What's new

Movie never released on any home video format (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Even though there are many films which haven't been released on DVD, they have been released at some point in time on some format (VHS, Beta, CED, S-VHS, Laserdisc, DVD). But is there a list of movies which have never been released on any home video format ever such as John Wayne's "The High and the Mighty" and the Poitier/Dandridge "Porgy and Bess"?

Brian E

Screenwriter
I would be interested in seeing a list like this as well. I know The Story of GI Joe (1945) had never been on home video until Image released it in Dec. of 2000.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
That would be an EXTREMELY long list. I doubt if a comprehensive one can be compiled, and most of the entries would be titles that no one cares or knows about, or simply don't exist anymore.

Still, it's an interesting thought. Maybe some programming genius could write a script that will automatically go through all the titles on IMDB and extract the ones that don't have an entry for both VHS and DVD releases...? But then, that doesn't cover other home-video formats, and even if it did, you'd still have to do tons of cross-checking and research to verify that something has never been given a limited release by an obscure home-video outfit in a small country somewhere.

Edited to add:

Unless you impose parameters to limit the scope of this list (country of release, language spoken, range of years, running time, etc.), it would be quite useless even if someone did have the resources and determination to compile it. There would be TENS OF THOUSANDS of titles in a complete list, and who would want to read through something like that? It would be relatively easier to browse the IMDB randomly, pick out a title and do a Web search to see if it has ever been released on home video.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Many major films, especially from fox and Universal ( who barely knows they own the old Paramount films).
Fox is working on many strange titles for DVD I am told, including, finally an amamorphic 4.0 release of Garden of Evil!!! (Unusual western with awesome Bernard Herrmann score.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I believe there's a number of Jerry Lewis films that never made their way to VHS or LD.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Paramount will ever get around to releasing more of his work. The design of the packaging on The Nutty Professor seemed to indicate that it was just one in a collection of Lewis films.

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Maltin's Movie and Video guide does indicate which of its 20000+ entries are available on VHS, LD, or DVD. A quick glance will show you just how many titles aren't available on any video format.

Barrie

Chuck L

Screenwriter
WB's Caged has yet to ever see the light of day on ANY home format.

It is a women's prison film in the film noir genre starring Eleanor Parker (also nominated for a Academy Award in this picture) and the wonderful Agnes Moorehead.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
There are way too many to name, but here are just a few of my most wanted films that I don't believe have ever come out legally, (correct me if I'm wrong), on any home video format:

Ace in the Hole
Bad Timing
El Topo
Images
Nightmare Alley
Phenix City Story, The
Pretty Poison

Jodee

Screenwriter
There are a few that I want that were never released on VHS or otherwise:

At Long Last Love (1975)
Nickelodeon (1976)
What a Way to Go! (1963)

Also there is an excellent TV-movie called "The Girl Most Likely To..." starring Stockard Channing & written by Joan Rivers that needs to come out. It is an wonderful black comedy.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
William Girdler's blaxploitation Exorcist knock-off "Abby," which was pulled for legal reasons after Warner Bros. sued his company.

Sam Fuller's "White Dog" -- which ran into problems of its own because of the subject matter -- is another one.

Fox is sitting on Russ Meyer's "The Seven Minutes."

I think "El Topo" has been released overseas, but not in the US.

All of these can be found as, ahem, grey-market boots, but the quality is defintiely shaky.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Has Cheaper by the Dozen ever been released on video? That was a fairly popular book/ movie.
Maybe the question should be: what is the most successful movie to never be released on video?

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Cheaper by the Dozen was released on video, but is now out of print. I've seen copies go for $60-100 on ebay. My mom loves this movie, and constantly asks me about whether it's going to be released on DVD. While I've personally not heard anything, it'd be nice to find out that it will be one of the 36 classics released by Fox next year.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Billy Wilder's "Ace In The Hole" aka "The Big Carnival" is definitely the biggest title that I know of, that has never been made available. And there's no excuse for it either, this title is routinely sold on Ebay in tape from TV - VHS copies for $25+

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Nude Bomb and The Gong Show Movie

are two that I believe have never made
it to any video format.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Robert Altman's Three Women is another.

Roger Ebert's film festival showed this about a year ago in a brand new print from Fox. Here's hoping this bodes well for a dvd release.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I've been waiting for 3 Women for years. All I have is a VHS from TV, edited for length, with commercials.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
A couple of '50s Sci-Fi "classics:" The Space Children and The Colossus of New York. They were a double feature when first released, strangely enough.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I don't think "Our Man in Havana" has ever been on home video. A movie I love that I wish were out is "Mirage" with Gregory Peck and Walter Mathau. I don't know that it has ever officially come out on home video. And the movie "Busting" with Elliot Gould and Robert Blake only came out in Japan (I own the P&S laser disc).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ron, The Nude Bomb was released on laser disc and Larry, so was Mirage which was double billed on a laser disc with The List Of Adrian Messenger.
Both titles are in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks