What's new

2003 Release Schedule of High Profile Titles (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Usually this time of year we know a fair amount about release schedules for the upcoming year. Since the studios no longer do chats and other sources are not as reliable I wonder what everyone in this forum knows about certain high profile titles for R1 in 2003 like:
- Schindler's List (some speculation but nothing solid)
- African Queen
- Treasure of the Sierra Madre
- King Kong
- The Jazz Singer (1927)
- Rerelease of the Right Stuff SE (non-flipper)
- Rerelease of Double Indemnity (existing release is quite bad - transfer-wise)
- Reiders of the Lost Ark (rumors for 2003 exist)
- Giant (previously released and available only in Canada)
- Bringing up Baby
- The Grapes of Wrath (restoration is rumored but release year is not discussed as far as I know)
- Around the World in 80 Days
- Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
- West Side Story SE
and any others people think might be 2003 candidates. I realize someof these might be already available outside of R1 (African Queen?) but I'm particularly interested in R1 titles. I've made no mention of Star Wars for obvious reasons ;) .
Joel

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I believe King Kong has been all but confirmed for a 2003 release in R1. It was recently restored by the same company that did the Citizen Kane restoration. And 2003 is its anniversary (either 60 or 70, not sure which).

I think Schindler's List is a pretty good bet for a 2003 R1 release. ET is Spielberg's big release this year, and I bet SL will be next year, which is the film's 10th anniversary.

Declan

Second Unit
:D
Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets is another:D
Seriously:cool:
I still have to watch my LD of Schindlers List that I got a few months back, so I am really looking forward to the DVD release as to have some historical docs about the concentration camps. That Band Of Brothers episode about the camps is still in my head after nearly 6 months since I seen it.
Never seen the Treasure of the Sierra Madre but over th past 2 weeks I have been hearing alot about it, so i'll look forward to picking this title up as well.
On a unreleated matter. Is Hitchcock's Rope out on DVD?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]Adventures of Robin Hood[/rant]
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Don't believe you forgot this one! :)

John Simon

Second Unit
Anyone know what the latest is on an R1 Predator: SE? I'd heard that was rumored for 2003, but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Where did the rumor come from for The Jazz Singer?
I didn't say any of these titles are either rumored or confirmed for '03. In fact none of them are confirmed as far as I know, though I see that Schindler's List and King Kong are 'likely' based on 'anniversary predictions'. As I recall some significant anniversary opportunities came and went such as Raiders. My point was that this community typically has the advantage of having visibility of up to 12 months out and since we don't have that situation any more we are back to speculations. Though that can be a lot of fun ;) . I just wanted to see if '03 is stacking up to be as big a year as '02, though if you take the AFI 100 list as a benchmark we have only had M*A*S*H and E.T. from the list so far. I know that Sunset Boulevard is also out next month but that will be one of the weakest years (3 out of a 100) since the start of the format. If you assume next year will be better, let's say 5 more, which will they likely be? I can only think of 3 likely and a handful of wishful candidates:
1) Schindler's List
2) King Kong
3) Raiders of the Lost Ark
------------------------------------
Wishful thinking list
1) Giant
2) Grapes of Wrath
3) African Queen
Joel

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
At the moment I highly doubt Raiders will come out next year. I see it as another one for Lucas to leave until he has enough time to devote his full attention to its full digital restoration and to aquire suitable extras.

However, he did say this year that he was trying to get Speilberg to do the audio commentary for it. But I'd guess 2004 or 2005.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
...though if you take the AFI 100 list as a benchmark we have only had M*A*S*H and E.T. from the list so far. I know that Sunset Boulevard is also out next month but that will be one of the weakest years (3 out of a 100) since the start of the format. If you assume next year will be better, let's say 5 more, which will they likely be? I can only think of 3 likely and a handful of wishful candidates:

1) Schindler's List
2) King Kong
3) Raiders of the Lost Ark
------------------------------------
Wishful thinking list

1) Giant
2) Grapes of Wrath
3) African Queen
Actually, you can add Giant to your list, I believe. It was due to hit along with the other WB 2-disc SE's a few months ago (Singin' in the Rain, Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, True Romance, and Unforgiven). Then it mysteriously disappeared from the schedule. The talk afterward was that it would be seen in '03. No guarantees, but then there never are!

I've heard rumors of African Queen for next year, too, but I don't recall where. That might've just been wishful thinking.

Miles

Second Unit
How about "Blade Runner:SE" which is alway rumoured and probably finished now... I guess we just need to keep up-to-date with the legal problems :)

Miles

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
At the moment I highly doubt Raiders will come out next year
This is based on private emails I've received from Bill Hunt (The Digital Bits) where he is either speculating or has insider information about Raiders and '03. I don't know if he was able to speculate on the Full Trilogy or just one title per year over the next three years but he definitely was fairly sure of himself with regards to '03. In fact, he proposed that Schindler's List may again slip another year because of the focus on Raiders.

So based on the feedback thus far we have a probable list of:

- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Schindler's List
- Giant
- King Kong
- Where Eagles Dare
- Adventures of Robin Hood
- Two Towers
- Predator SE
- Dances with Wolves SE
- Blade Runner SE
- Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets

Any others? I thought WB was commited to increasing its output of catalog titles? Since this thread is about 'High Profile' titles we may be in for some pleasant surprises to go along with the inevitable release date slips.

Remember the premise -- none of these titles are confirmed but just probable/likely for the coming year...

Joel

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Here are some other 2003 rumored releases that I've read about at various places.
Take em all with a grain of salt.
The Thing '51
Dial M For Murder
Goodfellas SE
Scarface SE
Day the Earth Stood Still
My Darling Clementine
Hud
Zulu SE
Raging Bull SE
Great Escape SE
The Enemy Below
The Comancheros
Once Upon a Time in America
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
One Million Years B.C.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Here are some other 2003 rumored releases that I've read about at various places.
Take em all with a grain of salt.
The Thing '51
Dial M For Murder
Goodfellas SE
Scarface SE
Day the Earth Stood Still
My Darling Clementine
Hud
Zulu SE
Raging Bull SE
Great Escape SE
The Enemy Below
The Comancheros
Once Upon a Time in America
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
One Million Years B.C.
Thanks Jim, for Raging Bull SE, Scarface SE and Goodfellas SE, I meant to put them on my list since I had been hearing about their imminent release in various places as well ;)
Joel

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I also heard the rumor of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" for holiday, 2003! I'm hopeful that the entire trilogy is released next year. But I fear the anticipated 4th film in the series (of which Lucas claims to have in-the-works) might possibly delay the release!
It might not make any AFI lists, but my favorite horror film of all time is due as a special edition in 2003 - DAWN OF THE DEAD! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks