-

Photo

Rio Grande review online

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 11:43 PM

http://www.dvdjourna....nde_ce.q.shtml

I am very surprised that no one seemed to have brought this to our attention. Ron reviewed High Noon & The Quiet Man.

At least John Ford movies are getting more exposure on dvd which is always a good thing
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 12 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 01:21 AM

I was wondering what happened to this release. Best Buy had "The Quiet Man" & "High Noon", but no "Rio Grande". I also hadn't seen any reviews on "Rio Grande" yet. I thought that maybe this release had been cancelled. It sounds like a quality disc, but I'd still like to see a review that talks more about the picture quality, before I pick it up.

#3 of 12 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,697 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 01:24 AM

I have it, but frankly I was so upset with
the quality of The Quiet Man that I
opted not to review it.

Also, Artisan totally disregards subtitles and
that is a problem for me.

We shall see. If I have time this week maybe
I'll review it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 12 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 01:42 AM

I can certainly understand your POV Ron, hopefully by the time next week rolls around, you have changed your mind

Cheers

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#5 of 12 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,465 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 01:44 AM

I went out and purchased both High Noon and Rio Grande, although I had both earlier incarnations.

High Noon is abysmal and not at all Representative of the film. Viewed a bit of the extant RG, and decided not to even open the new one, which will be returned.

Artisan is spending more time and energy on packaging than on their films.

These people might just as well be selling plastic combs.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 12 Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 02:31 AM

Quote:
High Noon is abysmal and not at all Representative of the film.

I picked this up recently and have never seen the movie before. Can you elaborate on the problems with it?

#7 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,536 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 23 2002 - 09:42 PM

RAH,
My eyes might not be as critically inclined as your trained eyes, but I thought Hign Noon video presentation was better than the previously released dvd and was a big improvement audio wise in comparison to the old dvd.

The latest Rio Grande dvd was also an improvement along the same level over the previously released dvd. However, the big part of this latest dvd release is hearing Maureen O'Hara's commentary. After listening to her stories, you can see why John Ford and John Wayne loved her so much and really enjoyed working with her. This black and white film really captured her beauty.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 12 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,465 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 03:01 AM

These films have a major problem with digital over-processing, to a point at which virutally nothing is left of the original film.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 12 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
These people might just as well be selling plastic combs.
Posted Image

Robert H, you mentioned in another thread that these titles would be going back to Paramount (I think it was Paramount) at some point. Any idea of the possible time-frame on that?

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#10 of 12 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 06:25 AM

For sure, Fartisan's High Noon DVD is about 1 million light-years from looking 'film-like'. Posted Image Sure it's clean and sharp, but at what cost? I recall Mr Harris' comments about Warner's North By Northwest DVD being cleaned up to the point of eradicating precious film-grain (our "friend" Posted Image ) but I quite like the work (in home video terms) that was done on that title, but Artisan do things with their transfers that boggle the mind. I'd like to be more positive, but ya gots to says whats ya feels.

G.C.M

#11 of 12 Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted October 26 2002 - 08:18 AM

The High Noon transfer just did not look right to me and that is why I was surprised to see all the positive reviews that this DVD has received. I am glad that my eyes were not playing tricks on me. The DVD sure is watchable, but doesn't in any way compare to some of the recent black-and-white transfers from Warner.

#12 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,536 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2002 - 11:03 AM

Deepak,
Who is comparing the High Noon dvd release to Warner's recent dvd transfers? Also, I think most have recognized that the High Noon transfer is far from being very good. However, it was still a slight improvement video wise over the previous dvd release with the audio and extras being the big difference between the two dvd releases. Hopefully, in the future, a more measurerable improvement can be seen when a new video transfer can take place in more capable hands.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

Forum Nav Content I Follow