What's new

Bose wins again!!! (1 Viewer)

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I was at lunch today and bose came up in the conversation. The marketing people for bose can just out market any other speaker company bar none. One guy was raving how great bose speakers were and he would buy them in a heart beat over other speakers only if he had the money. He even called their little base cube a subwoofer. One lady said she and her husband went to the bose store and listnened to the demonstration and she said the sound was great but it was even better when they found out the speakers were really that small and the receiver was also just as small. I then asked if she liked the speakers because of the size and she said no the sound. I told them I bought speakers for a margain of the cost of bose and they sound twice as better and they replied nothing sounds better than bose. It is amazing how bose has brainwashed people into believing they are the best. I wish I had a lot of stock in bose because I would be laughing all the way to the bank with comments like them. I am so glad I found this site around a year ago so I wouldn't make the same mistake as them.

Daniel T

John Royster

Screenwriter
Yes, Bose has won the mind of the consumer. That is a very nice place to be. I tend to keep my mouth shut about bose unless directly asked about it...otherwise I get bombarded by a gang telling me I'm full of it and that bose is the best...that there is nother better.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm kind of tired of Bose discussions, but I have to comment on this.

One guy was raving how great bose speakers were and he would buy them in a heart beat over other speakers only if he had the money.
I feel this is one of the most amazing things Bose has done. They price their gear at a rather high price for what you get, and yet people are willing to pay it for "perceived" quality and brand name recognition. This guy seems to prove the point - he aspires to buy Bose because he feels great sound is just beyond his reach. "If it costs that much, they must be good"... I think many people just buy them just so they can say I own Bose spekaers, kind of like owning a $100K SUV with leather and 23" rims, that you will never take off road.

You can't convince everyone that Bose is not the greatest, just like you can't convince a crack head that they have a problem.

John Royster

Screenwriter
PS - pricing goods higher than your competetion is actually one way to increase sales depending on your product and consumers.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have this friend at work that would go on and on about how great his friend's Bose HT system was. I kept telling him that if you put Bose up against a real system it would lose easily. He just kept saying no way "Bose rules" and stuff of that nature. Finally i had to issue him a challenge to come over my house and listen to my setup and THEN tell me how great the Bose was. At the time i was running:
Onkyo 797
Carver A705X 5 ch. THX amp
Klipsch reference series speakers
Dual SVS 25-31's

Well do you want to know the last thing he said after a lengthy demo? His exact words were: "Bose can't touch that". My system was a decent mid-level setup(IMO) and it didn't cost much more than his friends $3k+ Bose system. After that he has never mentioned Bose again at work...to anyone. At least that was one misguided person that saw the light from the marketing darkness that is Bose........

Dalton

Ryan Solberg

Auditioning
hehehehe.... not everybody are ignorant bose lovers... I'm new to the HT world, and i just recently learned how bad bose speakers really are, BUT i never really was a fan of BOSE, sure i always thought they were nice(remember this was in comparison to tv speakers) but just not worth the price. Now that i know a lil bit about speakers, i can look at the graphs, and specs(which bose doesn't give you) and figure out how bad they really are.

One of my friends is planning on buying a pair of Bose 601 Towers, bookshelf surrounds & center channel... We might get an apartment together this summer. Anyway, When i have my Adire HE10.1's and tempest, and center channel i'll know he be kinda upset cause we're gonna spend about the same amount of money. And i know for a fact my setup will outperform his... I mean, crap his towers can't play above 13khz. stoopid 2.5paper midranges that they try to use as tweets. I tried to tell him that Bose isn't as good as he thinks... but he didn't really listen... and i don't wanna piss him off, so i'll let him figure it out himself when i get my stuff.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan Solberg: ...I mean, crap his towers can't play above 13khz. stoopid 2.5paper midranges that they try to use as tweets...
Good point. Bose never publishes any technical specs on their systems. You do get dimensions of there speakers, but that is all.

Does anyone have a link to any 3rd party research on the technical specs of bose speakers? Frequency response, crossover frequency, speaker size (the 'woofer' in the box)...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I emailed Bose to see "what is the award" they always talk about in their award winning sound.
They came back and asked me some useless questions like what channel was the commerical on and at what time (The Damn thing is always on you cant get away from their crappy advertising)

They made the award up!

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
back in 92 or so ,when I bought my first JVC surround A/V receiver,before there was even a center channel .I went looking for speakers ...BOSE..... I wondered into the store,sold washeres ,dryers and speakers.went straight for the BOSE 301 or something like that,started talking to the owner.I told him I was looking for some speakers and wanted the BOSE,he kinda smiled and hooked them up,put in some Pink Floyd,then told me I ought to look at this other brand he had ,Acoustic Reaserch,I was like "who"I've never seen their ad's on TV.He just asked me to listen and tell him what I thought.I was out the door 20 min later with a pair of AR TSW 510's ,still use them today.

Shane Yates

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize for my remark earlier in this thread, Bose marketing/brainwashing is great. I just have a problem with Bose practices, and feel sorry for the poor people who end up with their products. It just bothers me that Bose lies about the cutting edge technology that their systems posess, 2.5 inch paper cones, come on, my GE alarm clock has that. They do have cutting edge marketing though, I bought 6 Bose acoustimass systems, and 3 wave radios before I knew what I was doing...I'm righting this from Bose marketing BS rehab.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
The Mark Levinson systems in Lexus automobiles are a huge flop. Why, you ask? Because people walk in the showrom and ask if they can have a Bose car audio system instead...because they want high-end! Marketing at its best, Bose style.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Bose has certainly won its popularity I give it that.
At least it's only popular with the uninformed and non-audiophiles out there. I think those brainwashed by Boses advertising deserve the sound they get. :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
oh. my. god.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Bose more highly rated than Mark Levinson. says it all, doesn't it?
I must admit, I have never heard Mark Levinson gear. I'm not an audiophile, in fact I consider myself a tin-eared noob when it comes to the world of hifi. but I do know Mark Levinson's place in the audio world, or for that matter the likes of Krell, Thiel, Bryston etc. (never heard them either, still out of my price range...)
I've never properly demo-ed Bose gear either; when I bought my first HTiB I got a Yamaha simply because it sounded decent and was well within budget (almost an impulse buy, really). by the time I got serious and wanted a proper receiver and speakers I was on this forum doing research, and stayed well away from Bose.
the gym I go to has Bose speakers. so just a few days ago, I tried to listen to it carefully/critically, just for the hell of it. they were playing some dance/techno stuff. I could not, for the life of me, hear ANY cymbals in any of the music played. no high end at all.
it's something I've noticed recently, decent speakers and amps give very nice, crisp cymbals which sound very discrete. e.g. my minicombo in the office right now has rather muddy cymbals, whereas my Missions at home are really nice.
but Bose has NO cymbals at all.
oh well, just my 2-cent's worth of rambling...

John Royster

Screenwriter
Don't worry about it too much guys...

We know what the real deal is.

Too bad most folks don't. It is very similar to Ketel One and Grey Goose vodka. Piss poor vodka with a heck of a lot of packaging and on-premise marketing coupled with a premium price. Battle in the consumers mind is won...quality doesn't matter once you achieve that goal. Once achieved margins can be expanded and distributor relationships can be pressured with an upper hand to the supplier.

Basic business at work here fellas. We are the fringe buyers of consumer electronics. You can apply this model to just about any product.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine bought 2 pairs of 901s (I believe) in the early 90s. He got a good deal on them so he was very happy about them and kept talking about them. I went over to his house and he put on some music and turned them up. All I could think to myself they were undoubtly the worst thing I ever heard. They were blaring ....almost like a real loud clockradio. No highs, no lows -all mid range. I like loud music and played mine louder than that; but the sound made me want to run out of the house.
At the time I had heard very little about Bose. I was living in England and before that; went out all the time and never watched TV. I just couldnt believe how bad they sounded.
Since he was a good friend, I bit my lip and said something kind of nice about them.
I guess when you dump a couple of grand (at least) you brainwash yourself on how good something is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks