Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Deep Space Nine announcement & Box Art from StarTrek.com!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#1 of 98 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 09:57 PM

http://startrek.com/...s.asp?ID=126423

Posted Image Posted Image

[rant]DS9 Comes to DVD in February[/rant]
Star Trek fans wondering what to do with life once all seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation on DVD have been released come December can take heart: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on DVD is following right behind.

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that the entire series of DS9, plus a Gamma Quadrant's worth of special extras, will be issued on DVD in 2003 with Season One due on February 25th.

Season One of DS9 on DVD will come in a six-disc collector's box set containing, naturally, all of the Season One episodes, along with new, never before seen featurettes. New seasons of DS9 will be available every other month.

The DS9 DVD's feature newly remixed Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and exclusive retrospective featurettes. Fans who pick up the TNG Seasons Six and Seven will be able to get a peek at the upcoming DS9 DVD's, as special trailers have been added to the TNG sets.

The DS9 DVD Contents are as follows:

Disc 1: "Emissary," "Past Prologue," "A Man Alone"

Disc 2: "Babel," "Captive Pursuit," "Q-Less," "Dax"

Disc 3: "The Passenger," "Move Along Home," "The Nagus," "Vortex"

Disc 4: "Battle Lines," "The Storyteller," "Progress," "If Wishes Were Horses"

Disc 5: "The Forsaken," "Dramatis Personae," "Duet," "In the Hands of the Prophets"

Disc 6: Special Features, including the feature Deep Space Nine: A Bold Beginning, Crew Dossier: Kira Nerys, Michael Westmore's Aliens: Season One, Secrets of Quark's Bar, Alien Artifacts: Season One, Deep Space Nine Sketchbook, Deep Space Nine Chronicles, Section 31 Hidden Files and a Photo Gallery.

So DS9 fans should take January to clear off more shelf space, because on February 25, the wormhole opens.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 98 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 10:34 PM

Just saw this over at ign and over at DVDFile. Man, is that box art ugly!

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#3 of 98 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 10:39 PM

Like i mentioned on another forum. I could care less what the box art looks like. Just give me the dvd's :-) Thats all i want. All i ever look at on the shelf is the spine anyway

capt

#4 of 98 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 11:09 PM

As much as I love The Next Generation, I haven't bought any of the DVD sets because I can still turn on TNN almost any night of the week and see two or four episodes.

But DS9 quickly disappeared from the airwaves following the conclusion of its seven year run. Not even any of my local affiliates carry it in syndication. So these new sets will be a priority for me.

BTW--has anyone heard of any plans to release the entire Next Gen. series in one money-saving mega-set?
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#5 of 98 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 11:36 PM

Quote:
Man, is that box art ugly!
I don't know - it's not the simple design of the TNG sets, but it doesn't look as ridiculously overpackaged, either.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 98 OFFLINE   Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 11:45 PM

Great news. Posted Image

#7 of 98 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 12:12 AM

Looking forward to getting the sets and Voyager when it is released but I must agree in regards to the packaging that it does look ugly. I'll bet the R2 packaging will be very nice though......

Spero D.

#8 of 98 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 12:57 AM

GIMME GIMME GIMME.

I havent bought TNG sets either. Theyre just too expensive, but I wont be able to say NO to DS9 sets.

#9 of 98 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 01:00 AM

THIS is the Trek series I've been waiting for! As stated above, can still see the others on TV. Voyager doesn't count Posted Image

#10 of 98 OFFLINE   Carlos V III

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 02:03 AM

I'll take the ugly packaging, but they better lower the price since it doesn't look like they're using (wasting) anywhere near the amount of material as they did on the TNG sets!

God! The more I look at it the more butt-ugly it gets! Posted Image
----------------------------
"Roll for initiative, Monkeyboy!
Hoody Hoo!

#11 of 98 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 02:13 AM

I did'nt see this thread and I Posted a similar thread a Plea for Rick Easton to call paramount quick. These are the worst looking and designed cases ever. Who at paramount are coming up with these awful designs? Ric stuff is miles above anything they've done
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#12 of 98 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 02:43 AM

It's different. I like it.

What I really like is the inside... it is such a pain in the ass to access individual discs in the TNG sets.

#13 of 98 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 02:48 AM

I agree that the box is ugly, but I'm not going to complain. I do like the disc holders better this way.

I do hope that there is an MSRP that yeilds a lower cost this go around. The TNG fiasco was unfortunate.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#14 of 98 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 03:07 AM

I've accepted the fact that no studio other than FOX will ever use a multi DVD case which holds more than 3-disc's. I understand that a simple booklet and slip cover are just to difficult for studio's to do. But with all the resources available I would have thought they would have come up with something a little more appealing. Nevertheless I am glad the disc's are coming out. Ugly artwork would never prevent me from owning any Star Trek disc.

Posted Image

#15 of 98 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 03:30 AM

John, since they sold a ton of TNG Box sets with No MSRP I don't see them changing this, Unfortunately
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#16 of 98 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 03:31 AM

BLECH

Sorry Paramount, I'm going to have to pre-judge on art alone here. You have the right idea, but 1- The logo NEEDS TO GO. Put the real logo on there. 2- It should be white/silver etching on bronze metallic or the black, not this rainbow monstrocity.

#17 of 98 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 15 2002 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
BTW--has anyone heard of any plans to release the entire Next Gen. series in one money-saving mega-set?

They'd better not unless they're also refunding the difference to those who bought them individually, as they were released. Lots of angry fans otherwise.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#18 of 98 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 04:17 AM

Hmmm....Paramount is not wasting any time on the DS9 release. I for one will be picking them up- I especially look forward to the last few seasons involving the Dominion War story arc- those are the best sci-fi storylines to ever come on television IMHO.
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#19 of 98 OFFLINE   Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 04:26 AM

Yes, I agree that the box art is not what it could be, but it's the DVD and episodes that's important here. It looks like they'll be doing as ggod a job on these discs as they did with TNG, which will make me happy.

Bring em on... Posted Image
Norm

#20 of 98 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 04:27 AM

The only thing I like better about the packaging is that you can get to the discs easier, kinda like what Babylon 5 is doing.

I am psyched that it will be coming out, though. In many ways I like DS9 better than TNG.

I may decide to do my own design after a few of the sets are released. I think I will need a break after TNG!

Ric

Forum Nav Content I Follow