What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/12 (May The Force Be With You!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing!
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb_Borders
Bad Company_______________$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$19.49__$19.42__$25.99
B&tB: The Ench. Xmas - SE_$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$17.49__$18.98__$_N/A_
Highlander: The Series S1_$67.49__$59.99__$59.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$89.99
Importance/Being Earnest__$22.49__$19.99__$22.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Kirby Comes to Cappytown!_$14.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.95
LotR:FotR -Extended Vers._$25.99__$24.99__$29.99__$25.49__$_N/A___$35.99
LotR:FotR -5 Disc Giftset_$59.94__$49.99__$59.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$71.99
MST3K 4-Disc Collection___$44.96__$49.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
South Park: Comp. 1st Sn._$29.99__$29.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$39.99
Star Wars Ep. 2: AotC -WS_$17.99__$15.99__$14.99__$18.99__$18.99__$25.99
Winnie: A Merry Pooh Year_$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$19.99__$18.98__$19.99
[/c]
* Guess who the loss leader winner is this week? Toys R Us! Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones for $9.99, DVD (or VHS), Widescreen (or fullscreen). Disclaimers: "While supplies last. One per customer. No rainchecks" Nevertheless, this is a sweetheart of a deal for a 2-disc blockbuster set! This ad is supposed to be in everyone's Sunday newspaper:
[c] [/c]
Unexpected this is, but I suspect TRU is trying to get the traffic into their stores to remind you that the Holiday Season is on-the-way. I'm worried about that "while supplies last" thing...just how many will they get? This isn't going to be an issue for me. I plan to wake up early Tuesday, and swing over to the 24-Hour Wal-Mart nearby and have them price-match. I'll avoid the crowds and the possibility of running out. If you do that sort of thing too, don't forget to support Wal-Mart AND Toys R Us with some non-loss-leader purchases later on. And tell your friends to head to TRU, so they know the loss-leader was successful.
* BE CAREFUL! Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.
* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Example: Star Wars Saga DVD Pack: Episode 1 & Episode 2.
* Target will take care of your remake needs: The Importance of Being Earnest and for Bad Company are $15.99 each!! :eek: They also score the 4-Disc LotR:FotR-EE for $24.99 (same best price as Best Buy), but are heftier on the 5-Disc LotR:FotR-EE GiftSet (which their ad specifies will be found in the book department) at a whopping $69.99! They show "Low Price" on Star Wars Episode 2 (expect $15.99), and "Low Price" on the Christmas discs for Winnie the Pooh and Beauty and the Beast (which also look like $15.99 each, but I'm not sure of that; if true it will be the best price on these two items!).
* On the downside of Target, I have been getting communications from people who say they work at this chain. They report that a company-wide memo went out that Target will no long pricematch anything against anybody. I have been unable to verify this personally, but please let me know your experiences.
* K-Mart scores a really decent $14.97 on Star Wars Episode 2, but the ad suspiciously avoids mentioning the widescreen version...only Fullscreen is shown. They also show $29.99 on the 4-Disc version of LotR:FotR-EE.
* Wal-Mart, as usual, are being ambiguous in their last ad about their prices on hot items. They will probably use a price on a store-by-store basis that reflects the local competition, but expect things in the $15-ish range for Star Wars Episode 2. Their ad DOES specify that you'll find both Widescreen and fullscreen copies of this title in their store. Also note that WALMART.COM states that pre-ordering it through the website gets you a special bonus...some widescreen-format trading cards! And you get those no matter WHICH version of the film you pre-order! :D Now isn't THAT a twist for a company that's usually vilified as the propagator of fullscreen versions! Hahaha.
* Best Buy will give you a Calendar ($10.99 value) to accompany the purchase of Star Wars Episode 2. Naturally, the theme of the calendar is...Star Wars!
* Circuit City will take $4 off the total if you buy both Winnie The Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year and Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas - Special Edition at the same time.
* All copies of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings - Extended Edition (both the 4-disc version and the 5-disc GiftSet version with the bookends) will have what New Line calls "Movie Cash". This is essentially a voucher good to redeem at your local participating theater for a ticket - value up to $10.50 - on or after 12/18 for the new film, The Two Towers. This should be in every copy, at every store.
* Note that South Park: Complete First Season has had its commentary tracks pulled as a supplement from the actual DVDs. Apparently SP creators Trey & Parker got into a disagreement with Warner about the content of the commentaries...with Trey & Parker invoking the 1st Amendment in their explanation of events. Instead, the commentaries will be available on CD's (5 of 'em) that you can get direct from Comedy Central, for just the cost of shipping & handling (you'll have to tear out & mail in a proof of purchase tab from the DVD set to qualify). Read all the details here at TVShowsOnDVD.com (includes a link to the commentary fulfillment deal). Note, though, that Best Buy's circular still mentions the commentary track supplements. Probably that is a mistake. If it's not, then note that they'll have to provide the CDs in a separate container...they will NOT be inside the DVD case! But I'm sure it's just a mistake on BB's part.
* But Best Buy will sell you South Park: Winter Wonderland for just $4.99 if purchased at the same time as South Park: Complete First Season.
* CompUSA indicates that they will have "The Low Price...Period" on both Star Wars Episode 2 and on the 4-Disc version of LotR:FotR-EE. This resembles their ad for Spider-Man, but this time they refer you to the details ("small print") about what this "Low Price Guarantee" is. Here's what they say: "We'll match any local retail competitor's price on every product we sell, either at the time of purchase or within the following 14 days. Our low price commitment covers all new, factory sealed products of the same brand and model number that are available, and in stock, at any local retail store. Our commitment does not apply to Internet offers or any one-of-a-kind or other limited-quantity offers, discontinued or close out items, refurbished products, special financing, installation, rebates, or when a bonus or free offer is included in the purchase. All products subject to price changes and availability. We reserve the right to limit quantities." Uh-huh.
* BORDERS: New coupon! This is a weird one: "Friends and Family Days: Print this page and bring it to your local Borders, Waldenbooks/Brentano's, or Borders Outlet store to save 20% on almost everything in the store from November 15 through November 18." It has some restrictions: "DVD discount at Waldenbooks/Brentanos is 10%. Discount on electronics and video games is 10%. Offer excludes DVD players, previous purchases, purchase of gift certificates, shipping charges, non-stock special orders, used or out-of-print titles, newspapers, periodicals, comics, and membership fees." Notice that the DVD discount restriction applies to Waldenbooks/Brentanos, but not to Borders! :eek: Yet keep in mind that Borders registers are pre-programmed to restrict DVD discounts to 15%, so don't expect more than that...unless you're willing to debate it with the Manager. Note that I'm informed that there is nothing in the register system keeping you from using it early, IF the cashier overlooks it.
* "Ikea_Boy" indicates that there's a possible screwup in MediaPlay's latest ad. He says it shows South Park: Complete First Season for a mere $19.99! :eek: If this is true, snag it. I don't have a MediaPlay within a hundred miles of me, but I might check out sister chains Suncoast and Sam Goody. Another one is OnCue, so keep an eye out for this, and let me know what you all find out!
* People who get Entertainment Weekly magazine will find coupons in there: a Best Buy coupon good for $2 off any MGM titles, and a Suncoast coupon good for $10 off any HBO season set. Thanks to "Moogle" for the skinny!
* Finally, on the hardware front, Best Buy has that cute little Mintek portable DVD player with the 7" TFT LCD screen on sale for $349.99 again. This time it's a straight-up sale, no need to mail in for a rebate. Hmmm, I still have a leftover Preferred Customer Weekend discount coupon good for 10% off an item like that. Ohhhh, honey....!!! ;)
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
Nothing. But there's a lotta markdowns coming between now and New Year's Eve, so get ready!!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Armed and Dangerous also due on the 12th(very hilarious 80's comedy, with John Candy and Eugene Levy) is at Best Buy for $14.99
Best Buy also has on-line sales
All Atisan DVD's 20% off
All HBO TV DVD's on sale

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
If you only have a TRU where you live with no competitors to pricematch with you can go to the presale board and snag a presale STII sku ticket and pay a $5 deposit.
This will guarantee you a copy on the 12th as the presales are set aside, I did this on Friday to avoid having to get there early and or having to deal with pricematching drama any where else.
bodym:cool:v'n

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John; I'd forgotten about Armed & Dangerous. Also, 1987 Sharon Stone/Adam Ant film Cold Steel, if you're interested. Both have OAR versions on them.

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
For anyone who wants South Park Season 1, my best friend says that Media Play has it on sale for 19.99 (and he works there). Just thought I would pass that on.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the round-up Dave. This is the first time in a long time that I've been interested in a title that you left out (Complete Monterey Pop Collection). :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dave - Once again thanks a million for your hard work. Looks like a great week!
A minor nitpick - South Park was created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, not Trey & Parker. "Damn your black heart Barbara Streisand!" :)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
The TRU pick up for Star Wars won't be a problem for me as there is a Toys R Us 2 blocks away from where I'll be in White Plains, NY on Tuesday. If they don't have a WS copy or have run out, I'll just grab a curcular & boogie down to CC & price match.
Pre-ordered LOTR:FOTR gift set online as I don't want to play store tag seeing who has the gift set or doesn't. Should have it by Wed.
I'll pass on South Park Season 1 and put it on my X-mas wishlist.
Thanks Dave for the new Borders coupon :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Joe

Christopher D

Second Unit
For some reason my paper did *not* have a TRU circular in it. (Washington, DC). Did I just get missed by the collating machine? Anybody else in town get one?

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
A company-wide memo went out that Target will no long pricematch anything against anybody. I have been unable to verify this personally, but please let me know your experiences.
Correct. I asked for a pricematch last week and the woman behind the counter--a manager--politely informed me that it was the last week you can price match at Target. Considering their brutal return policies, I'm not surprised by this one.

Wise shoppers will think hard before buying anything at Target that:

1) Might need to be returned someday, and,
2) Might be found cheaper elsewhere.

Between these restrictive policies and Target's generally high prices on everything (at least compared to Wal-Mart and even--gasp--KMart lately) it's not too hard to avoid going there anymore.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
swing over to the 24-Hour Wal-Mart nearby and have them price-match
This is precisely what I plan to do. The only problem is that I also want to pick up the CE of LOTR. Does anyone knwo if WM is going to carry it?

Chris S.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I didn’t get one either, but there is a Black & White AD in the “A” section that has a large picture of the front of the “Toy Book” clearly showing the 9.99 price.
This should be good for a price match at Best Buy.
Check the rest of your paper and it may be there.
Shawn S

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Woah. Any info on the MST3K 4 disc deal? I guess I'll have to goto BB :)
And of course. I will be waiting for TRU to open on Tuesday (boy I am glad I work stupid hours and have Tuesdays off)
P.S. Would it be too much to ask to give us a list of ALL DVD's on sale at say BB & CC?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
What's with Target and Best Buy for AOTC DVD. BB ad says 'hot price', Target ad says 'low price'.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'll just stop off at Best Buy on Tuesday. I hear their AOTC comes with a free clalender. I've never really been big on pricematching so I'll likely get it for $15.99. I'll also pick up FOTR EE while I'm there.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well it off to get Attack of the Clones and Lord of the Rings this week. Don't know much about next week, but after getting these two movies, who cares about it anyways. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
for brian before dave gets to him ;)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
On a related note,
Does anyone know if there was a resolution to the $5/$10 off coupon requiring a proof of purchase, the only one of which existing appears to be on the back cover of the 2-disc DVD?
Illustrated in this thread.
Also, great work Dave. I'm really wishy washy on the 4 and 5 disc now... I was kind of hoping there wouldn't have been as wide a price gulf between the two sets.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the Toys R Us ad in my Sunday paper. I couldn't believe it! Luckily, my wife is off work Tuesday, so she will be able to stop by and pick up Episode II.
I am also worried about the "while supplies last" statement, but I would think that if she is there when the doors open, it shouldn't be a problem.
As far as price matching, my Circuit City and Best Buy stores will actually go to the trouble of calling Toys R Us to see if they have Episode II in stock before agreeing to match the price! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks