What's new

$2500 spending limit..Need new setup (1 Viewer)

Adam Lee

Auditioning
Hey Whats up,
I need some major help here. I am in the market for trying to find a complete surround sound system in the 2000-3000 range. I just bought a Sony 57xbr2 tv. Now I need some surround sound and speakers to go with it...HELP!!!!
I am clueless when it comes to speakers. I hear so many different opinions. Where I live, I dont have to many places to test speakers out other then like Best Buy, Circuit City, and The Good Guys. So there isnt a huge selection. Just alot of cheaper stuff other then Bose..lol
What I want is two two floor standing speakers that look pretty sweet and sound awesome. I really liked out the Bose 701's looked and sounded but I know how much you all hate Bose :) I thought they sounded good but that is just me. I am just a normal guy...im not big into speakers so i dont know my highs and lows :D At any rate, what other speakers have that same look and same or better sound quality?
I also would like to two rear speakers. I had wiring done in my home so i want two rear speakrs that will mount to the ceiling. Any thoughts?
Lastly, I would like a couple bookshelfs and a center channel.
Once again, I do not know what to do. I want opinions and links to opinions if you have any. I like to see pics. I really want killer looks along with killer sound! I will mainly use it for movies and what not, but music will be played too quite a bit!
Any help would be great! I was also looking at that Denon 1803 receiver..how is that?
Please let me know. Thanks a bunch! I will follow up on this post daily. I am probably gonna do something within the next week or two though. I will take all your opinions very seriously...Help me though! I have saved up some good money for this, so i want to make the right decision... Thanks !

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
don't own them, but have heard them and for about $2k you can get an excellant package.
i had a budget of about 1/2 that and went with an Ascend Acoustic set with Hsu sub.
the sub and rears just came today, haven't had a chance to hook them up yet.
i originally only order the front three to try them out and keep shipping costs down, if i didn't like them and wanted to send them back.
happily, they were as good as their proponents said.
in several ways, i actually like them better than the rockets, but when you wrote about looks being a consideration, the rockets are far out and away one of the best ways you could go.
the asthetics are extremely beautiful and the sonics are even better.
great bang for the money.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Adam, I'd strongly recommend looking away from the Bose stuff and I'm sure many more on this board will too. As far as what you're looking for there are literally dozens of brands and options you could go with. Everyone has a favorite and the biggest thing is to narrow it down to a handful of them and then demo as many of those as you can to find which sounds best to YOU! Remember what sounds good to some won't to others and vice versa, thats why they make chocolate and vanilla!
As for my recomendation, I REALLY like just about any speaker made by JM Lab. It is a french company that makes speakers that range from a lower cost entry level all the way up to $80,000 pair of Grande Utopia's at the upper level. In your price range you would be looking at their Chorus line or maybe the Cobalt line. Here is a link to their web page so you can read up a little bit more on them.
Link Removed
Personally, I have the JM Lab Electra 906's and 901 CC; and I couldn't be happier with them. I use to own some B&W Nautilus 805's and an HTM-1 (VERY popular speakers on this board), and while I really liked them, I am still shocked at how much more I like the JM Lab speakers than the B&W. I'm not saying however that B&W doesn't make good stuff, because they do, I just personally prefer the sound from the JM Labs. But you've gotta listen and decide for yourself.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Brandon

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
A am a little confused about your request. could you list your speaker desire again. This is what I understood:

Budget - Maximum $3000.

Fronts: Full Size Speakers (towers).

Surrounds: Bookshelf speakers - where would they be placed? On a bookshelf, or on speaker stands?

Rears: Ceiling - are you looking for speakers to be mounted "in" the ceiling or "on" the ceiling? how tall is your ceiling?

Center: Standard center speaker.

Next - How big (LxWxH) is your room and does it open to other rooms?

Do you also want a subwoofer in the $3000 budget, or will that be added later?

Thanks,
Mike

Adam Lee

Auditioning
Hey,
Here is a link of my living room. I took these pics awhile back, but it will probably help you guys out in seeing what I want.
http://www.candcwireless.com/personal/livingroom/
You are correct in what I want Mike. Once again I would like to say, when it comes to speakers and my knowledge in them, Im stupid :) So sorry about that
I hope that picture helps though. It shows what I want and where I want it...Its not a huge room, but it will have to do...Im young and this is my first house..Hopefully when I get older, I can upgrade my house and have a dedicated entertainment room :D
Also, for your information, my living room opens open to two rooms. So um ya....lol any ideas?
Thanks for your help guys!:)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Adam,

Where do you live? There may be other members of this forum that are willing to help you shop or give advice about local vendors.

With that setup I would recommend skipping the bookshelf speakers on the ledge for the HT. You really need the front speakers to the left and right of the TV. You could use monitors on stands or floorstnding speakers. Next, place the center speaker right on top of the TV, not on the ledge. (By the way, I think the plants add character to the room....). For now with your room I would recommend only five speakers + a sub. With the angle of your ceiling, a speaker made for mounting ON the ceiling that can be aimed would be better than one that would go IN the ceiling.

Here is a possible line-up:

B&W Speakers: (no sub)
CDM7-NT - Fronts ($2000 retail)
CDMC-NT - Center ($600 retail)
LM-1 - Rears ($350 retail)
Total $2950 retail, should be able to get between 10% - 20% off of retail. Add some standard 12 ga wire from Home Depot for $0.50/ft and you are set.

B&W Speakers: (sub) - this would be my choice of these two.
CDM1-NT - Fronts ($1200 retail + $200 for stands)
CDMC-NT - Center ($600 retail)
LM-1 - Rears ($350 retail)
Total $2350 retail minus any discount from dealer. This would probably leave you with around $700 for a decent subwoofer (I have not looked at sub's lately, so I will decline on this recommendation). However, if you don't mind a LARGE sub, SVS subs would give you great kick for the $700 range!

I think you should be able to get suggestions from others as well. Be patient and you will get several.

Most Importantly - Listen before you buy!

Check out the thread in the HT basics area, it will give you a great wealth of information.

Mike

Bry_DD

Second Unit
check out my side and rear surround that I'm using for my HT. They are B&W LM1. They are a bit expensive though $300. But they do sound good for surround and looks good. For you main speaker I'll recommend Axiom M60ti and VP150 for the center. Also I suggest to try switching your couch and tv. Like putting the long couch against the call were the tv is right now. just a suggestion though.
Here's the link of my HT:my ht
Hope that helps,
Bry

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Mike asked some pertinant questions that need answering before making any recommendations ...THERE ARE ABOUT 30 MORE SUCH QUESTIONS....I think though it would just be easier to say "tell us more about you, the room, future desires with respect to audio, %age of music to ht, types of music/movies, other users of the equipment,etc..."

Adam Lee

Auditioning
Hey,

Thanks for your comments. I am from Fresno, CA. My main thing is that alot of the speakers you guys have mentioned they dont offer at like Good Guys or Circuit City...Do they? I am not aware of any real good speaker stores locally. I may need to take a trip to San Fransisco or something....Any other thoughts? I know at good guys alot of people reccommend Energy or Bostom. What do you guys think of those speakers?

Also, I really think the bookshelf speakers would look cool on the ledge. But you dont think I should get bookshelfs?

This whole setup is going to be used for probably 50% music, and 50% HT. I am into alot of alterntive/punk/some rap music plus all kinds of movies.

This system will be hooked up to my Sony 57xbr2 tv, and I am thinking of getting the Denon 1803 reciever. What do you guys think?

Please let me know more opinions. Thanks!

Clint Roberts

Auditioning
Rocket Package 3 with VTF-2 sub - $$2,400 shipped
Receiver - just missed out on the Harman Kardon AVR520 from Onecall at $539 shipped!

Sorry I went over a little.

I would suggest Rocket Package 1 with VTF-3 with Denon 3803 but then you are talking $4K shipped

Adam Lee

Auditioning
Hey,

Thanks for all the thoughts...Does anyone have links to some of the speakers you guys have said? I havnet heard of almost all of them..lol

Craig

Second Unit
Since you like the Bose 701s you might try some bipolar speakers like Mirage or Definitive Technology. Bipolar (and dipolar) speakers have speakers facing both front and rear, so you get a very open sound. I have a pair of Mirage OM10 speakers as my fronts, they sound good and look nice. As far as regular, direct radiating speakers, I liked Boston Acoustics a lot.
http://www.definitivetechnology.com/
http://www.miragespeakers.com/first/index.htm

Stuart Prillama

Auditioning
Have you looked at PSB's Image line?
I think these speakers have a great look, and have personally been very impressed with how they performed. I chose them over definative, and paradigms offerings.
both the 5T and 6T are very competent floor standing speakers, and at a very reasonable price. I believe they recently started allowing internet vendors to sell their A-Stock speakers /w warranty.
I would also check out their stratus line.
check out: www.psbspeakers.com
if you are looking for something you can find in-store. I really like infinity. Their retail offerings, are quite nice.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
NHT Super Ones x 5 =$800
HK AVM 520 = 700
Paridygm 12 in
powered sub = 750
This is good stuff, add a couple hundred for interconnects, speaker wire, other odds and ends, less than $2500 and you have a great sounding work horse system that you can upgrade along the way.
Use one of these Super ones for center, some will say no no but this will get you started with a good 5.1 setup later you can get a center channel and you will only have to buy 1 speaker for 7.1. Personally I am very happy using the 5 NHTs with a Rotel 985 mk2 and a Marantz AV9000 pre/pro, I use another 2 channel Rotel amp to drive my DIY Subs. Some of my friends with systems costing many, many times what mine cost spend more time listening to it than they do listening to their "super systems" (for lack of a better word)
I totally agree with the person who said stay away from BOSE. Overpriced, Overrated.
This way you will have to buy stands for the front speakers but there are good looking stands out there, you will have much more flexibility using small speakers all around. Along with a big screen display this stuff grows, before you know it your room gets to small real quick.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
>>>Thanks for your comments. I am from Fresno, CA. My main thing is that alot of the speakers you guys have mentioned they dont offer at like Good Guys or Circuit City...Do they? I am not aware of any real good speaker stores locally. I may need to take a trip to San Fransisco or something....Any other thoughts?

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
NHT, Mirage , AND Rockets are all I believe, a little low on the efficiancy scale for an 1803 trying to throw alternative /rap/punk, don't you think? Also we still don't yet know about placement....Bookshelves, wall mounted ,floorstanding? how far of axis are most of the seating positions ? how far apart will the speakers be placed?etc,etc........

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
There is always Klipsch, or JBL for loader more effecient speakers, both can sound real good____________guy

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
NHT, Mirage , AND Rockets are all I believe, a little low on the efficiancy scale for an 1803 trying to throw alternative /rap/punk, don't you think?
True if you are looking at five channel stereo reference level playback. It will do the job until he can upgrade I think. But you are correct, it won't be the best match in the world for getting the most out of any of the listed speakers.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread