Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subtitle Problem with JVC XV-S500?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Christman

Jason Christman

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 08:20 AM

I've done a few searches and can't find any mention of this problem on this player. On certain movies, when player generated subtitles appear on the screen, it then switches subtitling on and everything everyone says appears as a caption at the bottom of the screen. It's very annoying on films where there is a lot of foreign dialog Posted Image Switching to the main menu and back seems to fix it. Some films where I've gotten this problem:

Goldeneye
Black Hawk Down

There's a few others as well, but I can't remember at the moment which titles they are. Anyone else get this problem on the JVC XV-S500 DVD player? I was going to contact JVC about it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem first. Thanks!

Jason

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   AlanCOL

AlanCOL

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:36 AM

I also have the XV-S500BK and have noticed the subtitle problem most recently with "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "XXX". I don't know of any way to fix it other than the rumored firmware, but I haven't been able to locate it anywhere.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Peter Loan

Peter Loan

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:34 AM

Same problem on my 600BK with my Ronin disc. Verrry annoying! So much so that I am looking for a replacement player. I may wait for the Denon 2900 or pick up a Panny RP-91 before they disappear.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Peter Loan

Peter Loan

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:35 AM

Oh, and on the 600BK, the zoom icon disappears after a couple of seconds. My friend's 500BK does not allow you to remove the icon.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 10:51 AM

[quote] I've done a few searches and can't find any mention of this problem on this player. On certain movies, when player generated subtitles appear on the screen, it then switches subtitling on and everything everyone says appears as a caption at the bottom of the screen. It's very annoying on films where there is a lot of foreign dialog Switching to the main menu and back seems to fix it. Some films where I've gotten this problem:

Goldeneye
Black Hawk Down

There's a few others as well, but I can't remember at the moment which titles they are. Anyone else get this problem on the JVC XV-S500 DVD player? I was going to contact JVC about it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem first. Thanks! [quote]

weird, I've watched both of those recently on my SA-600bk, and didn't have any issues with subtitles.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 03:42 PM

What is this rumoured firmware and where.how is it available?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert@pcrx

Robert@pcrx

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 11:25 AM

My bad

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Geoff H

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:43 AM

Same problem here. (500BK) On movies like xXx, EVERY TIME a caption came up I'd have to pick up the remote, get into the menu & turn it off. PITA. Geoff

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 07:43 AM

Actually I have not sen this problem yet. I have had the player for a few weeks. What are the titles that this player has trouble with. I see the following listed so far... - Golden Eye - xXx - Black Hawk Down - Who Framed Roger Rabbit What others?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   AlanCOL

AlanCOL

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 04:39 AM

I've only had the problem with "XXX" and "WFRR". I own Goldeneye as well, but it's worked fine every time. As for the firmware, I've just seen people talking about it in other posts. I emailed JVC about it, but they just tell me I have to call in and talk directly to a rep. I haven't done that yet, but if anything comes out of it, I'll try to post it.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert@pcrx

Robert@pcrx

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 05:31 AM

Add Sweet Home Alabama to the list. Irritating that the player is doing this on NEW titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users