-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The NBA thread...anyone care?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 05:11 AM

Other sports threads have pretty good run, but haven't seen this brought up on the forum. I haven't followed the NBA in years (other than the awesome Lakers/Kings series last year). The NBA has been on the decline lately, what are the feelings here?

Chris

#2 of 26 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 05:40 AM

I never care much about either hockey or basketball until well after the World Series. 82 games plus the very extended playoffs are just too much. These sports (plus others) reduce the regular season to seeding spots for the playoffs.

I will follow casually for a while, but not seriously until well after the new year. At least the Mavs have a chance to do something—and I’ll watch them a bit to see if the promise of emphasis on defense will be realized.
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 26 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,398 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 30 2002 - 05:54 AM

I'm a fair weather Pistons fan, but rarely pay any attention to the NBA until after football season. If the Pistons are decent, I will watch some games. Otherwise, I pretty much ignore the league.

#4 of 26 Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 06:09 AM

I am very tired of the NBA and it's college-aged teams (Bulls starting lineup: 22.4 years old) with no fundamentals, though for some reason I keep watching. A few random comments...

I see Mr. Iverson is up to his usual shitty stats (28% shooting). I think he is the most overrated player in history. I don't care how bad your teammates are. Michael Jordan never shot 39% for a season, even when he was surrounded by Granville Waiters and Dave Corzine.

I was pleasantly surprised at Shaq's candor when he called the Sacramento Kings the Sacramento Queens. Posted Image You don't see that much nerve these days in pro sports. While some probably took offense at it, I think anyone with a sense of humor took it as good-natured ribbing.

The over/under for wins for the Bulls is 30. I think they may surprise some teams in the terrible, terrible, Eastern Conference.

#5 of 26 Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
I think he is the most overrated player in history.

Overrated players don't win the scoring title and win the MVP. Iverson is EXTREMELY talented, but still not in the top 5 of the league since his game is so single minded.

And at least the 76ers won ONE game vs the Lakers in the Finals. The Nets just got smoked.

#6 of 26 Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 08:13 AM

Quote:
Overrated players don't win the scoring title and win the MVP.

Basketball's scoring title is not a true measure of a player's offensive ability or worth. He averaged 30 points a game because he threw the ball up continously. No one voting for MVP seemed to care that he was only shooting 40% from the field, had negligible rebounds, had just as many turnovers as assists/steals, and was a weak defender.

And that's not to mention his illegal moves such as the carry/crossover, but I guess he's no more guilty of that than the real MVP, Shaq, who is bending the rules himself.

#7 of 26 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,409 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted October 30 2002 - 08:14 AM

Bah! Since the Grizz left Vancouver, I couldn't care less except for the playoffs and Steve Nash.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#8 of 26 Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 08:44 AM

Brian -- Iverson took his team to the NBA finals with that style. Iverson bashing is tired.

#9 of 26 Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 08:45 AM

The only reason I care about the regular season is fantasy. I'll usually watch a few games in the playoffs, but that's about it.
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#10 of 26 John Chow

John Chow

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 10:03 AM

2 words ladies and gentlemen : Yao Ming :P) Ok, I can't help being excited, being from Houston, and asian to boot. Yeah, I know, he won't be able to stop Shaq, but I think he's definitely got some skills, and give him a year or two, should become a very good player.

#11 of 26 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 10:36 AM

Quote:
2 words ladies and gentlemen : Yao Ming Ok, I can't help being excited, being from Houston, and asian to boot. Yeah, I know, he won't be able to stop Shaq, but I think he's definitely got some skills, and give him a year or two, should become a very good player.

I agree. I'm really excited to see how Ming develops. He's already been winning respect from the players that have faced him and I think he's going to turn into an excellent player, and a great fit for the Rocks.

Speaking of Ming, anyone read the story of him learning about the word "whazzup" Apparently since he learned that it was a greeting and not a Mandarin obscenity people were throwing at him, it's become a thing in the Rockets locker room for him to lead the team in screaming "whazzup!" to each other Posted Image

#12 of 26 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,467 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 30 2002 - 11:22 AM

I'm glad you guys mentioned Yao Ming. He's got me excited again about watching the Rockets this year. Posted Image

Have you guys heard the "Yao Ming" song yet??

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#13 of 26 CarlS

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 12:02 PM

Yao has a song?! Any links to this?

I like his game. Like most foreign players, he seems to be very good fundamentally and has excellent touch for someone his size. I think that he will do well with the Rockets assuming that Francis and Mobley will share the ball with him.

#14 of 26 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
And at least the 76ers won ONE game vs the Lakers in the Finals. The Nets just got smoked.

Hmmm, and the Pacers won 2 and went OT on a third. For whatever that's worth.

Speaking of Pacers and Yao, I had center court (I mean I was right on the line), 6th row for his debut tonight. His parents were 4 rows in front of me.

First, the Rockets looked dreadful. That team is Francis and Mobley only. Everything that got done good tonight for them was because of those 2 creating it. Watching them interact and ball together is beautiful, the rest is a mess.

Yao was LOST...bad. They were constantly, physically pushing him to spots that they wanted him to stand and stuff. Before you jump down my throat, I understand the WHY behind this problem, but that doesn't make it less of a problem.

Rockets fans take condolence in this - Yao Ming is exactly like Rik Smits his first year. In 3 years he'll be lethal on offense, just as Smits proved to be.

Pacer crowd BOO'd anytime Rudy passed on sending in Yao for another big man. A group of kids in the 2nd level all wore white tee shirts and spelled out "Yao Ming Loves Sportscenter" which was pretty neat.

Pacers have the new "quick" offense created by Isiah. Apparently the focus is to get tons of outside jumpers and have to hit many up and under leaners. Seriously, they must have been forced to shoot (and make most of them) 10-15 of these. (duck under, lean in and shoot)

O'Neal was unstoppable, Artest was solid at times. Best Pacer without the ball...Ron Mercer, same as the end of last year. Say what you will about the guy, but if you want a player who will maintain good offensive spacing and get himself open jumpers, only Reggie does it better. The guy cuts a pick like Spidey clings to walls.

Pacers have a TON of talent but Isiah's new offense better improve drastically or he'll be on his way out the door despite the talent.

Whoops, someone just said this, but I'll leave it hear as more confirmation...

So we find out here in Indy that "Whassup" apparently sounds like something dirty in Chinese. They were talking to Francis the yesterday about it on a phone interview and then got Yao on the phone where he gave the host (Mark Patrick) a "whassup". Pretty funny actually. Seems like a nice guy though.

Anyway, I'll try and put up a photo of Yao from opening night.

#15 of 26 Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 03:51 PM

...he'll be lethal on offense, just as Smits proved to be

Um....what?

Chris

#16 of 26 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:00 PM

go cavs! Posted Image

#17 of 26 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
The NBA thread...anyone care?

Nah...not particularly. Posted Image

NBA = Basketball?
Is that the game with yard markers and a pigskin?

#18 of 26 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 06:04 PM

Once Yao Ming discovers fried chicken and burgers, they'll have some meat on the guy. No wait, that'll make him Shawn Kemp fat. Posted Image

#19 of 26 AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 12:41 AM

Not anymore. The league does not have any classy players anymore. It's more about image and attitude and not basketball.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#20 of 26 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
First, the Rockets looked dreadful. That team is Francis and Mobley only. Everything that got done good tonight for them was because of those 2 creating it. Watching them interact and ball together is beautiful, the rest is a mess.

I thought Cato actually had a very nice game, rebounding his ass off. He was the only one besides Francis and Cat who did anything. Griffin was very disappointing on offense. 1-11? Ouch.

A lot of it had to do with not having their starting 3 and 4, and their main backup, plus Ming's problems. When your bench basically consists of Jason Collier and three rookies, you're in big trouble. Hopefully once Rice and Taylor and Kenny are back, they'll start meshing again and the problems will start to iron out.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow