What's new

Music - Concert DVD's (1 Viewer)

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
Do any of you have any favorite DVD's of live music events etc. 16x9 presentations would be preferred and music style can be varied. Are there any exceptional sounding DVD's out there as well. Thanks

Leif Wall

Second Unit
A lot of people like the Diana Krall dvd. 16x9, DTS... I just bought it today, but I haven't watched it yet.

JordanS

Second Unit
I bet the new David Gilmour DVD will be awesome. This is merely speculation as I haven't seen it yet.

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
I'll check out the waters, and elo discs, as i'm a big pink floyd, and elo fan!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"Diana Krall-Live In Paris" is the best DTS track I've heard. This would be my no. 1 recommendation.
I just watched/heard "Keith Jarrett-Standards" DVD yesterday, and it's really very good. The video presentation is much better than you might expect for something shot in the mid-80's, very solid and clean with acceptable black levels, and - most importantly - the PCM audio track is fantastic. You can really make out all of Keith's, er... vocal stylings?
Also just watched/heard the "DeJohnette, Hancock, Holland, Metheny: In Concert" DVD, which has excellent video and audio. Actually, the DD-5.1 track is fairly anemic and processy, but no worries - just like the Jarrett disc, it includes an audio track in pure, non-lossy PCM!
BTW, I'm very glad to see the inclusion of PCM tracks instead of/in addition to the 5.1 mixes, and I hope we're beginning to see the end of the DD-stereo tracks for music titles altogether. There's simply no reason for lossy, 2-channel audio formats for music titles when there's plenty of room for a two-channel PCM track instead. The latter two DVDs have it exactly right in this regard, and are given an extra big :emoji_thumbsup: for having gotten it so right! :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The Eagles - Hell Freezes over has a great DTS track as well as a PCM track to go along iwth it.

I really like Metallica S&M i got my dad for his birthday.

Jimmie Lee

Grip
I have quite a few concert dvd's, and my favorite by far is the ELO "Zoom" dvd. The video quality is very good and the DTS music track continues to amaze me. This is one of the sweetest sounding discs in my collection. If you like ELO, you can't go wrong with this one.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Diana Krall is easily the best I have in my collection. DTS AND 16x9, how can you beat that?

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Yes-Symphonic Live is an awesome sounding dvd - complete with a dts option! Peter Frampton's Detroit concert (dts) is another good choice. I've also heard good things about Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" dvd, but I have not gotten a chance to hear it yet.

BryanW

Agent
My favorite is Eagles Hell Freezes over. Also have Don Henley Live inside job and Eric Clapton Live in Hyde Park all three are good ones will check out the ELO !!

Len Simons

Agent
My vote goes to Diana Krall -Live In Paris as well. Outstanding video and sound, especially the DTS mix.

Also recommended very highly: James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater. Unfortunately not 16x9 and no DTS, but phenomenal DD 5.1 sound and superb video quality. I wasn't sure if I'd like this one (JT's a little mellow for my usual tastes), but I find myself returning to it again and again.

Another great concert DVD is Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball.

Len

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
The Eagles - Hell Freezes over has a great DTS track as well as a PCM track to go along iwth it.
This is right up there with Krall
If you are a Cowboy Junkies fan, check out Open Road. Good 2.0 with extra concert audio cd;)
I also like Springsteen Live from New York although the audio is a little shrilling and the surround do a little too much!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
40% of people who came up with recommendations on this thread mentioned the Diana Krall disk. I think that says volumes about the disk. A membership with musical tastes this diverse can come to a judgement where 40% recommend the disk. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I think the Sarah McLachlan Mirrorball is one of the most enveloping concert DVD's I own. I absolutely adore the 5.1 mix. Maybe turn down your surrounds but having seen sarah MANY times live...this is a pretty accurate representation.

Then there's the Madonna Drowned World Tour DTS mix. Good stuff.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
U2 at Boston is a good one. Tina Turner live in Amsterdam is great also, if that is your cup of tea. If you really like loud, nasty, heavy, sweaty, grungy rock...Nine Inch Nails has a great DVD, both video and audio are excellent. It will give your subwoofer a serious workout.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I just picked up Melissa Etheridge Live and Alone. It has DD5.1 and pcm. No band just her. So far sounds good but I would have preferred that she included her band!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks