What's new

Official DVD ETC. review request thread -- request equipment reviews here! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DVD ETC. has requested we start this thread
so that you may offer suggetions as to equipment
you would like to see reviewed in upcoming issues.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have one for you:

Why not do a combination feature story and review that focuses on a pertinent issue: Is it wise to buy a non-ATSC television, direct-view or rear-projection, at all in this era of technological transition? Then, as a sidebar to the story, or as a companion piece, do a roundup-style review of some of the better-respected "analog"-only sets on the market (Toshiba's oft-praised direct-view models, the non-ATSC "flatscreen" TVs by Sony and JVC, etc.).

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'd really love to see a review of one of the new Rocket home theater packages. ;)

David CI

Auditioning
HTPC audio and video cards. For audio cards, ones that connect to a receiver would be best (not internal receivers on the PC which output to speakers for games etc)

HTPC DVD players and software.

Power conditioners under 500 Cnd.

Uninterrupted power supplies (UPS), again under 500 Cdn.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If Denon would let you review a 3800 dvd player that would be great. I doubt if you would do it though because of the lockup/freeze issue. Although Denon is working on the problem, I'm not holding my breath.I have yet to see a review of this player so any experts advice would be welcome.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
B&K Ref 50
New Onkyo, Integra, & Yamaha universal DVD players (chroma bug, bass management, CD/SACD/DVD-A audio quality, etc)
Velodyne HGS series II subs (HGS-12, HGS-15)
Monster 7000 power conditioner

Cheers!

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
How about reviewing the Harman Kardon AVR 8000. That would be nice. Have some photos of the insides, it's just so damn sexy!

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:f Sorry for not responding sooner:f
We're in the middle of shipping and I'm just coming up for air. Excellent suggestions here. Denon will not loan us a 3800 and knowing the lock up freeze issue exists, I can't see anyone getting too excited about it in a review. Though, we do have our feelers out for a superior replacement. I'm hoping it will arrive in time to squeeze it into March...if not April. Monster 7000 power conditioner will run in March--don't miss this one. We're at one of those weird times when companies are going thru model changes so they don't want to send us anything because it won't appear until March or early Spring. We are working on a subwoofer special. I am personally reviewing over 30 subwoofers and it will have a subwoofer buyers guide--cool for you, bad for your neighbors. :) I've got some other products in the pipeline but I can't let everything out of the bag...just wanted you to know we're listening. -Thank you!

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
How about a review of the new NAD Electronics receivers. The T752, T762 and the T772.

I'm mostly interested in the T762 as that will most likely be my next receiver.

Thank you.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Clint,

Denon has just announced a fix for their 3800 dvd player, regarding the lockups /skipping. This month, and more in Jan. people can send their players in for a fix. They say the fault lies with the laser pickup assy.
Maybe after all is said and done then you could review it?

For more info on this see the special thread on avforum.com.

Hugh

Auditioning
How about some face-offs?

1) Pre-amps -
B&K Ref 50 vs. Anthem AVN20 (plus any others in same range).

2) Amps -
Multichannel amplifier face-off ... B&K, Anthem, Nad, Parasound, Rotel, Sherbourn, Outlaw, etc.

3) Receivers -
B&K AVR 507 vs. Denon 5903 vs. Pioneer 49TXi vs. Sunfire Ultimate (plus any others in same range).

DanaA

Screenwriter
Although it might not be feasible, I'd love to see face-off's like those suggested by Hugh. And, he definitely has some good products that would be exciting to see come head to head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks