Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Thinking about an SVS sub. Any recommendations on size?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted November 16 2002 - 10:25 AM

I currently have a Paradigm PS-1000 sub which has been an excellent sub for the past few years. I have upgraded by speakers,amps and processor and now it is time for a new sub. My room is approx 18x13 and I live in an apartment. There is currently no one below me. I am leaning towards the 20-39PCi. Are the SVS subs as good for music as they are for HT? Thanks for any input. My current system is:

Front speakersPosted Imagearadigm Ref20's-v2
Surround speakersPosted Imagearadigm Ref20's-v1
Back surrounds-Paradigm Mini Monitors
Center speakerPosted Imagearadigm Studio CC
Preamp-Outlaw 950
Amps-Outlaw 750 and ATI 1502

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Dolby

John Dolby

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 16 2002 - 10:49 AM

Go avsforum.com, audio and HiFi, sticky at the top SVS Subs. Ask Tom or Ron at SVS for recommendations. FAX them your room dimensions and requirements and they will gladly help you. Good company. John

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted November 16 2002 - 11:22 AM

Well we hang out here a good bit too ;^) You probably don't need to hear much from us but I think if you go to the Reviews page Matt, you'll see there is nearly as much about naturally clean and authoritative music reproduction as for HT. Music reproduction never has and never will take a back seat to movie bass at SVS. We like to tell folks that "musical" subs are not always up to the task of home theater, but a quality sub that is capable of deep, loud, clean and flat bass is probably going to sound great on both. I like to think we build the latter. "Musical" is a fine descriptor as far as it goes, but often serves as an apology for being too expensive and performing too poorly either down deep or up loud. So much for my 2 cents, just didn't want you to think SVS doesn't peek here for consumer questions. PS, given your situation (a smallish room, in an apartment) I think the PCi is a great choice. It has more than enough capacity to break your lease if you forget your neighbors and fire up AOTC a bit loud ;^) The PC-Plus would never even get a chance to stretch its legs. Save your money and buy more DVD's instead. Stick with the PCi. Ron

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted November 16 2002 - 01:04 PM

Thanks Ron and John for your help and input. This helps me out a lot on making up my mind. I am on a budget and the SVS line looks like a great value. I look forward to ordering and hearing one of these great sounding subs.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted November 16 2002 - 02:06 PM

[quote] The PC-Plus would never even get a chance to stretch its legs. Save your money and buy more DVD's instead. Stick with the PCi. [quote]
This is why I dig SVS. They never try to upsell you, but rather offer an honest assessment of what they think works best in a given situation.

I was perplexed myself as to what size SVS to purchase. In the end, I decided to go with the jack-of-all-trades 20-39 PCi. I never crank my setup to the max, so the greater output of the 25-31 was irrevelant to me, and I didn't really need the subsonic extension of the 16-46. Am I missing anything? I don't think so - I still grin like a silly fool every time I play the thing...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users