What's new

LOTR EE vs. Ultimate Gift Set (1 Viewer)

BarbaraN

Grip
I purchased the 4 disk set of LOTR today for 23.99 at Target (had a dollar off coupon) but haven't deboxed yet.
Target didn't have the gift set and I wasn't sure I needed it. Now I am wondering if the Ultimate Gift set would be the better purchase. Are the extra goodies packed with Ultimate gift worth the difference in price? I do have the rebate coupon packed in the 2 disk version for $5 off the 4 disk set and $10 off the ultimate gift set.

Thanks.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Frankly speaking, I was shocked by reading the forums how many people are planning to settle to with the 4 disc vs. the Gift set. Unless you're extremely strapped for cash, which is understandable.

Typically speaking, for $25 more, you are getting, beside the 4 disc:

Sideshow Weta Argonath "statues" or "book/dvd ends"
3 Decipher LOTR foil cards
National Geographic DVD "new edition"
Mini LOTR fan club magazine
Very pretty Alan Lee designed box

To be getting either set period, you are probably a pretty big LOTR fan. In my opinion the extras are well worth an extra $25. For me personally, the Geo disc is worth $10 or $15 alone. The cards are gravy. Box is neat, but will probably stash somewhere especially since the statues are taken out. But ah.....I had to have the statues, since I'm starting a little Sideshow Weta statue collection (won the Saruman statue in a contest). Given that you're a LOTR fan, how could you not love this stuff?

Edit: Also, keep in mind of the fact that you can get a rebate ($10 I think?) if you bought the 2 disc as well, although I'm certainly not going to butcher my 2 disc copy for the rebate (signed by Viggo Mortensen)

-C

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Given that you're a LOTR fan, how could you not love this stuff?
Well, I'm a LOTR fan (both Jackson's film and Tolkien's books), but statues/bookends do nothing for me and don't justify an extra $25 expense. I would rather put that $25 towards a couple of films that I don't own on DVD yet and that I will get more enjoyment out of than I would from some bookends. But that's my personal taste; if statues are your thing, that's great. I just don't think that being a LOTR fan means that extraneous merchandise like statues are necessarily of value to someone.

DJ

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HOw about the coupon for free admission to
The Two Towers which is included
in the Gift Set.
That to me knocked $7.50 off the price of the
Gift Set.
Mark

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Mark, that Two Towers ticket is also in the 4-disc set.
The bookends are tempting, but I settled for the regular extended edition.
I will probably end up buying something from Sideshow Toys eventually, so I'll put the $25 towards that. :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Just got the boxed gift set this afternoon from Best Buy.

Friggin' AWESOME!!! Well worth it especially if you don't have the National Geographic documentary already (and it's been extended), and like cool bookends modeled directly after the special effects movie props from WETA.

This is one set I am going to go through inch by inch.

Eat your heart out George Lucas!!!

Dan

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I don´t think the National Geographic Doc will offer much additional insight, once you are done with all the extras on the 4 disc set. That leaves the merchandise as additinal value. That does nothing for me, but everybody has different opinions there.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The gift set holds nothing of interest to me and I could not justify dropping an extra $25 for a disc I'll never watch and a set of bookends. I stuck with the 4-disc EE.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
It was the 4 disc set for me, without question. I laughed when I saw that they wanted $25 more for some goofy bookends, special packaging, and a National Geographic special that seems a bit redundant after the wealth of information included on the Appendices discs. I'm a big Tolkien/LOTR fan, but come on. I'll save that $25 for something useful...like another new movie purchase! :D

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
the scene where they passed the argonath was one of my favorites from the film, so i got the gift set.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I got the 5-disc gift set. IMHO it was worth the extra $25 for what I got... I LOVE the bookends and the Nat'l Geographic DVD has more special features than the previously released disc. The box is also real purty :)
Here is the way I see it:
If you like LOTR: GET THE 4-DISC
If you love LOTR: GET THE GIFT SET
:D

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Looked at both, decided that it's not worth twice the price for the bookends, which will be forgotten in a week, and beging collecting dust...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It was worth every penny to me to get the gift set. The bookends are very sturdy, the box is beautiful, and the extra DVD is nice. $25 wasn't too much to get those nice little odds and ends to go with this great film.
Buy what you like :)
The Gift Set was well worth it to me!
Take care,
Chuck

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The movie ticket is in both sets.
A coworker of mine is the biggest LotR fan I know, dating back from his childhood when he re-read the books constantly.
He continues to reread the books to this day, and has watched the Fellowship film many, many times.
His office at work has many LotR action figures and other toys. And he has more at home.
He bought a Gameboy Advance just to play the new LotR role-playing games.
He didn't buy the 'Ultimate' set. He just didn't consider the extras worth it, and he has seen the Nat'l Geo special and found it too fluffy compared to other supplements.
I guess I should go tell him that he is not a true fan. :rolleyes

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Am I the only one here who finds the rolling eyes smiley a tad smug and cynical?
Michael, why is your friend "the biggest LOTR fan" you know? I mean, you are clearly defining fans based on how many LOTR things they purchase; toys, video games, et cetera. You can honestly tell me that he sees "value" in toys that he surely does not play with.
Obviously, what one buys is not representitive of ones own fan status.
I consider myself a fan of the series, books et al. And All I own are the books, the theatrical and EE DVDs, and a few posters. I bought the gift set. Those bookends are damn cool :)
cheers!
Josh

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Josh,
I don't know what I did to set you off, my response is strictly in response to this quote:
"Given that you're a LOTR fan, how could you not love this stuff?"
My point is simply that lots of LotR fans don't give a crap about things like the bookends. And that some do. And neither makes them more or less of a fan.
Those bookends are damn cool
I've seen my friend play with his toys, but I suspect mostly he likes the way they look.
I'll bet he plays with his toys more than you play with your bookends, ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aren't the bookends supposed to be to hold the entire set, once all the movies are out? Hence why the set packaging looks like a book? I think it'll be cool to have the entire trilogy between the bookends, displayed prominently in my HT. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.