn't so from these posts, but that may be too weird for most.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten this yet, but I was hoping that they would do a very aggressive mix for We Have Heaven, with each voice in one speaker. It looks like that isn't so from these posts, but that may be too weird for most.
Actually Mike, the Multi-channel mix on We Have Heaven is the most aggressive 5.1 mix on the disc. Individual voices do indeed come from each speaker. It is a very creative and effective mix. When I typed my first thoughts I had yet to listen to this track. Go get the disc, you will not be disappointed.

J

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Wow, you guys have me excited about this one. I over-listened to Fragile at one point in a wasted youth and have avoided it since, so this'll get me a fresh fix. :)
And thanks for the comments on the DTS tracks from those of us who are forced to subsist on low-res. ;)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I think it's a perfect release. It's got Dolby Digital and DTS for the DVD crowd. Not too shabby!
Plus its has plenty of Advanced Resolution for the DVDA crowd.

It's a classic Rock album that everyone knows how it sounds.
And the menus and extras are very well done.

This one is a home run in my book.

I can only hope DSOTM gets as good of treatment when its time comes.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a perfect release. It's got Dolby Digital and DTS for the DVD crowd. Not too shabby!
How's the bass?

I was a bass player in my youth and once owned a Ric 4003 specifically because Chris Squire (and Geddy Lee, for that matter) played one, and I just could not believe what it sounded like.

Probably going to buy this after work anyway, but just curious. I know that the Hotel California DVD-A disc (the title track in particular) has very strong bass (thats a good thing!).

BL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Fine, I will answer my own question:D
Bass is good, but not great. IMHO the quality of the bass on Hotel California is much better than Fragile, although that likely is simply a difference in the original recording, or perhaps in how is was EQ'd and mixed for DVD-A. It just does not seem to hit the sub like HC does. Its not weak, but I keep wishing for a little more slam.
In general though, it is a great recording. Even casual Yes fans (I am one) will enjoy this disc.
One thing that does standout on Fragile is the amount of air around the sounds.
I put this disc in, pressed play, and was awed by the sound of the acoustic guitar during the intro to Roundabout. Very, very, nice. You can hear little squeaks of noise as hands slide over the strings. I don't think I have every heard an acoustic guitar sound more real in my living room, unless I was playing it.
BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks