Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Firefly AR Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Chad E

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 05:43 PM

I've really been enjoying Firefly this season, but one thing is bugging me... Global Television, which carries the series in Canada, showed the first two eps in widescreen, but ever since then it's been P&S. The cropping seems really bad in places, and it's really bugging me. And it's probably even more noticeable than it would have been, because they teased us with widescreen at the beginning! Posted Image

I'm just wondering... does Fox continue to show this series in WS? If so, it's time for me to send a letter to Global... but it won't do much good if this is what they are getting from the originating American network.

Thanks!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 02:10 AM

IIRC, the past few Firefly episodes are in fullscreen (MAR), not widescreen (like the first early episodes were).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 02:31 AM

It is widescreen on Fox's digital channels

16:9 is Joss's official prefered AR for the show, and unfortunately Fox only agreed to keep it widescreen if it did gangbusters, which it didn't Posted Image

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 03:44 AM

It looks way better in WS. I've compared both 4:3 & 16:9 versions of the same Eps and the 4:3 versions seem very cramped in some shots. I hope Firefly makes it to dvd.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Amy Barnes

Amy Barnes

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 03:57 AM

>>Fox only agreed to keep it widescreen if it did gangbusters, which it didn't

That's interesting--I didn't realize broadcasting in widescreen was more expensive. By the way, wasn't last Sunday's Angel in full screen? I can't remember now if it regularly goes back and forth or not--I always think of it as widescreen.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 18 2002 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
That's interesting--I didn't realize broadcasting in widescreen was more expensive.
It's isn't, strictly speaking. But Fox feared that the low numbers were a turn off to your average viewer, who would flip the channel.