What's new

More Classic Warners Releases... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is great news about the following:
  • A Patch of Blue
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • Alice Adams
  • Mildred Pierce
  • The Cardinal
  • Dreams
  • Day For Night
  • A Man and a Woman
I just hope they keep them coming and don't forget about Cagney and a few other underrepresented actors on dvd.
Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/11_07.html
Last but not least, Warner will finally dig into the vaults and release some quality foreign film titles. On March 18th comes three true classics, Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, Francois Truffaut's Day for Night, and Claude Lelouch's A Man and a Woman. Each is presented in new anamorphic widescreen transfers in their original theatrical aspect ratios (audio formats have not yet been announced), plus plenty of extras on the latter two: Day for Night includes the featurettes "Day for Night: An Appreciation by Bob Balaban and Annette Insdorf," "Day for Night by Jacqueline Bisset and Nathalie Baye," and "Truffaut: A View from the Inside," plus interviews with Valentina Cortese and Truffaut from the 1973 Cannes Film Festival and the 1973 National Society of Film Critics Awards; while A Man and A Woman features the all-new documentary "A Man and a Woman: 37 Years Later" and the original making-of featurette. All include trailers. Retail is $19.95 each.
very cool indeed
last but not least
Also in February comes the next in Warner's new line of two-disc special editions, Otto Preminger's classic The Cardinal on the 25th. This one features both 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers and an English 2.0 Dolby surround track on the first disc, and on disc two, the feature-length career retrospective documentary "Otto Preminger: Anatomy of a Filmmaker," the original vintage 1963 featurette, and trailers. Retail is $26.95.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News!! I hope this is a sign that Warner is stepping up even further their catalog releases on DVD.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Mildred Pierce
:emoji_thumbsup: Been waiting for this one! Great news.
Never seen Day for Night. Looks like this may be an opportune moment to discover it! ;)
Also, I wonder what state The Red Badge of Courage will be in. My VHS copy is of the butchered 67 minute version. Do sufficient resources exist to present a version comparable to Huston's original intented cut? (rumoured to be over 3 hours)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
More great titles coming, indeed!

WB isn't the fastest for DVD classics, but at least they do it right. The availible specs for these DVDs and their past ones prove that they put QUALITY over QUANITY.

After all, a non-anamorphic 1-disc DVD of a film such as Exodus is nothing more than a smaller laserdisc.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm stoked about "A Little Romance" which is the top 5 of romance movies with me. And "The Cardinal" is a keeper with me!

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news! A Patch of Blue is probably my most wanted title not yet on DVD. I've seen this film a few times letterboxed on Turner CLassic Movies. Great story, acting, and one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores. If you haven't seen it I suggest you rent it in February.

I'll pick up the Cardinal as well. I've never seen it, but it has John Huston in it and was directed by Otto Preminger so I doubt I have anything to lose. Besides I love two disc editions of older films since the supplements usually are more interesing than the featurettes & EPKs on releases of current films.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
With the sadness of Jam Master Jay's recent passing, it's good to know that "Krush Groove" will be coming to DVD soon. I can finally ditch my VHS of the movie.

"Mildred Pierce" could be another possibility...I've seen clips from it in Joan Crawford profiles on TCM, and she's a powerhouse in that movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

All you can watch!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
YES YES YES !!!!
Dogfight is coming to dvd on January 7th !! :)
I can't think of a single dvd announcement in the last 2 years that has made me as happy as this one. :)
I Love Love Love this movie ! and can't wait to add this disc to my collection. I'm sitting behind my computer with a big stupid grin on my face, feeling giddy with joy :b

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: for Mildred Pierce and The Red Badge of Courage.
Paul: The most liberal estimates of the running time of Huston's submitted cut for The Red Badge of Courage place it around two hours. Sadly, the chances of excised footage being found for this title are about as likely as that for The Magnificent Ambersons. Restoration of the Tattered Man's death scene and the rest of Bronislau Kaper's rousing score, as well as removal of Gottfried Reinhardt's pandering narration, has ranked among my most fruitlessly hoped-for "Holy Grail" finds ever since I first saw the film years ago. :frowning: Even so, what remains is a fascinating, albeit frustrating, signature Huston work; and well worth my $ for a pristine DVD copy.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Does anybody know how come Columbia's "The Cardinal" has ended up at Warners?

Let's hope that we get Jerome Moross' beautiful Score isolated in some way and also that the Overture, intermission and exit music is included.

The letterboxed Laserdisc has a poor quality picture and a very ordinary somewhat narrow and muffled 2 channel Stereo soundtrack.

The Movie is poorly cast in some instances and is overly long, but that Magnificent Music Score.
Any body want to buy a poor quality laserdisc? DVD here we come.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
:emoji_thumbsup: on The Red Badge of Courage. :)
No extras for Akira Kurosawa's Dreams? That's a bummer. I remember seeing some production paintings Kurosawa did for the film in of all places, Premiere magazine. These would make a nice supplement along with a scholarly commentary. Ah well, it'll be nice to at least have the movie!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doug,
When I first read the article, I too wondered about that fact and it could be that the rights of "The Cardinal" are now owned by one of the production companies of the film called Gamma Productions which negotiated a deal with Warner. I don't know if Gamma is controlled by Preminger's family or is outright owned by Warner? Another possibility is that Warner and Columbia traded rights on a couple of films. Good question which in time we might find the answer to.

Crawdaddy

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The rights to the Cardinal reverted from Columbia to Preminger's production company. Warner has had the rights to several Preminger-owned productions for many years.
Columbia retained certain of his pictures such as ANATOMY OF A MURDER, but that studio lost their distribution rights on THE CARDINAL long ago.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My laser discs of Otto Preminger's Man With The Golden Arm originally an United Artists release and Advise And Consent originally a Columbia release were both issued on the Warners label. In addition to The Cardinal, I believe Warners also holds the rights to the Preminger films, Saint Joan, The Moon Is Blue and Bonjour Tristesse.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, the chances of excised footage being found for this title are about as likely as that for The Magnificent Ambersons.
Thanks Agee. :frowning: Oh well.
Speaking of Preminger, anyone know the status on Laura? I know it's a Fox title, so I'd expect a stellar DVD soon!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Laura will be released in 2003, by Fox as part of their classic film release series.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that link Oscar. I'm also excited about the 2 disc SE of The Right Stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks