What's new

Any vedolyne owners? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I am looking into vedolyne and/or hsu subs. How do you like them? How much did you get them for?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I bought a couple of ct 150s. They are the same as the cht 15s. Lets see----$499 for a new one and $375 for a demo with the two year warranty. I pulled the amp on the demo and sent it to Velodyne which they replaced with a new free cht amp. I like them very much.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I bought a demo model of the CT-120 from CC last year for only $280 that works great. Very powerful bass, so much so that I usually have it turned down a bit while my other sub (SVS) I have at full throttle.

You can't go wrong with a Velodyne sub. Easily one of the best sub companies in the world and available at CC's around the country.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I know you asked for Velodyne but I love my SVS. I bought a velodyne ct-12 at Circuit City and it was real boomy. I decided to take it back. My SVS is heads and shoulders above it. I think you will find that the HSU is a lot better too. If you are going to buy a Velodyne let me reccommend getting SLP or HGS series. They are good subs. Of course they are a lot more money. Which brings me back to the HSU and the SVS. I think both are quality subs and a better value.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The cht 15 is head and shoulders over the 12" and calibrated correctly is a non boomy sub. It moves allot of air so that is why I ask % music and size HT.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my F series sub(F-1000)powered up continuously since 1993 with no problems whatsoever. This is a servo controlled unit which was purchased mainly for music. The bass is very tight and musical.

Since 1993 I have upgraded my entire system, to get the best of music and movies within my budget. I have not had the desire to upgrade this sub however. It fits very well with my current system, Studio 100's v2, CC, AVM 20, MCA 5.

When I bought this unit there was very little competition in this product line compared to today. I paid approx $1,000.00 USD if memory serves. Obviously it has been outstanding from a cost/performance perspective.

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I have a SPL-1200 which I have had for just more than a year. It has more than exceeded my expectations and actually is a little overkill for my small apartment. Definately a potential lease-breaking unit.

I paid $1050 for it.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
John the reason you have to turn it down and not the SVS is because the SVS produces more bass that you feel instead of hear. It is just a different sound. I know everyone likes different things. How would you compare your velodyne and your svs?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Shawn if it were Velodyne I was going to go with in your circumstances I would give serious thought to the spl 1000 but the 1200 will serve you better down the road in a bigger room. Headroom is a good thing. I to like to feel the bass as much as I here it so I go with the duel stacked cht 15 approach. One is plenty but two are a experiance. Its no big deal for these subs to add all spl you need or can take. I am basically 100% HT though. If budget is a matter and the most for your money comes into play I would give the cht 15 strong consideration in the Velodyne line. It can be very fast and articulate. I do think a 10" or 12" driver would be best in your circumstances though. The 1000 is like 12" high I think and the 1200 is 14" or 15" high. There are some great subs out there Shawn to choose from and Velodyne is one of them so good luck in your quest.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
John the reason you have to turn it down and not the SVS is because the SVS produces more bass that you feel instead of hear. It is just a different sound. I know everyone likes different things. How would you compare your velodyne and your svs?
Your right, they have totally different sound fields. The way I have the 2 subs set up seems to compliment their sonic differences.
The SVS has much tighter bass and has impact during involved passages/// The Velodyne seems to be always more present and can be boomy if not set right.
Eventually I would prefer 2 SVS subs but for now with what I paid for these 2 subs...these will do.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just created a new post about this problem -

but I just bought a new Velodyne 12" CHT and I am finding it is a bit too muddy or boomy. Can you help me correct this? Using a digital Raido Shack sound meter, I have it set 304 db higher than my speakers, but maybe I need to lower the volume even more. I have all spekers set at "small" on my receiver. Any suggestions welcomed.

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Thanks a lot Steve and eveybody else. I went today to Circuit City and listened to the Velodyne CHT 10 and 12. I know its not a svs, but maybe down the road i'll get a svs. I'll let you know what I get. Thanks for all the help-this forum is a lifesaver!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Shawn being a Velodyne owner I would have to tell you the cht 10" and 12" are noted for being on the boomy side of the tracks. If you can't go with the cht 15, or better for music another line from velodyne--10" or 12" sub. Then I think I would regroup and give the situation a little more thought. Does the VTF-2 interest you or a used PCI? Any chance on giving us a price range? You can have a good sub built for you at a good price to.

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I have given the hsu vtf-2 a thought. I dont know where I can listen to one though. Is anyone selling an hsu? I definitely will not get the cht now. Price range-around 350.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks