What's new

Severe problem with X-Files: Season 6 episode "Triangle" (1 Viewer)

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I just received my X-Files: Season 6 boxset (R1 USA) from amazon.com and found a really bad mistake from 20th Century Fox. The episode "Triangle" looks unbelievably awful - like unproduced raw footage! Even my VHS-copy looks much better (really!). It seems like that they accidentally used wrong master for the episode. Plus take a notice how the titlesequence is 4:3 version streched to 16:9 format, instead of being the normal cropped 16:9 that every other episode has! Check your X-Files boxsets people. Am I the only with this screw-up? Or is Fox replacing Disc #1 with a correct master for the "Triangle"? Man I'm bummed, it's the best episode of the season...:frowning:
Jari

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem with my boxset too! I was shocked when i watched it on my DVD-ROM laptop. During the scene where the crew storms the ballroom attacking the Nazis, the picture actually develops a new set of black bars and gets smaller!. I bought mine from Best Buy. It looks almost as bad as the Manhunter directors cut. I hope FOX announces a recall.

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Same problem over here, the black bars begin at the minute 33.13 and ends at 42.09 it stars after the comercial break the picture still be anamorphic but whats going on with the major studios ? where is the quality control I hope they do a correct pressing

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Very few reviewers watch all episodes of TV boxes before reviewing. Unfortunately, some reviewers do not acknowledge this.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I posted about this about a week ago at alt.tv.x-files in a thead complaining about the packaging and nobody else seemed to even notice what I said about "Triangle". It's definitely a problem, but fortunately that problem only applies to "Triangle". All the other episodes in the set look fine. Regardless, Fox should remaster the episode and recall the first disc, because this is absolutely unacceptable.

Esten

Supporting Actor
:frowning: I hope my S6 set from amazon.ca($71 shipped,yay me!:D ) doesn't have the same problem when it gets here.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Is everyone that is having the problem using a widescreen set or DVD-Rom software? Could this be a problem only with the anamorphic part? I only ask because I would have thought this problem would have been voiced a lot more by now if it was affecting all discs, unless it only affects certain players or hardware.

Or maybe with Band Of Brothers, Babylon 5, ST:TNG 5, Sports Night, LOTR, AOTC, and the million other releases in the past two weeks, not everyone has gotten to it yet. I'll be checking mine tonight on my regular old 36" TV.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Very few reviewers watch all episodes of TV boxes before reviewing. Unfortunately, some reviewers do not acknowledge this
At least as of late, Fox has only sent out discs 1 and 6(or 7, whichever is last) of a box set, therefore if the ep does not fall on those discs we wouldn't have seen it

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just curious...I'll try mine on my player and DVD-rom tonight-I assume it will have the same problem.

It's such a shame a high-end expensive set like this is plagued with problems. I just got around to watching my Season 3 set for the first time, and after having a problem with some pixelization on "D.P.O.', a search of the various forums found that this set was quite glitchy. I was also not able to start the episode "Piper Maru" on my DVD-Rom, but my Toshiba SD-1700 got through without any noticeable problem. Fortunately I got all the way through season without any other issues, but it sounds like I was lucky.

Joe Strickland

Auditioning
I have the same problem with 'Triangle.'

Isn't it interesting that this was the only episode that was shown letterboxed on FOX? Is it possible that they just didn't bother to use the HDTV transfer?

As for the changing aspect ratio near the end, it seems to me that it did that during the original broadcast when they switched to the 'split screen / split time' scene.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've thought of a few possibilities as to why this particular episode looks so terrible. One possility is, as Joe Strickland said, that since the episode has *ALWAYS* been in widescreen, Fox may not have saw it necessary to do a new master. Another reason may be the Chris Carter commentary. If he used a video with any slight difference from the original version to record his commentary, they may have needed to use that particular episode to sync up the commentary for the DVD release. I also thought of the possibility that the optical effects used in the episode may, like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", result in some worsening of the image quality, but after I realized how extensively effects shots are used in "X-Files", I shot down that possibility. In any case, Fox NEEDS to offer a recall, as this particular episode is a fan favorite and undoubtely one of the best in the series.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Definitely much lower resolution. I actually have some SVCDs that are of higher quality! Very disappointing.
-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure when there's an answer available that Fox will be forthcoming with it. You've lodged the complaint, now it's time to be paitent while it's rooted out

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks