Photo

Time to buy X-MEN 1.5 (box and pubs)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#21 of 79 Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 06:14 AM

1.5? What is up with that? it makes no sense at all. I hope it's dropped.

Dean
"Earnest Hemingway once wrote 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the 2nd part." - Morgan Freeman, Se7en

My DVD Collection

#22 of 79 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 08:43 AM

I really don't think the "1.5" is any more misleading than a "special edition" banner. Movies such as the original "Star Wars" trilogy and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" were re-released theatrically as newly cut "Special Editions" and that doesn't necessarily mean that people are expecting a new cut of every movie that carries the "Special Edition" banner. The way I see it, the only way people are going to assume that the "1.5" means an all-new cut of the movie is if they're familiar with the past rumors of a new cut.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#23 of 79 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 09:45 AM

This is one DVD I will not be repurchasing. If they would have given us a new cut with extra footage, I would have picked it up for sure. The 1.5 added to the title also seems a bit confusing, and makes no sense since we don't have a new cut. Looks like Fox is trying to dupe consumers into thinking this is the new cut that was rumored without actually delivering.

J

#24 of 79 GaryEA

GaryEA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 10:02 AM

Quote:
I really don't think the "1.5" is any more misleading than a "special edition" banner.

"Special Edition" is over-used and abused. Anything with the word "edition" in it is over-used.

"1.5", IMO, clearly tries to impress upon people that the film is revised, not the DVD set.

Quote:
Movies such as the original "Star Wars" trilogy and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" were re-released theatrically as newly cut "Special Editions" and that doesn't necessarily mean that people are expecting a new cut of every movie that carries the "Special Edition" banner.

True, both films were re-released with their titles changed to reflect the alterations, but neither film inserted the phrase "special edition" into the opening credits.

But we're talking about DVD releases, not home video. By the time Episodes IV-VI are released on DVD, "Special Edition" won't be used on the package because Lucas says that there aren't any other versions. CE3K was released as a "Collector's Edition" after being re-edited by Speilberg in a "definitive" cut.

Quote:
The way I see it, the only way people are going to assume that the "1.5" means an all-new cut of the movie is if they're familiar with the past rumors of a new cut.

Which is a lot of people. These rumors were reported in such magazines as Entertainment Weekly, which has a broad base of readers.

The studios, while jockeying to trumpet each product as better and more appealing, has really eroded the phrases they depend upon. Now, these phrases, which meant something at one time, are vague and meaningless a vast portion of the time.

Another sign that DVD is beginning to eat itself on its way up the mountain.

-g

#25 of 79 Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted November 13 2002 - 11:22 AM

Why do they release an almost same package? Why wouldn't they wait til X2 DVD comes out, and put together a new boxset containing a real X-MEN 1.5 and X2?

#26 of 79 Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 04:37 AM

Aaryn Because that would make to much sense. And like someone else pointed out they are trying to build up hype for X-Men 2. I still think that 1.5 implies its a new cut and it should be dropped from the title. I will have to wait on reviews to see if it warrents a repurchase of this movie for the DTS sounds track. I could care less about extras, but they are fun to watch sometimes. They just don't hold buying value to me. I am all about picture and sound quality.

#27 of 79 Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 04:57 AM

Quote:
Does it feature the alternate score?

No, there was actually never going to be one. If you ask John Ottman, he's as bemused as anyone regarding stories that he was ever going to re-score X-Men. It was more bogus rubbish to have spawned from AICN.

Dan

#28 of 79 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,452 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 04:59 AM

1.5 in programming speak implies significant changes to the product. If it's just minor changes, they should call it 1.0.1 or something to that effect... Posted Image

Now that Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition is out, the bar has been duly raised for all revisiting of current high-profile Hollywood titles and this X-Men disc will fall woefully short, I fear.

#29 of 79 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:00 PM

Just saw this cover art on the Bits. Figured I'd add my voice of agreement that the "1.5" and the cover art are both terrible. I think the 1.5 has to be the lamest marketing ploy I've seen in a while. MAYBE if the movie were about computers. Or math. Or it starred Mini-Me. But this is just dopey. Figured this would be a re-purchase, but now... not so sure.

#30 of 79 Brenton

Brenton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 02:10 PM

The cover! It's so ugly!

And 1.5??? Gimme a break!

#31 of 79 Thomas H G

Thomas H G

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 03:27 PM

The cover is ugly. I didn't buy the 1st one because I heard that they would do a DC. I'm still waiting and I might just keep on waiting after seeing the "1.5" that they're putting out. What a load of POOOOOh
My Collection at DVD Aficiando

boogieman187 on XBL

#32 of 79 DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 03:50 PM

From dvdfile.com October 22

Quote:
X-Men update - 12:03am

Last but not least, an update on Fox Home Entertainment's upcoming new two-disc special edition reissue of the Bryan Singer blockbuster X-Men. Due on February 11th, this set was originally planned to feature a new extended cut of the film, code-named 'X-Men 1.5,' but alas this new version has been dropped along with the numerical tag. Only the 96-minute theatrical cut will be included, and a Fox spokesperson has also indicated that the number of deleted scenes and participants on the audio commentary previously announced have not yet been fully determined and may change as the release draws near. Unfortunately, these specs have already been released to retailers and via the official Fox press website, so beware any preorder information to the contrary. Stay tuned for further details...

Looks like they changed their mind about dropping the 1.5 after all... shame that.

#33 of 79 Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 05:01 PM

I hope this release completely bombs, if only to teach Fox never to retitle a movie with "version numbers" like 1.5 ever again. What a completely ridiculous idea!!!

#34 of 79 GaryEA

GaryEA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 06:09 PM

From the DVDFile article;

Quote:
Due on February 11th, this set was originally planned to feature a new extended cut of the film, code-named 'X-Men 1.5,' but alas this new version has been dropped along with the numerical tag.

Excellent.

It's still a shame that a new cut didn't come to fruition (hey, what can you do?), but at least the marketing has been adjusted accordingly.

Was the "1.5" tag Singer's idea, or Fox's?

-g

#35 of 79 Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 01:07 AM

Was planning on buying this one since I can't find my original Posted Image , but if there's a price difference no sale, will stick with the first version.

#36 of 79 Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 03:04 AM

I also got rid of my dvd when I heard there was another version in the works. This was a year ago now (and R1 dvds aren't that easy to dispose of in the UK), so I'll be picking this one up if only for the dts soundtrack.

#37 of 79 Jeff

Jeff

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted November 15 2002 - 08:36 PM

This is very WRONG! Can you imagine if the new Pulp Fiction UE was released as Pulp Fiction 1.5? I feel sorry for the retailers that have to TRY to explain to people that it's the same, first, Xmen movie and that they have no idea why it's called "Xmen 1.5".

As far as I'm concerned Fox is doing this to get more sales, making people think it's a different cut. And if this is truly the case, then Fox is lying!

Jeff

#38 of 79 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,588 posts

Posted November 16 2002 - 01:16 AM

I find it disturbing that we have a whole thread of anger over the 1.5 thing when this was posted at DVD File last month (while this thread was started since that time)
Quote:
Due on February 11th, this set was originally planned to feature a new extended cut of the film, code-named 'X-Men 1.5,' but alas this new version has been dropped along with the numerical tag.

But even worse is that this same info was then quoted earlier in this thread...and the complaints kept coming anyway.

Sheesh. Come on people.

No 1.5 relax already.

It is NOT MISLEADING if there was a new cut. The new cut WAS the 1.5 of the thing, and the 1.5 came and went with that cut. That seems to have been the very point, that we were getting a new cut of X-Men. Bummer that it had to be nixed, but it wasn't like Fox was lying to people or even misleading them.

At least if the DVDFile report is correct. Note that DVDFile also pointed out this
Quote:
Unfortunately, these specs have already been released to retailers and via the official Fox press website

Anyway, X-Men in DTS, just what we were asking Peter for way back when. I always thought that Fox and Singer seemed interested in doing some more with the film (like DTS or another cut) but that time/other was keeping it from happening. Glad to see that at least the DTS aspect finally appears to have happened.

To be honest though, the original release was pretty darn sharp too. X-Men never felt like a release that desperately needed much better treatment.

#39 of 79 JasonKZ

JasonKZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted November 16 2002 - 01:22 AM

Sorry. Gotta disagree - this is a shameless, worthless release to plug the sequel. So dissapointing when you think of what they could have done with this....

#40 of 79 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted November 16 2002 - 10:02 AM

I'm waiting for 1.6

Ric

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow