What's new

Can replace RSP-1066 with AVM20v2....should I do it? (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I just bought a Rotel RSP-1066, but I can have complete refund and buy a Anthem AVM20v2 for 2000$ US brand new. DON'T ask me where, please, it's a special situation.

So for the price I've paid for the Rotel, it will cost me only 1000$ to upgrade. Will it be that much better?

Did someone did the same switch lately?

Sigh. This "upgredatis acousticalis" sickness is affecting me so hard....:b

What are the pro and cons of the Anthem compare to the Rotel?

BTW, I will be uising the RMB-1095 RMB-1050 for amps, and Paradigm Reference Studio all around...

DanaA

Screenwriter
Levesque,
You're cracking me up ;) , but the strange thing is I understand you completely. This is like three changes in three weeks for you. Anyway, I have the 1066 and have only heard the Anthem in the showroom. I did read one article though in the audio press saying that the Anthem was a bit better. What you'll probably have to do is take home the Anthem to audition if possible. If it was me, I'd probably end up getting it because I get feverish like you sometimes. Please tell me you're talkin U.S. dollars, not Canadian. Even with U.S. dollars, it's an amazing deal. I'm personally really curious how the two will compare to your ears.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Levesque,

What is it about the Rotel 1066 that you dislike or find as a limitation? I am not trying to defend the 1066 (I am an AVM-20 owner), but unless you are rolling in money, upgrading just to be upgrading is not the right approach. If you have specific reasons why you want to upgrade, beyond the "it must be better because it is more expensive", then that might help us (and you) determine whether the upgrade is a good one.

OTOH, if you are telling us that you auditioned the AVM-20 in your system and it was far better than with the 1066 and it was everything you wanted, I would say jump all over this deal. Sorry about coming across as being practical, but after personally going through several receivers, preamps and processors over a 2+ year period, my wife and I determined exactly what would make us happy and then waited until we found it.

Michael

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Dana, 3 change in 3 weeks is a reasonnable 3 weeks for me...:D
BTW, I'm converting CDN to US to be easier. The deal is 2800$ cdn.
I really like the Rotel. It's the first time I'm that impress with a unit. But I hope someone that actually had both in-house will actually chime in.
I really want to know if the difference in price make that much of a difference. I will probably be able to do an in-house comparison next week. My dealer have a demo.
It's so tough to live with the "what if..."...:D

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Micheal. I was posting when you were!
First, I'm not rolling in money, but let say that money is not really a problem here...;)
I will actually give it a try next week in my system to see if it's really better. My post is to obtain some opinion on how both products compare, before doing an in-house trial.
I mean, what are the pros and cons of both products.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
don't look for any long heart felt reponses to this thread, people are affraid that by the time they type it in, you will start another thread saying "anyone upgrade AVM20 to Lex MC12????"-this is a TIC post (sort of)

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Come on Levesque !!
Buy Canadian !!
I auditioned the 1066 locally in Ottawa against the Anthem. I chose the Anthem (and I got a good deal on it too!), mainly because of what I percieved as better sound (the audition used the RMB-1095 on both pre-pro's), and the THX Ultra2 goods as well as the AnthemLogic modes.
Tom (uh, with the appropriate flag tho' eh?)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
IMO if the lack of tweakability isn't a problem for your system with the Rotel I'd rather see you spend the money on better speakers.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
people are affraid that by the time they type it in, you will start another thread saying "anyone upgrade AVM20 to Lex MC12????"-
rodneyH. If I understand you well, I should save time to everyone and go directly to the Lex? LOL...just kidding:D
Andrew. I was thinking the same think. I will definitely upgrade the speakers soon... But the deal is so good on the AVM20, that I can't really refuse it... I'm almost paying the same price our neighbors pay in US $...but in CDN $ !!!
But I already put one aside for next week :D Will post my impressions and compare with the Rotel in-house.
I didn't say I will do it, but if my ears are impress, I will definitely do it...
It's the lack of tweakability, with the Rotel, that is pushing me in the AVM20 direction.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
That's a great deal. The two things I miss (don't laugh) on my 1066 are a tuner and headphone jack. For $1k and the additional feature set, "upgradability" and tweakability of the AVM20, I'd jump on it even if they had "equivalent" sound. Customer service seems to be both very good. Probably not a bad choice between these two. Make sure you post your impressions on the board.

Bob

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I made the exact same upgrade not too long ago. The very limited setup options of the 1066 when compared to the AVM 20 are what prompted me to consider the upgrade; the difference in sound quality and additional processing options are what made me actually go through with it.

I found the Rotel a bit bright (I'm using an RMB-1075 and RB-1050 for my setup with M&K THX speakers and sub), while the AVM 20 is noticeably smoother sounding.

The THX processing modes are very nice too. I find THX Ultra2 Cinema mode to be superior to the simulated EX mode provided by the 1066 (and by the AVM 20 as well). I think it's worth the upgrade if you're going to make use of the additional setup options and processing modes. It also has a longer lifespan thanks to its upgradeability. With the 1066, it's as good as it's going to get (which is still pretty good, mind you).

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
You are not comparing apples to apples. At the 1066s price point you are hard pressed to do better. Are you really going to use all the extra features on the Anthem or do you just have the "fever".
I totally agree with Anthony, upgrade the speakers, dont kid yourself there is always a deal to be made on the Anthem. I can buy a new Anthem for under 2grand now, have been able to since its introduction. Dont think I havent had my share of sleepless nights worrying about wether or not to get this beast. I think for its price point the Anthem is the (or one of) finest, most versatile piece going, they had their act together when they designed it.
I bought their 2x200 and 3x200 amps when they first came out and put a Parasound 2500 on them, Anthem had no Pre-Pro at the time. The Parasound has long since bit the dust, some sort of bug that no one could figure out, besides it was too complicated anyway. I bought a Marantz AV9000 (not my first choice) at a steal, $900 new in the box. I look hard at the Anthem today and ask myself all the questions, I cannot justify the purchase even at the price I can get it for. Just because I LOVE it is not a good enough reason.
I am sure if you sit tight you will see this fine Pre-Amp roll by quite often at a reduced price.
My Marantz is wonderful for what I paid for, after all it is the sound right. . .

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I've decided to fallow Andrew here. Will keep the Rotel RSP-1066. I think the difference in sound will only be marginal from what I've heard on different forum with the Anthem. The tweakability is lacking a bit, but I have a dedicated HT that is quite forgiving... All speakers at the same distance, etc.
I just decided to put Studio-100 in front, instead of the Studio-40 (after 1 year of abuse my dealer is giving me full credit...). Why? because I had all laminate, but my wife really like the look of the veneer (like the woodfloors). And I was feeling nervous of driving 180W max speakers with a 200W amp (I send an E-Mail to Paradigm and a tech told me they didn't "recommend" doing this...I didn't really believe them...but...).
I'm using the Studio-100 since 3 days (still breakin-in) and really don't regret the move. Those speakers really disappear, and sound great with Rotel. The RSP-1066 continue to amaze me every day. Just to thing of all the details I was missing... :D
Thanx all for your time!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks