What's new

*** Official Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Note; this thread is intended for discussion of the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring ONLY. It is not intended to serve as a discussion thread for elements regearing the new DVD release's supplemental materials or the DVD release itself

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Some may fairly question the need for a new thread dedicated only to review and discussion of an extended edition of a film that we’ve already discussed over the past year in numerous threads. I feel this thread exists with good reason in that the Extended Edition of ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ is a remarkable entity in its own right, more so than it’s shorter brother released to theatres worldwide in December of 2001.
With every artistic medium for me I can note a number of creative beings who’s work stood out enough to have been the first examples to make me aware of limitless possibilities with their relative art forms. With literature, for me, this realization was first made abundantly clear to me thanks to the works of Tolkien.
I was first drawn to Tolkien when I was about eleven, that’s the earliest point in my life when I can recall reading ‘The Hobbit’. At around this age I was really beginning to grasp the limitless possibilities of the written word as I became instantly dazzled by likes of The Chronicles of Narnia and ultimately, the extraordinary tales of Middle-Earth. It was not until some years later, at thirteen, that I turned to ‘The Lord of the Rings.’
Is it the finest book ever written? There’s just nothing on earth like it that’s for sure, and nor will anything ever come close to it’s immense depth. The Star Wars Trilogy would awaken me to how far a being can take his imagination in a visual medium, but Tolkien did the same for me in words. The Lord of the Rings ultimately built upon The Hobbit and delivered unparalleled depth to a work of fiction that I have experienced in any medium. Tolkien’s fondness for the finest detail pays off in the most incredible ways, page after page after page. There are memories I have of reading his works for the first time, which I will never forget.
I was calm to the point of release of the film incarnation of Fellowship of the Ring last December. I’d deliberately stayed clear of most public conversation topics regarding the making of the film trilogy, as I continue to do today in the wait for ‘The Two Towers’ and ‘ The Return of the King’.
I never really felt apprehensive at the idea of there finally being screen incarnations of the three books, despite keeping myself away from discussion over what would be changed and who was playing who. I can remember way back when seeing an interview with Peter Jackson shortly before principal photography began in New Zealand. I can distinctly remember his enthusiasm for the project and his knowledge of the world of Middle Earth and its inhabitants that really made me think he could pull it off. To film it all outside of Hollywood, in his homeland of the ever so beautiful New Zealand was a godsend, and of course a surprise that a studio would even allow such a thing.
So, that road goes ever on and on. I waited quietly and patiently, and soon enough, December of 2001 was upon us all and Peter Jackson was ready to give us his telling of part one, ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’…
Having banded together with my brother, and two HTF members I am proud to call friends (Rob Gillespie and Iain Lambert) we sat and watched Fellowship for the first showing that morning on its day or release. We were all really quite overwhelmed by what had been given to us that day. Despite some minor quibbles here and there, Fellowship of the Ring proved to be a resoundingly rewarding viewing experience, and this was confirmed to me as I saw it again the next day, and again the day after that. In total I had the pleasure of seeing the theatrically cut at the cinema six times, the last big screen viewing being in March when the four minutes of Two Towers footage graced the final reel.
It was upon returning hope after that first viewing that I can recall stating on the HTF that any form of extended version of the film I had just seen earlier that day would prove to be one of the greatest things ever…. A little under a year later and with the DVD Extended Edition Gift Set of ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ in hand, I could not be more please to report that indeed what graces us now stands, in my opinion, as one of the very finest things to have come out of the medium of cinema in the past ten years.
The Prologue marks a significantly difficult approach for the filmmakers to have dealt with so much exposition in such a short space of time. As is learnt from the DVD, such a Prologue never existed initially for the film. It was requested by New Line and edited together whilst they production team were in the process of recording the score here in the UK. Philippa Boyens did a remarkable job in writing the opening sequence covering the battle of the last alliance and Bilbo’s discovering of the ring from The Hobbit. The original edit remains unchanged here save for a more dramatic and graphic depiction of Isildur’s death, which marks the first entry for new music by Howard Shore.
Most immediately striking of the early additions if of course the extended Hobbiton sequence, really not so much extended as it is completely re-worked and re-edited. In a delightful nod to the book, dear Bilbo now sits at bag end beginning the first chapter (Concerning Hobbits) of There and Back Again. The musical cue that accompanied this scene both in the theatrical and extended cuts took its name from Bilbo’s chapter title, and Shore here has again completely re-worked the entire musical cue for this sequence with the Royal Philharmonic orchestra to reflect the scene changes and extensions. It is here upon seeing Bilbo for the first time (where the ‘Fellowship of the Ring’ title card now appears) that were here sweet renditions of what will ultimately become the fellowship theme.
The Hobbition and Bag End extensions are very much a sign of what the extended edition has to offer. Here Ian Holm carries a delightfully sweet, innocent and humorous narration about the Hobbits and their daily lifestyle. More so than before now you immediately get this grander sense of such diverse races of beings within the world of Middle Earth. It’s all there in the book of course, but in its extended form, the film now allows reality to grow, it’s exposition in its finest form.
The celebrations for Bilbo’s grand 111th birthday see a number of extensions, the greatest of all, sure to put a smile on readers faces, is the appearance of the Slackville Bagins’ and Bilbo’s ears even twitch upon their drawing near. An earlier reference to the SBs is now made in Bag End where Bilbo speaks of having to escape from “these confounded relations”. During that scene he confirms that the pounding at his door is none other than the Slackville Bagins’. Very cute little references. On screen now, Bilbo shares a nice moment with Frodo which is really rather important given that in the theatrically edition, you never see the two together prior to their meeting at Rivendell.
The grin on the readers faces grows ever greater as the extended edition of the film brings us to the Green Dragon Inn in a lovely scene that, as well as showing the Hobbits at their singing and drinking finest, hints further toward a relationship between Samwise and Rosie. Their exit from the Inn is met with an adorable little moment with Sam.
It was after Bilbo’s departure that the film saw it’s first significant alteration over the book, in that the many years that passed between the time Gandalf had gone and returned were condensed into what the film considers to be only a matter of months. I never remember much outcry from fans over this, and I think rightly so, as the pacing works for the film as it is being told. It’s a highlight I find that gives the early development of the story a far more sinister edge with far greater sense of danger than the relaxed lengthy passing of time we read in the book.
The pacing and structure of the story as far as Sam and Frodo leaving Hobbiton I’ve always found to be expertly handled within the film. Their travels are extended here now to the extent even of an overnight stop over where Sam and Frodo sleep in the forest. This is shortly after they now watch the passing of the elves from a far. Again Howard shore has re composed the existing cue and extended it beautifully here. A sad yet incredibly elegant lament for the elves is sung as they pass through the woodland.
A greater sense of time passing in traveling is one of the things this extended cuts sets out to do, and succeeds admirably with not only the aforementioned scene, but again later as Aragorn leads the Hobbits away from Bree. Here their journey is long, passing through the thick marshlands before another night passes, prior to their ever reaching Weathertop.
I do admire the working of Arwen into the proceedings of the films, as it was a bold change to be sure. There in the forest (“look Frodo, it’s Mr Bilbo’s trolls!”) where her being replaces that of Glorfindel from the novel, just plain works in my mind and the whole being of Arwen in the film serves as being good testament as to the judgment of the film’s writers. A brave alteration, but a good one, as all their alternations seemed to be within the story.
The film’s focus on Rivendell is now significantly padded out, though there is still a fair amount of footage shoot for the council scene that fails to even make it into this edition sadly. At the council now, Boromir’s temptation is even stronger with Gandalf uttering a poem of black speech casting a dark midst over the whole proceedings. Rivendell was one of my favorite locations of the novel, as was lovingly brought to screen for the film. What’s most elegant and beautiful about the set design is that they built the sets around real trees in forestland.
Jackson clearly has a fond love of keeping elements within the film as real as possible, not only for the benefit of himself and his actors, but of the viewer too. One of the things that stood about as being so remarkable about the production was its stellar production value, and Rivendell really showed this off to an awesome extent.
At Rivendell now, Aragorn’s relationship to Boromir is built upon further in the scene where Boromir examines the fragments of Narsill. There’s dialogue between the two now, and the scene is now scored by Shore. Later Aragorn stands before the grave of his mother at Rivendell, the extended version of the film really plays off of Aragorn more, and there’s some excellent stuff from Vigo Mortensen here, who frankly did such an incredible job in having come into the production at so late a date (replacing actor Stuart Townsend who lasted two days in the role). The moment at his mother’s grave, and ultimately his growing relationship toward Boromir, provide the turning points toward his opinions of the strength and honor of man.
As well as a deeper focus on the various races within Middle Earth, what the extended edition also does is deepen characters and their relationships. It does this with Aragorn and Boromir as I have already said, and actually with every character. Throughout you will see relationships deepen between almost every character you can think of, most notable and touching is Gimli’s love for Galadriel, but I will come to that in a moment.
A wonderful new scene of Elrond bidding farewell to the Fellowship comes at the end of our time in Rivendell. Howard Shore again provides a new cue of music here, and actually provides a brand new theme. Lovely, lovely stuff.
So many little things and nuances from the book have been lovingly restored to the extended edition of the film. Moria now sees a number of extensions, the fellowship’s approach toward the walls is extended now, and Gandalf’s frustrating at his failure to utter the correct password at the gates now plays out in a delightful way. Inside, again, the film turns to teachings about another race of beings, in this case, obviously, the dwarves. They travel on through the mines now, Gandalf telling how the dwarves mined for mythril. There is another affectionate nod to The Hobbit in Gandalf’s dialogue here too. Later, in another small but pleasing moment Gollum is at last referred to as Smeagol.
Moria was a dazzling sequence in the film. Even in the extended cut, you still wish it lasted longer than it does, as I personally could happily sit through 2hrs worth of footage of their journey through the mine alone. Alas there is no way film can contend with establishing such a large lapse of time, but the sequence still remains a breathtaking one. The cave troll fight is now extended further, a shade more graphics and most certainly more intense. We’re given a greater sense of teamwork within the fellowship, and just as we do now at Amon Hen, each fellowship member is seen fighting and doing their bit, more so than the theatrical cut had time to show. Theatrically, you’d forget Boromir was even part of the cave troll fight in Balin’s tomb…. Well, that is no longer the case I assure you.
It’s funny at how under whelmed I remain to the Balrog sequence. Perhaps under whelmed isn’t quite right. In fact I damn well know it isn’t. It’s impressive to say the least, but everything I expected to be, little more, although the emotion of the moment is always hammered home thanks to Shore’s music. Visually I was, and still am in subsequent viewings, more fascinated by the cave troll sequence but I in no way speak to diminish the work of the Balrog scene. It’s still a huge and important moment that I remain fond of.
Lothlorien perhaps plays host to the most extensions, and each and every one of them is of course a very welcome one to be sure. Their entrance into the woodland now is completely different. Yet again there is a greater sense of time passing with much focus on the fact the remaining fellowship members may not even be able to travel any further. I recall a while ago, many speculated over the significance of shots showing Sam and Legolas looking to camera as Frodo viewed them in Galadriel’s mirror. Well, those shots are from this scene as Frodo begins to grow ever more apprehensive of those around him. The whole entrance into Lothlorien music has been re-written completely by Shore to reflect the new scenes.
Perhaps one of the most touching elements restored to the extended edition is of course, Gimli’s growing obsession with Galadriel. Three key scenes focus on his glowing love for her, with the most moving of all coming during the gift-giving scene.
Of all the scenes put back, the gift-giving scene is quite easily the most satisfying and beautiful moment one will now see in the film. Of all the brilliant new musical pieces Shore has composed, his ‘Farewell to Lorien’ cue is now the most incredible cue of music I hear within Fellowship of the Ring now. It is elegant and deeply moving and the scene itself is just an absolute highlight. Every time I watch this scene (and there were instances were I watched this chapter and this chapter alone since) I have a smile from ear to ear upon my face. A real tragedy to have been left out of the theatrical cut, it’s this scene, above all the other restored scenes, that truly makes this edition so incredibly special.
Further enhancing tension between Aragorn and Boromir comes at night a while before the remaining fellowship members reach Amon Hen. Here, just as in the book, we see the hint of Gollum clinging to the log, following the fellowship upstream. I always wanted this moment to be in the theatrical cut as its important to show that the little fella is still on their tail by the end of the film, which is of course important in setting up early events in The Two Towers. Alas it never made it in originally, and people were left to imagine that birds nest in the Argonath’s eye was him. Thankfully here, the scene is back… This scene too, also begins to set up Frodo’s plans to head to Mordor alone and there is what I find to be a rather sad moment between he and Sam as he lightly puts him in his place. I have a soft spot for Sam, always have done since the books. His emotion in having to part with Bill in the novel was one of the first things to ever move me emotionally in a book, and I am so grateful to Sean Astin for portraying Samwise as he did.
At Amon Hen, as the fellowship begins to break completely now, events of Boromir’s passing are made even more heroic in the extended cut which ultimately leaves his death an even more moving scene in the film. Again, Howard Shore has gone back and completely re-scored this scene. It resembles much of the original cue but launches into a new heavy male choir motif as Boromir, Pippin and Merry take on the Uruk Hai. The scene originally never failed to put a lump in my through, and it obviously continues to do so in the extended edition.
The climax of Fellowship of the Ring proved to be another masterstroke in structure as pieced together by the three writers. I look back over this “review” and still don’t feel that I’ve said all I wanted to say. If all these word a amount to little more than a love letter to Peter Jackson and his remarkable creative team, then I am guilty but by no means ashamed for I truly feel he and his team have given us the first part in what I feel to be the greatest thing to ever come out of the cinematic medium in over ten years.
I’m drawn to thinking we have not yet seen the last of Fellowship of the Ring on home video in any form. Right now, I feel the film in this incarnation is what is truly best for now, shortly before the worldwide release of The Two Towers. In so many years time, when Jackson has time to reflect upon the three films as one giant film, who knows what he may do in light of fans one day being able to sit and be swept away by the entire journey in the comfort of their homes.
The end title sequence is amended now to note additonal cast members, artists and musical performers. The music remains as it was theatrically (May it be, In Dreams, Many Meetings). The credtis are followed by a loving presentation of fan club members names for which I sadly was never in the financial position to sign myself to at the time. Existing music cues (actually from the theatrical cut) play out over most of thr fan names before the latter half is played out with a glorious new rendition of the 'Breaking of the Fellowship' cue....
I can’t think of a film where it is so obvious of the love and devotion a cast and crew not only have for the source material they are working from, but for each other too. The dedication of the cast and crew of the entire trilogy blatantly shows on film and is testament as to why these films do, and forever will stand out above many.
As a hopeful filmmaker myself, I remain insanely jealous of not only the chance Jackson had to bring Middle Earth into reality, but also of the incredibly gifted people he brought together and the times they shared in bringing such an epic story to the screen. I am only glad that with the supplements on the new extended edition DVD, we can share in some of the making of this, the first part in what will be a dazzling film trilogy.
Filmmaking at its finest…
Dan
PS: You could have watched the extended cut twice in the time it has taken you to read this review. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Hah! I could if I had the EV! But I don't yet! This space is reserved for my review (less extensive than Dan's by far) which will be up in 8 days or less! I can't wait to read your review, but I'll hold off until I can view the thing myself. Great idea for a thread...I have been waiting for this one, my friends!
Brief Update: Thanks to a very good friend on HTF, I managed to get a copy of the Gift Set prior to Tuesday. The gift set is a real treasure, and it took an exertion of will to cut open the box and start drooling over the contents. It's a great presentation, and I was surprised to see that the bookends are rather sturdy and heavy, especially as they are sized for DVD's. The pictures that Aaaryn has posted do the artwork justice, but the texture deserves a note as well.
In a more heartbreaking note, I must wait for the wife to get home before viewing the film itself, but with those oodles of extras...
Well, I managed to watch this film after it sitting in my player for a few hours. I was a little concerned with my wife and the length, but once I settled down, it was a tremendously pleasing experience.
I'll do a little bit for the major additions, and then an overall wrap-up ;)
To start with, I read the books for the first time a year ago. I read The Hobbit in third grade, but could not get into FOTR (made it to Tom B.). I tried again in high school (Bombadil again), college (not even), and even an overseas deployment (a little past Bombadil, but...)! So, finally, the film version caused me to pin my eyes back, and put my nose to the grindstone. I didn't want to see it before I read it, and I really wanted to read it in my life (I grew up on TSR fantasy). I finished it with a great deal of respect, but not a huge emoitonal attachment. It was a worthwhile experience, if not an exhilirating one. I did eagerly await the film, however.
Opening night...my first midnight movie! It was a relaxed atmosphere among the filmgoers. I could sense the excitement, moreso from the older gents who had probably been waiting QUITE a while for this. And, as I covered in the Discussion thread so many months ago, the film REALLY, REALLY connected with me. I devoured The Hobbit again. And I thoroughly enjoyed The Silmarillion. It added a lot to the experience, and I eagerly await rereading The Lord of the Rings. But I have decided to wait until I have seen the films.
Which brings me to my most anticipated DVD of, well, my HT enthusiast life (which also began in 1997 with the waning days of LD). I had been waiting for this ever since it's announcement, skipping the recent reviews and just waiting.
Other members have covered all of the extended scenes so effectively, I'll summarize what they meant to me. The new opening grounds the story and the main characters. It also adds some lightness and humor. The Sam and Frodo relationship is also incredible, among my favorites. The extra meat on "journey" scenes were all very welcome, and added to the feel of M-E and the timeline. One nice touch was the addition of one of my favorite lines from the book..."look fairer and feel fouler"...regarding Aragorn. It's been a year, but I liked it. Skipping ahead to Rivendell, I really enjoyed the addition to the council scene. It continues the dread power of the ring, and more importantly, gives Boromir a better full introduction (more on this later). The scene that begins Disc 2, and the Fellowship leaving Rivendell was amusing (although I anticicpated the joke ;) ) and formal. I really found the added Moria scenes helped Gimli and his background (dwarves don't get as much love in LOTR). The action was even more intense, but I agree that it seems to peak a little prior to the Balrog. It still works brilliantly, start to finish.
Next is the oft-praised Lothlorien. It is the meatiest of additions, for certain. Prior to entrance is my favorite of Lothlorien additions, along with the expanded Boromir/Aragorn conversation. The gift-giving was enjoyable, but I enjoyed other new moments more. Call me a heathen :) Galadriel did fare much better (as did Celeborn), and I was pleased to see Gandalf's passing noted with universal concern and lament. Sam's well-intentioned memorial is an odd touch, but not unwelcome. The gift-giving scene moved quickly (in flashback), and Gimli's scene was touching. I do agree that the Aragorn bit did seem redundant, but was not detrimental.
The river scenes flow much better with the short scene between Aragorn/Boromir.
And the wrap-up (with the ending scenes): A bit less relentless in pacing, noticeable more fleshed out, with more effective character arcs. Especially the one that gets to close. My favorite additions are Boromir's. The tragedy and redemption is more effectively set up, and his death scene is significantly more moving (and it was quite moving to start with). I really enjoyed the extra battle bits as well (Legolas is MORE of a badass), again, especially Boromir and the hobbits. Very powerful, and his arc strengthens Aragorn's. I really cannot wait to view this again, now that the new scenes aren't "new to me" but integrated into the story. I am very happy New Line released this prior to TTT. It is simply more fulfilling. It wouldn't work as well in a theater, but it works beautifully at home.
If you read this far...why :D Anyways, a lot will be written by fans about this version. I am glad to have both versions myself, but this will be the one I watch. The other one is nice for comparison (and trailers!).
A great movie, not necessarily made greater, but in the long run, made a richer experience. It just makes me want to see the next films even more!
Take care,
Chuck

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Thanks for the wonderful review. I'm picking up my copy from my store's distributor on Friday and hopefully will be posting my thoughts on Sunday sometime.

I do have one request from the thread readers though, if I may be so bold. I know the EE will be getting TONS of coverage on the DVD review sites but I'm very curious about how the more mainstream media and/or critics will regard this new cut of the film. For example, will Ebert re-evaluate his opinion and give it a full throttle thumbs up?

If anyone sees any of this kind of coverage will they please let us know or post links to the articles themselves as appropriate?

Thanks in advance and I hope this request doesn't go against the intended spirit of the thread.

Dave

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dan,
I'm viewing my dvd tomorrow morning and I'll post my thoughts about it later in the day.

Crawdaddy

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I won tickets to the special screening of the EE in Boston. It's tomorrow night and I can't wait. Not only do I get to see the EE early but I see it on the big screen! I'll try to post my thoughts after I get back.

Wonderful review Dan!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'll be chiming in tomorrow night as well as I have 2 passes to the Cinemark Legacy in Plano, Tx for the extended version screening. Have to get there early to get a seat I hear but I hope we can!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I recieved my copy yesterday and had a chance to watch the film last night. What can I say except this version improves upon an already excellent film. I loved the pacing of this new edition and will become the version of choice whenever I go to give this film a spin (which is a lot if you know me).

Dan has given us a nice detailed description of what you can expect so I can't really add much. It was great to see how much more time Lothlorien is given in this version. It also adds more depth to Gimli, which I felt was lacking in the theatrical cut. I love the Gift-giving scene, and its certainly nice to see it re-inserted - the best part about this whole scene is the score. I'm glad we will be able to hear this when TT score is released next month

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright, just got done watching the extended version with only one viewing of the theatrical version last December. I enjoyed the film more this time than my first viewing in December. I still don't understand the fever pitch some of you have for the film, but perhaps it's because I don't fully appreciate it due to not ever reading the books. Anyhow, a very good film that I will watch again for more clarification to some story details.

Crawdaddy

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
On reflection, I think they overplayed the scene in Durin's tomb. Well, kind of. I love that whole sequence (and the new extended cut makes it even better), but in contrast, the Balrog scene just isn't as 'scary' or 'dangerous'.
I would have much preferred to see that scene play out a little longer and closer to the book. Imagine, after seeing that amazing stuff with the troll, the team descend down the stairs, only to see hoards of Orcs behind the wall of flame with two trolls then bridging the gap with stone slabs. Cue more running, cue Balrog with everything moving out of the way.
I'm also curious as to why PJ changed some of the dialogue to different characters. A lot of it makes sense, but there's some odd alterations - like Sam's line in the Midgewater being moved to come from Merry. Why change it? very odd.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK - I have to ask the inevitable question. If this version had been the original theatrical release would it have won the best picture Oscar?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Honestly, Lou? No, this would not sway their decision. Nominating it was enough for the Academy to acknowledge the film, it's the most they could bring themselves to do and I don't even think this editon could have changed the outcome.
I don't even know if I would say that the extended edition makes it a better movie as a whole. For fans fo the books, it probably does. It makes it an incredibly more rewarding experience with greater depth, but in my mind what's here is still not enough to sway the opinions of the cynics.
I don't see any of the trilogy ever winning Best Picture, because in most cases you can read AMPAS like a book (and not a very good one :) ). When it's all done, if they fail to even acknowledge PJ and his team with a special award for achivement then what little respect I still hold for the organisation will be lost for all eternity.
Dan

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
When it's all done, if they fail to even acknowledge PJ and his team with a special award for achivement then what little respect I still hold for the organisation will be lost for all eternity.
I concur wholeheartedly with your sentiments Dan.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Interesting Dan. Not sure how to take that. Don't the extra scenes flesh the characters out more. As well this version seems to give a better time and distance scale, no? That was my main complaint with the original release.

If the EE version allows the audience to empathize with the characters more one would say the end result would be a better movie.
Well, I ask myself how much those who have not followed the books will take to the extended edition. In saying what I said above, I had to exmaine it as a whole and appreciate the different audiences who may be drawn to this cut. I think the majority will give it a resounding thumbs up, but having said that I think there may be some out there who liked the theatrical cut enough to really not care about what is furthered in this edition in the long run.

To use the word "better" kind of makes out that the theatrical cut was flawed in some way, and in my eyes, it really wasnt, it was an incredibly rewarding exeprience, and the extended cut is more so, but whether that makes it "better" I am not sure.

I think for those who have been in love with the books for any length of time will obviously be left even more satisfied which this edition, it's balatantly an edition for the fans who will instantly get what's going on in all the new additions of dialogue and the new scenes.

I jut don't want to use the word better really. No worse certainly, but better is a tricky word for me to use. More rewarding by far. It's a greatly expanded journey now and will obviously be the prefered version of the film for the book fans.

Dan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've lost all respect for that organization many years ago when they failed to critically acknowledged better films than Fellowship of the Ring.

Crawdaddy

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I've lost all respect for that organization many years ago when they failed to critically acknowledged better films than Fellowship of the Ring.
Indeed, but one can not deny PJ and his team should be rewarded for their achivement in undertaking such a task. For that, they deserve something special which would ultimately be better than any "best picture" award it could gain.
Again, I am not a fan of the use "best" and "better" which is ultimately where my dissregard for the Oscars ultimately lies given it's impossible to judge a best in such a given situation.
To say there are better films than Fellowship, films that are more deserving of a best picture nod is true, but to an extent. Is Kane a better film than Fellowship? Given they are completely different, one can not say. To me, and this is my point, there is no film of its kind that betters what PJ has brought to screen, and for that he deserves recognition in my mind.
Dan

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Regarding Theatrical vs. Extended cut................
It's might "seem" like a better film regardless, to those who cherish the books. After all, that's really what this extended edition is all about. A version closer to the novel. But make no mistake. As a piece of cinema, it is a DIFFERENT film. Even if it was only changed by 15 minutes, it would be different film. But 30+ minutes spread over the whole running time.....This is a completely different experience. Don't forget PJ is proud of the theatrical cut and does not feel regret that it was the version released last winter.
I'm glad I will own BOTH versions. I anticipate the new cut as being both a love letter to the devotee of the novel, as well as a different experience from the film I loved in theater. Whether I find this experience better on general cinematic level remains to be seen. But after seeing the theatrical cut many times, I'm pretty sure the TOLKIEN FAN in me will love it. ;)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Excellent review! I can't wait to get my hands on this set and view this new cut.
Something that shows us how special this is, is the fact that it's been re-edited. Unlike some extended versions that just tack on a few scenes here and there, they've gone back to the roots, redid many elements and reassembled the movie just for this edition.
I've been a big fan of the books, and after this film was released, it soon became one of my all time favorites. But I did feel a bit disappointed that so much was missing from the film, but with this edition, I'll probably be even more satisfied.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks