What's new

The NBA thread...anyone care? (1 Viewer)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Other sports threads have pretty good run, but haven't seen this brought up on the forum. I haven't followed the NBA in years (other than the awesome Lakers/Kings series last year). The NBA has been on the decline lately, what are the feelings here?

Chris

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I never care much about either hockey or basketball until well after the World Series. 82 games plus the very extended playoffs are just too much. These sports (plus others) reduce the regular season to seeding spots for the playoffs.

I will follow casually for a while, but not seriously until well after the new year. At least the Mavs have a chance to do something—and I’ll watch them a bit to see if the promise of emphasis on defense will be realized.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm a fair weather Pistons fan, but rarely pay any attention to the NBA until after football season. If the Pistons are decent, I will watch some games. Otherwise, I pretty much ignore the league.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I am very tired of the NBA and it's college-aged teams (Bulls starting lineup: 22.4 years old) with no fundamentals, though for some reason I keep watching. A few random comments...
I see Mr. Iverson is up to his usual shitty stats (28% shooting). I think he is the most overrated player in history. I don't care how bad your teammates are. Michael Jordan never shot 39% for a season, even when he was surrounded by Granville Waiters and Dave Corzine.
I was pleasantly surprised at Shaq's candor when he called the Sacramento Kings the Sacramento Queens. :D You don't see that much nerve these days in pro sports. While some probably took offense at it, I think anyone with a sense of humor took it as good-natured ribbing.
The over/under for wins for the Bulls is 30. I think they may surprise some teams in the terrible, terrible, Eastern Conference.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I think he is the most overrated player in history.
Overrated players don't win the scoring title and win the MVP. Iverson is EXTREMELY talented, but still not in the top 5 of the league since his game is so single minded.

And at least the 76ers won ONE game vs the Lakers in the Finals. The Nets just got smoked.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Overrated players don't win the scoring title and win the MVP.
Basketball's scoring title is not a true measure of a player's offensive ability or worth. He averaged 30 points a game because he threw the ball up continously. No one voting for MVP seemed to care that he was only shooting 40% from the field, had negligible rebounds, had just as many turnovers as assists/steals, and was a weak defender.

And that's not to mention his illegal moves such as the carry/crossover, but I guess he's no more guilty of that than the real MVP, Shaq, who is bending the rules himself.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The only reason I care about the regular season is fantasy. I'll usually watch a few games in the playoffs, but that's about it.

John Chow

Second Unit
2 words ladies and gentlemen : Yao Ming :p) Ok, I can't help being excited, being from Houston, and asian to boot. Yeah, I know, he won't be able to stop Shaq, but I think he's definitely got some skills, and give him a year or two, should become a very good player.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
2 words ladies and gentlemen : Yao Ming Ok, I can't help being excited, being from Houston, and asian to boot. Yeah, I know, he won't be able to stop Shaq, but I think he's definitely got some skills, and give him a year or two, should become a very good player.
I agree. I'm really excited to see how Ming develops. He's already been winning respect from the players that have faced him and I think he's going to turn into an excellent player, and a great fit for the Rocks.
Speaking of Ming, anyone read the story of him learning about the word "whazzup" Apparently since he learned that it was a greeting and not a Mandarin obscenity people were throwing at him, it's become a thing in the Rockets locker room for him to lead the team in screaming "whazzup!" to each other :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm glad you guys mentioned Yao Ming. He's got me excited again about watching the Rockets this year. :emoji_thumbsup:
Have you guys heard the "Yao Ming" song yet??

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
Yao has a song?! Any links to this?

I like his game. Like most foreign players, he seems to be very good fundamentally and has excellent touch for someone his size. I think that he will do well with the Rockets assuming that Francis and Mobley will share the ball with him.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And at least the 76ers won ONE game vs the Lakers in the Finals. The Nets just got smoked.
Hmmm, and the Pacers won 2 and went OT on a third. For whatever that's worth.

Speaking of Pacers and Yao, I had center court (I mean I was right on the line), 6th row for his debut tonight. His parents were 4 rows in front of me.

First, the Rockets looked dreadful. That team is Francis and Mobley only. Everything that got done good tonight for them was because of those 2 creating it. Watching them interact and ball together is beautiful, the rest is a mess.

Yao was LOST...bad. They were constantly, physically pushing him to spots that they wanted him to stand and stuff. Before you jump down my throat, I understand the WHY behind this problem, but that doesn't make it less of a problem.

Rockets fans take condolence in this - Yao Ming is exactly like Rik Smits his first year. In 3 years he'll be lethal on offense, just as Smits proved to be.

Pacer crowd BOO'd anytime Rudy passed on sending in Yao for another big man. A group of kids in the 2nd level all wore white tee shirts and spelled out "Yao Ming Loves Sportscenter" which was pretty neat.

Pacers have the new "quick" offense created by Isiah. Apparently the focus is to get tons of outside jumpers and have to hit many up and under leaners. Seriously, they must have been forced to shoot (and make most of them) 10-15 of these. (duck under, lean in and shoot)

O'Neal was unstoppable, Artest was solid at times. Best Pacer without the ball...Ron Mercer, same as the end of last year. Say what you will about the guy, but if you want a player who will maintain good offensive spacing and get himself open jumpers, only Reggie does it better. The guy cuts a pick like Spidey clings to walls.

Pacers have a TON of talent but Isiah's new offense better improve drastically or he'll be on his way out the door despite the talent.

Whoops, someone just said this, but I'll leave it hear as more confirmation...

So we find out here in Indy that "Whassup" apparently sounds like something dirty in Chinese. They were talking to Francis the yesterday about it on a phone interview and then got Yao on the phone where he gave the host (Mark Patrick) a "whassup". Pretty funny actually. Seems like a nice guy though.

Anyway, I'll try and put up a photo of Yao from opening night.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Once Yao Ming discovers fried chicken and burgers, they'll have some meat on the guy. No wait, that'll make him Shawn Kemp fat. :D

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Not anymore. The league does not have any classy players anymore. It's more about image and attitude and not basketball.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
First, the Rockets looked dreadful. That team is Francis and Mobley only. Everything that got done good tonight for them was because of those 2 creating it. Watching them interact and ball together is beautiful, the rest is a mess.
I thought Cato actually had a very nice game, rebounding his ass off. He was the only one besides Francis and Cat who did anything. Griffin was very disappointing on offense. 1-11? Ouch.

A lot of it had to do with not having their starting 3 and 4, and their main backup, plus Ming's problems. When your bench basically consists of Jason Collier and three rookies, you're in big trouble. Hopefully once Rice and Taylor and Kenny are back, they'll start meshing again and the problems will start to iron out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks