What's new

Cable Questions (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ok this is one for the cable experts. With a Laserdisc player it is preferred to use a Composite Cable over a S-Video on big screen T.V.'s because the S-Video bi-passes the line doubler on the T.V. and produces alot of interference patterns. The Composite cable gets rid of the interference but has reduced and muted colors compared to the S-video. I am using a Monster 3 cable in both comparisons. My question is would upgrading to a higher end S-Video cable than Monster( i.e. $150.00 and up cables) reduce the interference paterns and if so would it be significant enough to justify the high price of the cable?

2nd question, I have moved and I am now sitting about 3 feet closer to my HD T.V. than before and I am noticing alot of pixalization on DVD's that I barely noticed before. I am using a Monster 3 Component cable. Would upgrading to a higher end cable improve the pixalization at all?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes than any recomendations?

Thanks in advance.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Would upgrading to a higher end cable improve the pixalization at all
Again, no.
The closer you sit, the easier it will be to see small artifacts/pixels. Your electronics are taking the video signal, converting it to digital and doing LOTS of processing. While a better video feed (meaning a better cable) CAN help, it's not likely to really fix this problem.
The Monster Video 3 cables are quite good, but I dont know if they are rated for HD/Progressive signals. Here are the max frequencies for the video signals:
Component Video: 4 Mhz
Progressive Video: 12 Mhz
HD Video (1080i): 35 Mhz
I DONT think it will make much difference, but if you want to try a HD-rated cable and let us know, I'd love to hear about it.
The best bang-for-the-buck cables come from the custom web sites. These people will build you a cable using the same stuff the production studios use. They also have a fairly good return policy in case the new cable does not improve anything. Their prices are actually below the Monster 3 prices, yet you are getting a superior performing cable.
Some sites for you to look at are:
www.bettercables.com
www.rhinocables.com
www.wickedcables.com
Link Removed
www.bluejeanscables.com
www.heartlandcables.com
www.ebay.com (search for "Canare")
Good Luck and let us know if you try one of these cables and it does/does not solve your problem.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the answers Bob.
The interference patterns I'm referring to are those caused by using the line doubler of the LD player vrs. the supperior line doubler of the T.V. This is what I have read anyways.
I may try and upgrade the cables for the DVD player though and see if it helps. I will let you know if I do.

Thanks Again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks