Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

All in the Family & Sanford and Son, where is season two?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 of 35 OFFLINE   Allan Mack

Allan Mack

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 11:26 AM

I live in Canada, and it cost me $59.99 (Canadian) to get Season 1 of All in the Family. I hope it won't be as expensive for the rest of the series...

#22 of 35 OFFLINE   KevA

KevA

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 12:12 PM

Note to Allan:

All in the Family Season 1 had no distributor in Canada (very RARE for most major DVD titles). It was quite cheap all over the U.S., but very expensive in Canada.

Will this happen with Season 2 as well? That is the question. If it does happen again, our only option is to order online from amazon.com or another U.S. internet retailer.

(On the bright side, for some odd reason, Band of Brothers is much cheaper in Canada -- online or otherwise -- than it is in the U.S. The same is true for Friends, Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons.)

Kev A.

#23 of 35 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 01:40 PM

Kev A, I've thought about that situation already.

Columbia maintains two separate sets of listings: a USA version and a Canada version. The USA version is where all the info for all of the new TV-on-DVD releases came from. It is updated for new releases through the week of 2/4/03.

Unfortunately, the Canadian side hasn't any information past 1/21/03. Apparently it's not updated as quickly. So I can't tell yet if AitF S2 is gonna be supported better in Canada than S1 was.

My guess? It will be the same situation. I suspect whatever rights issues held the first season back from being sold across the border is probably going to effect every single season, I'm sorry to say. I'll go further out on a limb, and suggest that this is the reason that the Columbia information list for Canada isn't updated yet: it's not the usual straight cut-and-paste job! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#24 of 35 OFFLINE   SteveCarroll

SteveCarroll

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 06:30 PM

Am i the only one concerned that Jeffersons Season 2 isn't announced? season 1 was released the same day as S&S:S1 wasn't it?

#25 of 35 OFFLINE   Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 07:47 PM

Could someone please give the ACTUAL full URL for the site with the TV series on DVD info? I've tried various combos with no results.

++++++

It's a big mystery why the studios are not putting out more old series? Maybe because they think they'll cannibalize the 'Nick At Nite' type re-runs? (Has anyone noticed - the ad breaks on these re-runs sometimes run to 10 minutes!?)

PS A big seller would SURELY be DVD sets of the Columbos!

#26 of 35 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 12 2002 - 08:55 PM

Quote:
Am i the only one concerned that Jeffersons Season 2 isn't announced? season 1 was released the same day as S&S:S1 wasn't it?

These releases prove C/TS is going ahead with subsequent seasons. I'm not concerned. I'm a little surprised the Jeffersons aren't going to hit the same time as Sanford, but I am confident they will follow shortly.

#27 of 35 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 12 2002 - 10:52 PM

Quote:
Could someone please give the ACTUAL full URL for the site with the TV series on DVD info? I've tried various combos with no results.
Just click on the little tv-looking icon in my signature! It's http://www.tvshowsondvd.com just for the record.

As for Jeffersons, I'm not concerned, either. Just like I've been unconcerned all along as to whether AitF S2 was coming. It's announced, just like I said it would be all along! Posted Image

Jeffersons S2 will be announced, too...never fear!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#28 of 35 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 03:40 AM

I just got a private e-mail from an HTF member who was asking about Jeffersons S2. Apparently there is concern over whether it will be abandoned, since Sanford & Son got announced but not Jeffersons (S&S and Jeff got S1 released at the same time).

I answered those concerns, and decided that there is so much worry over this, that I would post my answer here for everyone else upset over this. Here's my answer:

I'm *certain* that Columbia intends to bring Jeff S2 out. I can imagine that planning for the just-announced crop of releases went something like this:
  • Columbia Exec #1: "Time to announce the first round of Season 2's. All In The Family and Larry Sanders, right?"

Columbia Exec #2: "Hmmm...What were Larry's numbers like?"

Columbia Exec #1: "Sales-wise? Okay, but not nearly as great as Sanford and Son!"

Columbia Exec #2: "Sanford outsold Jeffersons, too?"

Columbia Exec #1: "Yeah, Sanford had more 'Urban appeal' than The Jeffersons did, not being so upscale."

Columbia Exec #2: "Y'know, we need some strong numbers for the 1st Quarter. Why don't we switch Larry and Sanford in the release blocks."

Columbia Exec #1: "Okay."
Just an imaginary conversation that I dreamed up, but perhaps a reflection of the way these things could be decided.

In my original reply to the person, I also suggested that there might be concern at the studio over "evening up the count of white series and black series" in their release blocks. I kind of regret that I suggested Columbia would be motivated by that sort of thing. Perhaps they would, but I hope not. I know many people in Hollywood are concerned over similar issues, though. Too bad that people's philosophies and cultural outlooks make this a reality of the entertainment business. Posted Image

In any case, I feel sure that we'll see S2's of everything from Columbia. Be patient and give them time!!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#29 of 35 OFFLINE   JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted November 14 2002 - 11:29 AM

Hopefully, soon, we can have a thread entitled "All in the Family & Mad About You & Sanford and Son, where is season 3?"...
-John D. Moore

#30 of 35 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:24 AM

Quote:
Hopefully, soon, we can have a thread entitled "All in the Family & Mad About You & Sanford and Son, where is season 3?"...

I never saw such a thread, so I decided to bump this one.

Sanford and Son: The Complete 3rd season is "coming soon" as a 3-disc set. There...now you know everything that I do! Posted Image

DAVE/Memphis, TN

#31 of 35 OFFLINE   Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:27 AM

Wonder how long it will be before we hear about Good Times Season 2...

#32 of 35 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:26 AM

And the broken record plays again: when they fix season 2 of S&S, I'll consider buying it and 3. As it stands now, I'm thinking of taking season 1 to eBay, as I have no intention of continuing with the series. At least it's on TV Land.

#33 of 35 OFFLINE   Ian_H

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:40 PM

Quote:
And the broken record plays again: when they fix season 2 of S&S

Whats wrong with season 2?

--Ian

#34 of 35 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:18 PM

One of the episode is missing a scene. The scene is present in the TV Land showings, but not on the discs. Probably not a big deal for most people, but an oversight I won't accept.

http://www.hometheat....hlight=sanford

#35 of 35 OFFLINE   Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 12:01 PM

Now the question is, "Where is season three?" (of S&S & AITF) I'd also like to know if Columbia is going to release season sets of Married...with Children or if we can expect more best-of discs.
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow