Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Has anyone else recieved their copy of "Sunset Blvd."?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 11:34 PM

Mine is in the post - should be here by monday morning. I live in Britain and ordered it from Laser Visual Software which is a site that is famous for getting titles over two weeks early. Cost me £18.99/$30.13, which is quite expensive for my sensibilities, but I just thought "what the heck" on this occassion and ordered it. They have Roman Holiday in stock too. I have not read reviews of either yet, but I have heard that the transfer for Sunset Blvd. is very good. Posted Image

As soon as I get it, I'll give my opinion on it.

Thanks for reading.

Gordy

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,598 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 01:50 AM

There should be a piece on line at Bits later today.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#3 of 15 ONLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 14 2002 - 01:57 AM

Matt Brighton at dvdauthority.com posted his review today. It was very positive. His only real complaint was that the commentary track was presented a bit dryly. It can be reached by clicking here.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 01:58 AM

Thanks, Bob, I'll be sure to check it out.

It's a great film and I have been looking forward to the DVD for a long time now. Posted Image

Gordy

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Sergio Angelini

Sergio Angelini

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:05 AM

A good review and excellent screen grabs can be seen at THE BIG PICTURE at:

http://www.thebigpic....nset_Boulevard

Apparently the work by LDI is as good as always

I ordered my copy from PLAY for £ 14.99 though I shan't get it until the 16th at the earliest...

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:09 AM

Thanks for the link, Ken. Posted Image

I'm glad that Paramount chose to work with LDI for this release. I can't wait to revel in the quality of the transfer! Posted Image

Quote:
Mark Brighton said: "My only major complaint is the featurette with Edith Head: The Paramount years. This is the exact same featurette that is found on the To Catch a Thief DVD as well as the Roman Holiday DVD. I've no problems with featurettes, but to pass the same one off on multiple discs is just tacky."
Well, I still haven't recieved my To Catch A Thief DVD, so I don't know how good this featurette is, but for those who have no intention of buying TCAT, this will make sense. But as long as Paramount don't include it on 10 or so other titles, then I guess it's okay. Like I said, I have been looking forward to Sunset Blvd. coming to DVD - and in a SE to boot, and I can't wait to experience this classic again in a new high-quality DVD transfer.

Thanks again,

Gordy

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:22 AM

To work, Sergio! Cheers! Posted Image

Quote:
Jeff McNeal at The Big Picture said: "I really wish the studios employing LDI would include a brief "before and after restoration" clip on their DVD's to show the great pains and effort they undertook to rescue films like this from oblivion. Paramount did in fact include a nice feature about restoration ROMAN HOLIDAY. I would have enjoyed seeing one for SUNSET BOULEVARD, too."
I agree 100%. Lowry and his crew should feel proud of their work and exactly what they do should be shown on each DVD they worked on. I would love to see a before-and-after of Zhivago.

Great review though by McNeal - 5 globes for a film over 50 years-old! Wow! Posted Image

Gordy

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:28 AM

Interesting, unfortunate news.

Sunset Boulevard (special edition) is being sold in a Billy Wilder set, with Sabrina and Stalag 17.

Roman Holiday (special edition) is being sold in an Audrey Hepburn set, with Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Both sets contain Sabrina! How annoying.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:34 AM

What are the odds on major B&Ms stocking this? I really want to pick this up on it's release day and am waiting to place my next online order in early December.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 04:46 AM

The screenshots on the BIG Picture Review are incredible, I can't wait to get this!

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 08:18 AM

i used to be a page at paramount studios. sometimes i would give studio tours.

one place i *always* stopped at was the original studio gate which (unfortunately) isn't used anymore.

i always said, "anyone remember the part in sunset boulevard where norma desmond comes driving through in her car? it was done RIGHT HERE!!! you're standing on history folks!"

very few people knew what the hell i was talking about...

but then i would take them to the medical facility which doubled as the porch for the flight-instructor chick from top gun and they all knew exactly what i was talking about.

sheesh... Posted Image

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 14 2002 - 09:31 AM

The Big Picture mentions this was done to be output to film...

Is this just the standard lower-res 2K restoration, or high enough to actually qualify as a preservation of the film?

This DVD is on my purchase list...

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 10:27 PM

DVD File's review: www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_5/sunsetboulevard.html

Posted Image

Gordy

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 08:04 AM

My review goes up later tonight.

Outstanding DVD. Transfer is first-rate.

This was the first time I ever saw the movie,
and I have to tell you....I was floored!

One of the best classic films I have ever seen.

What's also funny is that BIG PICTURE took the
exact same screenshots that I selected (and vise-
versa). Seems we both have the same taste when it
comes to favorite stills.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 15 2002 - 10:05 AM

Just got through the whole dvd and like Ron stated the dvd presentation is excellent. However, the absence of film grain does take a way the feeling that you're replicating a movie theater experience when watching this dvd.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

Forum Nav Content I Follow