-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Panzer Dragoon Orta

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
308 replies to this topic

#1 of 309 Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 08:27 AM

Holy crap! I couldn't believe this game after playing the demo on the OXM disc. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is so fun. Geez, I don't remember the Saturn version being this much fun...too bad I have to wait until January for it.
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#2 of 309 Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee

Second Unit

• 317 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 08:59 AM

I've never played any of the panzer dragoons before but I was also amazed with this game. I found it very fun and very reminiscent of the early 90's side scroller shooters in the arcades. I can't think of the names but I know one of the had differn't planes and jets including the f14, a10 and a f18 I think. And they had different strengths.
Playing NFL2k3, Capcom VS SNK 2, Unreal Championship, Mechassault and motogp online.

#3 of 309 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,119 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 09:37 AM

I was reading about how PDO is going to have some "big secret" in it. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you can access a previous PD game after beating the main game, just like in House of the Dead 3.

#4 of 309 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 09:59 AM

I'm pretty sure it's already been revealed that the original game is in it.

#5 of 309 Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's already been revealed that the original game is in it.

I believe it's the Saturn version...
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#6 of 309 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 12:07 PM

Which is what Graeme said, the original game - Panzer Dragoon.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#7 of 309 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 12:28 PM

In fact, I know for sure that OXM had a sidebar about it in their PDO review.

#8 of 309 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
In fact, I know for sure that OXM had a sidebar about it in their PDO review.

...and they reiterated it again in this months rumor section I believe.

I should be interesting to see the reaction to the original game from the many that have not played the Saturn or PC versions. This just makes the PDO pie that much sweeterPosted Image.

#9 of 309 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,119 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 12:55 PM

I wonder if they'll spruce the original up...

Maybe they'll have an original version of it and a remix version with better graphics?

(I'm out of the loop on X-Box stuff since I don't have one. I'm hoping to maybe get one this Christmas, but I'm still waiting for hell to freeze over)

#10 of 309 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 02:22 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they'll spruce the original up...

The screenshots shown so far make it look like a straightforward port, without the "buggy" texture mapping early PSX/Saturn games tended to feature.

http://www.evilavata....1635/15097.jpg
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#11 of 309 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 02:36 PM

Wow, very nice Brian. Looks quite a bit like the smoother PC version which ran at 640X480. I am liking Sega's recent trend of including original titles in with thier new releases. Hope they keep it up!

#12 of 309 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, those screenshots look very clean indeed. I really wanted them to include Zwei, as I prefer it over the first game... Guess they need to keep something for a bonus with PDO2 Posted Image

#13 of 309 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 04:22 PM

Saga, please, Saga! It would only take up about 25% of a DVD-9, and most XBox titles leave more empty space than that.

#14 of 309 Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 04:25 PM

We can hope for a PDO2. Even more we can hope for a PDS2.

#15 of 309 Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 05:04 PM

Yeah I loved the demo as well...I've played it through about 7 times already. Great stuff. Going to pick it up for sure. And I was drooling over the Splinter Cell demo!

#16 of 309 felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 05:27 PM

i played the demo.

i think it wont sell. dont get me wrong, honestly, believe it or not, i love panzer dragoon. i even used the music ( by yoshitaka azuma ) from the opening title of the first game, for my wedding ceremony.

reasons?

the gameplay is old, i didnt notice any improvement on the control scheme. i believe there are people who simply hate on rail shooters, because they think on rail shooters are out of date. well, i cant blame them, because it is outdated in a sense.

i believe it is going to be really short. and i know, that there are people who despise short games, and i cant blame them because it makes all the sense in the world.

i will pick the game up immediately if the majority of the reviews were higher than at least 87 percent on gamerankings, otherwise i would wait until the price is lowered. i have to play a panzer dragoon sequel no matter what. panzer dragoon was one of my first 32 bit game!

#17 of 309 Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter

• 1,221 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 06:23 PM

87? Why 87??

Posted Image

Will it sell? Probably not, neither did JSRF... awesome game that it is.
"I don't remember much..... Uhhhh...."

#18 of 309 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 10:03 PM

Quote:
the gameplay is old, i didnt notice any improvement on the control scheme.

The new speed up and slowdown buttons eluded you? The abilility to morph at will? (something taken and simplified from Panzer Dragoon Saga). Both gameplay advances not present in either of the first two Panzer games (rail shooters). Or maybe the lack of a new Panzer Dragoon game for alomost 5 years? I'm not exactly sure I'd consider the gameplay old. As the years have gone by gamers attentions have simply shifted from these type of gaming experiences (shooters in general). Though make no mistake they still have there audience that appreciates them.(Ikaruga, Rez and Contra come to mind recently).

Again I don't think old is proper term here Felix. Forgotten maybe, but not old. People always proclaim how they want something new to play, something different. Well, here it is. Especially for the many folks out there that never got the chance (nor gave the Saturn a chance) to play Panzer Dragoon.

Quote:
i believe it is going to be really short. and I know, that there are people who despise short games

If you have any experience with the Panzer Dragoon games(which apparently you do) then you should know what to expect out of the games length. Orta includes 10 levels for you to play through (more than any previous PD shooter). In fact almost double the amount of levels from Panzer Zwie. Will the games length be shorter than many out there? You betcha. Many people will be turned off by this, I agree.

With that in mind, if I could get on my soapbox for a minute.Posted Image. Its these same type of people that buy a game like Rez or Contra, pound through the 5 or so levels, "beat" the game and then proclaim that it was just ridiculously short and not worth the money. I liken it to the "I saw the ending so thats the end! Time to return the game" attitude that so many gamers have nowadays. Are there games on the market that justify this type of attitude? Sure. The Two Towers for the PS2 comes to mind recently. Its a medium length game (completing all three characters is about 9-10 hours) with very little replay value after completion.(though what is there is very fun!). I would however submit that the Contras, Rez's, Ikaruga's, Sky Odysee's and PD's of the world are very different experiences. I think game length is relative to the type of game you are playing.

Remember the days of beating a game on that REALLY hard difficulty!? The satisfaction you got from that? There are many folks on the forum that bought Contra Shattered Soldier and absolutely love the game for its challenging and "old" gameplay. They even play through on multiple difficulties to challenge themselves, see if they can conquer it. I know, I know.... many people would call that type of thinking "old". I say its simply forgotten and I think allot of gamers are starting to remember.(thankfully!) /steps off his soapbox now

Theres room for many gaming experiences out there. I gotta be optimistic and believe that many gamers at least try to keep an open mind. I know that may be considered naive to some but hell I feel like being hopeful todayPosted Image

Quote:
i have to play a panzer dragoon sequel no matter what. panzer dragoon was one of my first 32 bit game!

Then why not support the series off the bat then? You know I find it interesting that the crux of your post is how you believe that Panzer Dragoon Orta will not sell well even though you love the series. Then do your part to change your prediction. I don't need to hear nor do I care about reasons why said game won't sell. I've seen plenty of FUCKING AWESOME games go straight down the tubes sales wise. How about helping to change that?

You know what to expect from the series and you admit to being a big fan of it. What the hell does an 87 matter? Am I being a bit harsh? Your damn right. I've been waiting for this game for too long and I will do everything in my power to ensure that the series continues. I want a new Panzer Dragoon Saga. I want the series to continue, just as I want Shenmue to continue so your damn right I'm passionate about it.

#19 of 309 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 10:46 PM

Wonderful post, Romier! My sentiments exactly.

I would like to add that just because you beat a good game, doesn't mean that you are technically "done" with it. Whatever happened to playing through a game a second, third, or even a fourth time? I've probably played through the original Contra at least 50 times, and it only takes 30 to 45 minutes to do if you're any good. Yet, I don't mind because I love playing that game, and it's still offers a wonderful 45 minutes of entertainment. More recently, I found myself playing through much of Dead to Rights a second time, even though I had already beaten it. Why, you ask? Because it was such a blast the first time that I couldn't get enough of it with one run through.

Too many gamers nowadays think that unless the game lasts for 40 hours, they're getting ripped off. Whatever happened to making a quality game, even if it was short? I'd much rather play a brilliant game that lasted 5 hours than suffer through a dull 40-hour ordeal. I say that because I know I am much more likely to go back and play that 5-hour game than I am to re-play the 40-hour one.

Furthermore, I'd like to say that I really enjoyed the demo of Panzer Dragoon Orta. I'm definitely considering picking it up when it comes out. I may wait until after Christmas, when I will most likely have some gift certificates and extra money to blow on games, but it looks like a purchase-worthy title to me.

-J.Fo

#20 of 309 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 11:00 PM

Quote:
I may wait until after Christmas, when I will most likely have some gift certificates and extra money to blow on games, but it looks like a purchase-worthy title to me.

You'll have to wait till then anywho Jeffrey. The game doesn't release until January 2003Posted Image. So get those certificates ready.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow