Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony XBR400WEGA and 16:9 DVD's

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   MarshawnM

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 02:58 PM

Forum, I and a friend are having a disagreement. I have an XBR400WEGA (Sony). I say that when I view DVD's that are 16:9 enhanced, I'm getting the same picture that I would with a TV that naturally 16:9. Being that this mode is HDTV ready (just add HD decoder). Also, only DTVs can take advantage of a progress scan signal, which the XBR does, (I just purchased the Denon 2800 sweet). Lastly, since DVD's have different aspect ratios, letterboxing does not, therefore Gladiator (aspect ratio of 2.35:1) doesn't look (picture size wise) like Jurassic Park (aspect ratio 1.85:1) He says I’m getting "fancy letterbox". If the XBR WEGA could not show 16:9 then my picture would look distorted (everyone would look like George from Seinfeld, short and fat), as my DVD is set to output 16:9. Can anyone settle this? Thanks in advance

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 03:21 PM

Marshawn, You may want to post this in the TV Projectors area. I don't quite understand what your question is...

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 03:26 PM

You'll probably get better answers if this were in the TV/Projector Forum. I also own a Sony XBR400 but I'm not sure what you're asking other than will you get the same picture on the 4:3 XBR and a 16:9 the answer is yes. However, more of the black letterbox bars are exposed on a 4:3 TV than a 16:9. BTW is you DVD player set for a 16:9 TV? If not it should be to take avantage of the XBR's anamorphic squeeze feature, you should see greater video resolution.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   MarshawnM

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 03:29 PM

I will move to TV area of HTF (forgot about that).

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 03:33 PM

Go to the forum feedback area and ask a moderator to move it for you.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,575 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 09 2001 - 03:36 PM

If I understand, you're asking if the 'squeezed' picture on the Wega is the image you would get on widescreen (16:9) set, assuming they were the same equivalent sizes. The answer is Yes. Setting the DVD player to output to 16:9 TV means it will send the video signal appropriate for a widescreen TV. The WEGA has that zippy squeeze feature that accepts the video signal for a widescreen TV, and then vertically compresses its scan lines to create a widescreen image, and so properly display the widescreen image from the DVD player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users