What's new

Films of Zhang Yimou on DVD (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Over the past few months I have exhausted the video stores in my city renting Zhang Yimou films. It's been awhile since I've found a new director to collect on DVD and I think Yimou is going to be it.

As I've only seen his films on VHS, I thought I'd ask about his films on DVD. Searching through Amazon and eBay I've found that a number of his films are available, however some are overseas discs (on eBay). Before I start picking any up I thought I'd check with members of this forum to see if what is available is of quality or not. I've always been reluctant to dip into the international market for all-region dvds. Please let me know if they are worth picking up.

Shaun

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but anyone know the status on Yimou's "Hero"? I've been dying to see it but am waiting for an official r1.

ShaunS

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Also, isn't MGM supposed to release Raise the Red Lantern under their World Films banner in their next wave?

EDIT: Oh yeah - how are the Columbia Tri-Star releases of Happy Times, Not One Less, Shanghai Triad and The Road Home?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Also, isn't MGM supposed to release Raise the Red Lantern under their World Films banner in their next wave?
Yeah, where is it? And who has Red Sorghum?

Brandon: it's been awhile, but I remember Happy Times and The Road Home as being good-looking discs.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
For information about HERO, the best site to check out is :
www.monkeypeaches.com
Hopefully there will be an UNCUT import DVD of the movie soon. Miramax had forced some cuts and the short version is what is available now.
Matt

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should just get an all-region pal/ntsc converting player... i got one last lear, and its changes my life. Literally. There are so many sweet films out there that might never even be released on dvd in the US that you can pick up... for example, ive got a 2disc Hero with DTS-ES. Ive got a 2 disc BATTLE ROYALE Tin from the UK, Mamoru Oshii's AVALON 2disc DTS-ES, and a ton more... i swear, hold off on the Yimou films for now, and pick up a player, its probably the best investment ive ever made, and i find it more enjoyable than my brand new 46" hitachi that i just got last week!... and the quality, aside from some of the HK titles, are usually good, especially the Korean discs... for some reason Korean discs always seem to look the best.

My suggestion: Go to HKFLIX.com and order a player, the JVCs and SAMPOs convert pall to ntsc (and all region) but the Pioneers (i know that have the 47a) only plays all region. I picked up the JVC 602, decent features for the price, and image quality is worth it.

Plus: the cool thing is that the import of discs is still completely legal untill the films are released (if ever) in the States. and after that sometimes you can still get them, but it can be tricky... for example i was able to get ahold of the 3 1/2 hour verion of SURIOTHAI just about a day before it was released here.

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you wait for a r1 release of Hero? It won't be released until next year, possibly dubbed, and for sure hacked up.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
SteveGon> I own Happy Times and it is a great looking disc. Oddly enough I bought it at Blockbuster!? No real extras but the picture quality is top notch. The inside of the pink bus throbs off the screen (which really adds to its intent)! The Road Home was also a nice looking disc. Oddly enough I rented it at Blockbuster!? For all the shit they heap on us film fans (edited films, full screen, 1000 copies of the new J.Lo) there are a couple of needles in Blockbuster's haystacks.

It really is a shame that Raise the Red Lantern is not yet released in R1. Not only is it a great film, but it is in IMPORTANT film, not to mention it was one of those "breakthrough" foreign movies for me and alot of others I know. Not only did it really introduce me to Asian films (I was a late bloomer), but it was the first I saw of what is now one of my favorite directors, as well as one of the worlds greatest actresses, Gong Li.

ShaunS

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Ashley -
The current version available is the cut version of HERO. It does have the original soundtrack, though.

Matt

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
it is the theatrical cut, but i think that we will never see the complete verion, unless someone is able to convince the officials of the PRC to allow it... basically, if you have seen the movie, i think that what was cut out was due to political reasons... and that is very clear in the messege of the film. it may even cause a small stirr here in the states when it comes out. plus, i think that the PRC gov. dubbed over the making of interviews, because there are 2 language setting on them, and neither of the words match with the mouths... and Christopher Doyle's voice is deffinitly not right. -- I'm just speculating of course.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I think you should just get an all-region pal/ntsc converting player... i got one last year, and its changes my life.
Exactly. Truer words could not be written. I've recently purchased a Toshiba SD-3900 ($89 @ Target) and I'm in heaven. So many more choices in terms of online retailers and dvds (an uncut, English subtitled Malena). About the Korean versions of dvds...I generally agree.
Ironically, the place I shop for most of my asian dvds is from DVDAsian.com - yet all of the dvds I've purchased so far are all region.
To Live is such a powerful, emotional, EPIC film. It made a tremendous impact on me.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
All region players are great of course (I love mine) but if you want Hero, you don't even need one. The currently available discs are NTSC and I'm pretty sure R0.

I'm anxiously awaiting a nice release of Raise the Red Lantern. Its one of my favourite Zhang films.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Searching through Amazon and eBay I've found that a number of his films are available
Stay away from eBay. Most HK films on there are bootleg copies. Check out DDDHouse for the real thing. Alot of R0 stuff and great prices (shown on the site as HK$, converted at app. $7.80 American to $1 HK). I just received Once Upon A Time in China 1-3 and High Risk (new DTS version) all for $30 (that includes shipping).
Chris

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
If you can play R3, the 2 disc Hero is the one to get:
http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/hero.htm
I was debating whether to get this or the Chinese version (all-region, NTSC) which I could play on my Panny Rp-91, as I was worried about the video quality of my region free player...but the missing subtitles in the bginning made up my mind for me.
Cheers,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks