Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official "FEMME FATALE" Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted October 29 2002 - 11:29 PM

Rebecca I-can't-spell-or-pronounce-the-rest-of-her-name looks pretty good in the previews.Posted Image

Anybody heard anything yet about the inconsequential aspects of this film--such as acting, or plot?Posted Image
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#2 of 68 OFFLINE   Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 12:55 AM

I heard it got a very bad reception at Venice or Cannes (can't remember where). Sounds ominous. That is all.
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#3 of 68 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 03:10 AM

I heard it is De Palma's best in years.

~T

#4 of 68 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:05 AM

Point, counter-point. Could go either way.
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#5 of 68 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:08 AM

I was rather excited for this months ago, hoping it would finally be DePalma's return to an earlier form. I was quite disappointed, however, in the trailer.

DJ

#6 of 68 OFFLINE   Todd_B

Todd_B

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:15 AM

^ The trailer didn't really do anything for me either. Looked like your standard thriller.

Todd B
Darmok and Jilad, at Tanagra.

#7 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:28 AM

Personally, I can't wait for this film. No living filmmaker makes thrillers like De Palma, and I've stopped listening to trendoid critics who immediately bash all his movies without taking time to understand them. Even Fincher's well-regarded Panic Room played like De Palma-lite.

Mark
My art imitates crime.

#8 of 68 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Even Fincher's well-regarded Panic Room played like De Palma-lite.

Or, rather, Hitchcock-lite (especially given the strong visual references to specific Hitchcock films during the opening titles and the final shot of the film). Just because Fincher, too, was referencing Hitchcock, however, it doesn't make the film DePalma-lite. DePalma, while he certainly does it the most, doesn't have a monopoly on ripping off Hitchcock.

DJ

#9 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 06:04 AM

I don't think Panic Room is especially lighter than most Hitchcock films. It deals with the whole class-prophylaxis issue just as forcefully as a lot of his stuff (to avoid confusion, I still think most Hitchcock films are better). Sure, Psycho, Vertigo, and Frenzy (though it's pretty humorous) are heavier, but De Palma's films are almost always far more merciless thematically. He's taken Hitchcock's influence and grown into a distinguished auteur in his own right.

Mark
My art imitates crime.

#10 of 68 OFFLINE   BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
He's taken Hitchcock's influence and grown into a distinguished auteur in his own right.

Yes, I agree. DePalma takes Hitchcock influence and does things his way. I'm not going to say that I love all of his films, but I like almost all of them. I even liked Bonfire of the Vanities. I'm looking forward to Femme Fatale and hope that DePalma is going back to making good suspense thrillers like Sisters, Dressed To Kill and Blow Out.

#11 of 68 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 08:11 AM

DePalma is easily one of my favorite directors, as well. I'll be seeing Femme Fatale, which incidentally comes out next Wednesday.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#12 of 68 OFFLINE   MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 10:37 AM

A friend of mine saw "Femme Fatale" at Cannes, and she didn't care much for it. Her and I generally agree when it comes to films, so I don't have such high expectations.

#13 of 68 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 11:30 AM

Is it just me, or is billing DePalma as "the master of the erotic thriller" (as the posters and trailer do) really selling him short?

I mean, with the exception of Body Double, can his work really be sold that way at all? Or am I just ghettoizing the genre of "erotic thrillers" because of all of those cheap, direct to video/cable Shannon Tweed movies?

I realize that DePalma's work is frequently very derivative, but when it's good I really enjoy it. Even his best work, I find, requires me to turn my brain off a little more than usual, but when I can, his work packs quite a punch. I remember seeing Raising Cain in the theatre with jet lag, and my not-full-speed brain and I had just the wildest time. Viewing it later, it's kind of obvious and frequently illogical, but what a trip!

#14 of 68 OFFLINE   BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 05:37 PM

I doubt any Shannon Tweed movies have 5-minute-long uninterrupted steadicam shots. DePalma didn't invent the long steadicam shot, but I think he popularized it, so much so that directors from Scorsese to P.T. Anderson have picked up on it. DePalma himself probably derived it from Orson Welles with Touch of Evil. Watching a DePalma movie, if nothing more, you know that you're going to get two things: female nudity and a really long steadicam shot.

#15 of 68 OFFLINE   Justin Doring

Justin Doring

Screenwriter

• 1,468 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 02:20 PM

"Or, rather, Hitchcock-lite (especially given the strong visual references to specific Hitchcock films during the opening titles and the final shot of the film)."

Damin, I rented Panic Room (I would have bought it, but an SE is coming next year!) a few weeks ago, but when I watched it I wasn't too alert, and so exact shots are a bit fuzzy in my mind. Would you be so kind as to tell me the specific visual references to Hitchcock films Fincher used in the opening and closing scenes and throughout the film, as I can't really recall any. Thanks!
"Home is where the theater is!"

#16 of 68 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted October 31 2002 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
Damin, I rented Panic Room (I would have bought it, but an SE is coming next year!) a few weeks ago, but when I watched it I wasn't too alert, and so exact shots are a bit fuzzy in my mind. Would you be so kind as to tell me the specific visual references to Hitchcock films Fincher used in the opening and closing scenes and throughout the film, as I can't really recall any.

The opening titles were quite reminiscent of North by Northwest, with the words appearing across buildings in Manhattan, while the last shot of the film was a Vertigo trick shot.

DJ

#17 of 68 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted November 01 2002 - 12:51 AM

"you know that you're going to get two things: female nudity....."

I heard Stamos does a full Frtonal nude scene. Anyone know if that true?

#18 of 68 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted November 01 2002 - 08:24 AM

Her husband is in the movie? Posted Image To me -- and Conan O'Brien -- he's "Stamos".

I'm probably gonna go see this regardless. Heck, I saw Snake Eyes.

//Ken

#19 of 68 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted November 06 2002 - 12:56 AM

Ebert goes against all the negative reviews and gives Femme Fatale Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image .

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#20 of 68 OFFLINE   Herm C

Herm C

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted November 06 2002 - 02:44 AM

Very good piece on De Palma in today's National Post.

"I can't think of anything stupider than making Spider-Man 2"

Can you see the irony??

Anyways, it is

here.

Forum Nav Content I Follow