Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gilliam does Grimm!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 06:36 PM

In what seems like a perfect match, Terry Gilliam looks to be directing a film based on the tales of The Brothers Grimm.

The story, described as mixing the adventure of the Indiana Jones films with the humor of Shrek, will follow the brothers while traveling from village to village pretending to protect townsfolk from enchanted creatures presumably with the folklore they have collected. Eventually, the duo run into a powerful sorceress who seeks to put their words to the test.

The film, which has been in development for almost two years and MGM, is looking for a spring production. Gilliam has only signed on, at this point, to aid in its development but is strongly eyeing the possibility of getting behind the camera.

Full article available at CHUD.com .

---

Sounds pretty cool so far! Posted Image

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 07:13 PM

Scott,

Definitely sounds cool! I loved his style in Munchausen so here's to hoping he gets in the director's chair!
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 08:14 PM

One word: Wow!

This is a marriage made in heaven.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 11:12 PM

Sounds interesting. A slightly skewed version of the MGM-Cinerama film "The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm".

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 06:51 AM

But isn't everything Gilliam does "slightly skewed"? Posted Image
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 08:13 AM

Sounds good, but after having seen the excruciatingly sad Lost in La Mancha, I won't believe it until I'm sitting in the theater and the credits are rolling.
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 05:02 PM

Scott Weinberg wrote:

Quote:
In what seems like a perfect match, Terry Gilliam looks to be directing a film based on the tales of The Brothers Grimm.

Bruce Hedtke wrote:

Quote:
This is a marriage made in heaven.

I get the impression that none of you people has any real familiarity with Grimms' Fairy Tales in the original, un-Bowlderized form, not what most English-speaking audiences have grown up with.

"Grim(m)" is right! Let Mr. Gilliam try to adapt the "Juniper Tree" for the screen in his "quirky" style without making a mockery of it!
"Delenda est . . . . "

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 05:41 PM

Nope. I know the 'family-friendly' new versions. Me dummy.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd also applaud a Paul Verhoeven- directed version of the ORIGINAL tales...even though I've never even read 'em.

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 05:41 PM

Quote:
I get the impression that none of you people has any real familiarity with Grimms' Fairy Tales in the original, un-Bowlderized form, not what most English-speaking audiences have grown up with.

Maybe not, but I'd bet my eyes that Terry Gilliam is intimately familiar with it all.

To reiterate, this is a marriage made in heaven.

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 06:16 PM

Rex,

I'm very familiar with the original stories, having read a collection of the tales a number of times. I think he could do a great job with them.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 08:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe not, but I'd bet my eyes that Terry Gilliam is intimately familiar with it all.

He'll probably claim to have never read it.

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 11:18 PM

Quote:
He'll probably claim to have never read it.

Why in the world would you say something like that??

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 08:05 AM

Quote:
Why in the world would you say something like that??

On the commentary track for Brazil, Gilliam says that he never even read Orwell's 1984, despite all the influences it had on his film.

Quote:

When you say Bowdlerized, are you talking about Disney versions and the like, or are most of the actual published texts altered in some way? I've been eying a few of the various Brothers Grimm collections for some time.
8 Ball gave it a 9:
Yo, Martin and Will are my boys, you know what I'm saying? They make jokes I understand. The car chase is dope! I give it a 9 but I'm still 8 Ball.
-user review of Bad Boys II from Metacritic.com

guzzlefish

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 05:54 PM

Randall Dorr wrote:

Quote:
When you say Bowdlerized, are you talking about Disney versions and the like, or are most of the actual published texts altered in some way? I've been eying a few of the various Brothers Grimm collections for some time.

I'm referring to the popular versions of the stories usually read to children (from picture books) and based on standard "Bowdlerized" Victorian translations of the German. (If you find a version of "Little Red Riding Hood" where the huntsman kills the wolf and "retrieves" grandma alive from his belly, and "they all live happily ever after", BEWARE.)

If your idea of "Grimm's Fairy Tales" is The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) and the like, then are you in for a shock! Many, many of these tales have horrible, horrible endings (people being deliberately cut to pieces or burned alive), and are totally unsuitable to the "Monty-Pythonesque" jokiness to which Terry Gilliam seems to be terminally and permanently addicted. They were meant as cautionary tales told by rural peasants to their children, and they weren't at all concerned about causing "childhood trauma".

A Google search of "Grimms fairy tales" reveals a huge number of sites, some with the tales themselves translated and posted, some with information on the history of the collection of and folkloristics behind the translation of these tales. You should find enough reliable information to help you make an informed choice in purchase decisions.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 06:36 PM

Quote:
are totally unsuitable to the "Monty-Pythonesque" jokiness to which Terry Gilliam seems to be terminally and permanently addicted.

Have you seen Brazil? What Terry Gilliam films have you seen? Just wondering.

Who would you like to see make a film based on Grimms, and how do you plan on getting the money to give them to make it? Really, you sound like Lord of the Rings fans who can't stand to see their icon be filmed in any capacity by anybody.

From what I read, the movie isn't one or more of the Grimms Fairy Tales anyway, it's a fantasy about the Brothers themselves, that will incorporate bits from their writings.

Gilliam knows dark, he knows fantasy and he knows funny. I say again, he's PERFECT for the job.

If it ever actually gets made, which I'm not going to hold my breath about.

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 07:31 PM

Vickie_M wrote:

Quote:
Have you seen Brazil?

Yes, ma'am, I have indeed (in the theaters, to boot). I found it quite enjoyable at the time.

Quote:
Who would you like to see make a film based on Grimms, and how do you plan on getting the money to give them to make it?

I could(n't) care less.

Quote:
Really, you sound like Lord of the Rings fans who can't stand to see their icon be filmed in any capacity by anybody.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

Quote:
From what I read, the movie isn't one or more of the Grimms Fairy Tales anyway, it's a fantasy about the Brothers themselves, that will incorporate bits from their writings.

That's a (partial) relief. But, I'd just bet that those "incorporations" will turn out to be of the joky "Monty-Pythonesque" kind, just as I've said. And the Grimms'll come off like two "wild and crazy" von Munchhausens. (Thumbs down!)

Quote:
Gilliam knows dark, he knows fantasy and he knows funny.

And he'll probably mix them all together in his usual overcooked recipe of inappropriate ingredients. (I don't like dill in my angel-food cake!)

Quote:
I say again, he's PERFECT for the job.

Well, it does depend, of course, on the nature of the given project, but . . . . I say he's NOT.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 07:55 PM

Quote:
And he'll probably mix them all together in his usual overcooked recipe of inappropriate ingredients. (I don't like dill in my angel-food cake!)

Geez, I'm sorry Gilliam killed your brother. My condolences.

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 12:03 AM

(sniff sniff) Thread crap alert!

Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
I could(n't) care less.

You sure cared enough to post your thought that Gilliam wasn't the right person for the job.

BTW, I haven't seen Gilliam do much ""Monty-Pythonesque" jokiness" to any degree since The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I'm not sure which films of his, exactly, you've been watching.

DJ

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 07:21 AM

Well, for me, it was the movie 12 Monkeys that made me think Gilliam would be the perfect choice for a film on The Grimm Brothers. I guess I was thinking along a specific style of filmmaker, rather than one who is devoted to a particular genre. Gilliam is diverse and makes films for all types of subjects, that's what I feel a story on The Grimm Brothers would need...that type of ability to cross species. One thing that I am sure of, is that Gilliam wouldn't go for the superficial. He wouldn't film a Grimm Bros. movie with the sole intention of making it a graphic horror film, as would probably be the case of so many of the young directors working today. This is why I want Gilliam to direct a film like this. It's the layers.

Quote:

I guess I don't understand how you make that assertion with so little info. My own personal story is thus: my grandmother was a direct German immigrant. She spent her first 35 years in Germany and one of her most prized possessions was an untranslated Grimm Brothers collection of stories. On rare occasions, I would get to sit and listen as she would crack open the book and read me the stories. She didn't censor anything, I can tell you that and the stories are very graphic. But, they do have a style that is offbeat and quirky-it's not straightforward horror, as I recall and that's why I stand behind Gilliam.

The closest I've come to that was a book given to me as a gift when I was 15. It was translated, but it was the Complete Grimm Brothers Collection, not Bowdlerized or made pretty. Unfortunately, that book cannot be accounted for and I haven't found another copy. But, I do feel as though I have a passing familiarity with Grimm Bros. work and what it might take to bring that vision to the big screen.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow