What's new

WTB: Digital Projector...tips? (1 Viewer)

Rich_Henn

Auditioning
Hey gang!
I am looking to buy a Digital Projector in lieu of a big screen TV.
Does anyone have any tips for me as to what to look for?

I am currently looking at a new model called "The Matinee".
It projects in 16:9 ratio to widescreen.

Rich

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
Give us some details, room size, light conditions and maybe ceiling or wall mount.

TC

Rich_Henn

Auditioning
Room size is roughly 50 feet long by 20 feet wide.
Finished basement, so it can get DARK, like pitch black.
Haven't given much thought to ceiling mount yet, may just set in on table...but I will look into ceiling mount.
Rich

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
What's your budget for it? This can make a big difference on what people recommend.
I currently have the Hitachi SX-5500 and it's great. I'm running it in medium low light at 11' to a 72x53 (approx) screen. Looks fantastic.
Lots of projector reviews on avsforum.

Rich_Henn

Auditioning
My budget is about $2000.
My finished basement is about 50 feet long, 15-20 feet wide.
DARK situation, or VERY low light. Easy to make pitch black.

Robert Mee

Agent
2K will limit you to one of the lower end LCD or DLP projectors. You might have to stretch it to 2.5K.
For hundreds of discussions and reviews goto:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=68
But be prepared for information overload.
You also need to determine if you are susceptable to DLP induced headaches and eyestrain or sensitive to rainbows, a phenomenon inherent to the colorwheel technology of DLP. If so, then you should probably go with an LCD projector, which will still project a fantastic picture. The biggest pitfalls of LCD projectors are "screendoor" and limited contrast ratios. With 50' of space to play with, you probably won't have an issue with screendoor, as you can sit far enough away from the screen that pixelation won't be a problem for you.
When on AVS, check into some of these that fit within your budget:
Panasonic AE-200 (Import only from Japan)
Panasonic AE-300 (Import only from Japan)
Panasonic 75u (I happen to have and love)
Sony HS10
Sharp MX20
NEC LT-150z
Sanyo PLV-Z1
Here's an excellent thread to get you started comparing:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=183667

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Go used CRT. By far the best picture at a lower cost. Has some disadvantages (weight, convergence, etc) but the picture is far superior to anything digital.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would also suggest seriously thinking about used CRT as well. If you go digital then we can certainly also suggest some units for you as well. I have never heard of the "Matinee" but do you have any other info on it? I am moving this to Display Devices TV's & Projectors.

Donnie Clark

Agent
Rich,

I agree with Robert, check out AVS forum for projector info. You'll have a severe headache as the website is loaded with this info and your decision will be tougher. I have been researching for a year and finally ordered the Panasonic AE-300. This will be my first projector and I can't imagine not being pleased with several of the choices in the $2k price range. All I ask for is reliability with a nice, large picture. Whatever you buy, it will be easy to unload down the road.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure to check out Projector Central (.com). Good and informative reviews. Make sure to see before you buy or alternatively, get a very good return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks