Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Films of Zhang Yimou on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 03:23 AM

Over the past few months I have exhausted the video stores in my city renting Zhang Yimou films. It's been awhile since I've found a new director to collect on DVD and I think Yimou is going to be it.

As I've only seen his films on VHS, I thought I'd ask about his films on DVD. Searching through Amazon and eBay I've found that a number of his films are available, however some are overseas discs (on eBay). Before I start picking any up I thought I'd check with members of this forum to see if what is available is of quality or not. I've always been reluctant to dip into the international market for all-region dvds. Please let me know if they are worth picking up.

Shaun

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   James_M

James_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 05:53 AM

I own a DVD of To Live, it's the one with Gong Li and Ge You on it. It is letterboxed at a 2.35:1 ratio for the opening credits and then it is letterboxed at a 1.85:1 ratio for the rest of the movie. The subtitles are burnt on the print. You can listen to it in Mandarin or Cantonese.

http://www.asiandvdguide.com might help.

Some other threads:
http://www.hometheat....ht=zhang yimou
http://www.hometheat....ht=zhang yimou

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 01:16 AM

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but anyone know the status on Yimou's "Hero"? I've been dying to see it but am waiting for an official r1.

ShaunS

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 25 2003 - 01:38 AM

Also, isn't MGM supposed to release Raise the Red Lantern under their World Films banner in their next wave?

EDIT: Oh yeah - how are the Columbia Tri-Star releases of Happy Times, Not One Less, Shanghai Triad and The Road Home?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Also, isn't MGM supposed to release Raise the Red Lantern under their World Films banner in their next wave?

Yeah, where is it? And who has Red Sorghum?

Brandon: it's been awhile, but I remember Happy Times and The Road Home as being good-looking discs.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 02:06 AM

For information about HERO, the best site to check out is :

www.monkeypeaches.com

Hopefully there will be an UNCUT import DVD of the movie soon. Miramax had forced some cuts and the short version is what is available now.

Matt
Hong Kong DVD Reviews and News
http://www.loveandbullets.com

New Jersey Punk Rock
http://www.NJPUNKONLINE.COM

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 02:22 AM

I think you should just get an all-region pal/ntsc converting player... i got one last lear, and its changes my life. Literally. There are so many sweet films out there that might never even be released on dvd in the US that you can pick up... for example, ive got a 2disc Hero with DTS-ES. Ive got a 2 disc BATTLE ROYALE Tin from the UK, Mamoru Oshii's AVALON 2disc DTS-ES, and a ton more... i swear, hold off on the Yimou films for now, and pick up a player, its probably the best investment ive ever made, and i find it more enjoyable than my brand new 46" hitachi that i just got last week!... and the quality, aside from some of the HK titles, are usually good, especially the Korean discs... for some reason Korean discs always seem to look the best.

My suggestion: Go to HKFLIX.com, and order a player, the JVCs and SAMPOs convert pall to ntsc (and all region) but the Pioneers (i know that have the 47a) only plays all region. I picked up the JVC 602, decent features for the price, and image quality is worth it.

Plus: the cool thing is that the import of discs is still completely legal untill the films are released (if ever) in the States. and after that sometimes you can still get them, but it can be tricky... for example i was able to get ahold of the 3 1/2 hour verion of SURIOTHAI just about a day before it was released here.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   ashley c

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:38 AM

Why would you wait for a r1 release of Hero? It won't be released until next year, possibly dubbed, and for sure hacked up.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 04:55 AM

SteveGon> I own Happy Times and it is a great looking disc. Oddly enough I bought it at Blockbuster!? No real extras but the picture quality is top notch. The inside of the pink bus throbs off the screen (which really adds to its intent)! The Road Home was also a nice looking disc. Oddly enough I rented it at Blockbuster!? For all the shit they heap on us film fans (edited films, full screen, 1000 copies of the new J.Lo) there are a couple of needles in Blockbuster's haystacks.

It really is a shame that Raise the Red Lantern is not yet released in R1. Not only is it a great film, but it is in IMPORTANT film, not to mention it was one of those "breakthrough" foreign movies for me and alot of others I know. Not only did it really introduce me to Asian films (I was a late bloomer), but it was the first I saw of what is now one of my favorite directors, as well as one of the worlds greatest actresses, Gong Li.

ShaunS

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 05:08 AM

Ashley -
The current version available is the cut version of HERO. It does have the original soundtrack, though.

Matt

New Jersey Punk Rock

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 07:07 AM

Quote:
The current version available is the cut version of HERO.

Cut version? I thought the R0 was the theatrical cut, and that there will be an extended version?

Jason

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 07:31 AM

it is the theatrical cut, but i think that we will never see the complete verion, unless someone is able to convince the officials of the PRC to allow it... basically, if you have seen the movie, i think that what was cut out was due to political reasons... and that is very clear in the messege of the film. it may even cause a small stirr here in the states when it comes out. plus, i think that the PRC gov. dubbed over the making of interviews, because there are 2 language setting on them, and neither of the words match with the mouths... and Christopher Doyle's voice is deffinitly not right. -- I'm just speculating of course.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 07:43 AM

An excerpt form www.monkeypeaches.com -
According to Chinese media, the role MiramAxe has played was finally revealed during a dinner held in Beijing last night to celebrate the release of HERO DVD and VCD in China. MiramAxe indeed complained that HERO was too long to be accepted by Americans, and after a long struggle with himself, director Zhang Yimou gave in and personally edited a 98 minute version, the one has been shown and will be shown thoughout the world. Zhang Yimou even had to cover up for MiramAxe at the film's Beijing première. He said, "I want to make it concentrated, short, running it through with one breath, no dragging, catching the audiences' attention from the beginning to the end, and not allowing them to think for even one moment until the the film is over."

Here the link to the complete article.

http://www.monkeypea...3M.html#030302A

Matt

New Jersey Punk Rock

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Kim

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
I think you should just get an all-region pal/ntsc converting player... i got one last year, and its changes my life.

Exactly. Truer words could not be written. I've recently purchased a Toshiba SD-3900 ($89 @ Target) and I'm in heaven. So many more choices in terms of online retailers and dvds (an uncut, English subtitled Malena). About the Korean versions of dvds...I generally agree.

Ironically, the place I shop for most of my asian dvds is from DVDAsian.com - yet all of the dvds I've purchased so far are all region.

To Live is such a powerful, emotional, EPIC film. It made a tremendous impact on me.
my girls rock Balenciaga & smoke mad marijuana - M.O.B.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 10:01 AM

All region players are great of course (I love mine) but if you want Hero, you don't even need one. The currently available discs are NTSC and I'm pretty sure R0.

I'm anxiously awaiting a nice release of Raise the Red Lantern. Its one of my favourite Zhang films.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
, but i think that we will never see the complete verion

Supposedly the original masters of the cut footage were found last month (they had been locked down due to SARS) and are in the final stages of being transferred. Though they did say it would be out in July, but now it looks more like August.
Quote:
if you want Hero, you don't even need one. The currently available discs are NTSC and I'm pretty sure R0.

There are 3 releases currently.
1. R0 DVD-5
2. R0 DVD-9 with DTS and behind-the-scenes (the featurette is captioned in Chinese only, the film is subbed in English)
3. R3 2 disc set the mother of all versions out so far

Quote:
Searching through Amazon and eBay I've found that a number of his films are available

Stay away from eBay. Most HK films on there are bootleg copies. Check out DDDHouse for the real thing. Alot of R0 stuff and great prices (shown on the site as HK$, converted at app. $7.80 American to $1 HK). I just received Once Upon A Time in China 1-3 and High Risk (new DTS version) all for $30 (that includes shipping).

Chris

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted July 25 2003 - 02:30 PM

If you can play R3, the 2 disc Hero is the one to get:

http://207.136.67.23...ompare/hero.htm

I was debating whether to get this or the Chinese version (all-region, NTSC) which I could play on my Panny Rp-91, as I was worried about the video quality of my region free player...but the missing subtitles in the bginning made up my mind for me.

Cheers,

Joe
Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 05:31 AM

Any news on Raise the Red Lantern?

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 08:07 AM

sounds like I will pick up To Live, what is the best place ?

cheers
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Any news on Raise the Red Lantern?
Unfortunately: no.

Nor about The Story of Qiu Ju.