Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone ever replace stock radio in '97 Honda Accord?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Don_Houle

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern New Jersey

Posted October 22 2002 - 02:46 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience replacing their stock radio/CD player in their late model Accord?

I have a '97 Accord SE that came with the standard in-dash CD player/ radio combo. A friend of mine who owned a 97 Civic (the same radio and dash configuration) said that he had some problems when he tried to add an after market radio.

According to my friend, the radio was part of the built-in security system and removing it disabled the alarm and remote keyless entry. I can't confirm this since he doesn't own the car anymore.

Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with this type of thing? I'm looking to add a more powerful tuner with MP3 and CD capability, but I don't want to lose either of these two functions!

TIA

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave E H

Dave E H

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 10:22 AM

Hmm. never heard of that.

As an FYI though - theives LOVE stealing radios from Accords & Civics though. My experience has been with aftermarket head units - my girlfriend has had hers stolen THREE TIMES since she got it ('98). f*cking BS. For me, I'm NEVER going to buy an aftermarket after going through all the hassle with the car.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott "E"

Scott "E"

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 10:38 AM

Yes, it's true, but it's easy to get around, well kind of Posted Image. Any local car audio shop should have a wiring harness that has 3 ends on it, one for the factory harness, one for the aftermarket radio and one for the factory radio. On this adapter you will have 3 wires going to the plug for the factory radio. They will be yellow (12V constant), red (12V ignition), and black (ground). You simply need to plug this in to the radio and then the task of stashing the factory radio begins Posted Image. With most of the Accords there is enough room behind the dash to hide the factory radio, just make sure that there is enough length on the wires. You don't need to worry about the factory radio at all after that, it just needs those 3 wires and your keyless entry will still work.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 11:49 AM

my suggestion is to check www.crutchfield.com or call them at 888.955.6000

These guys have all the answers to all these type of car audio questions. They seem to know every car in an out.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 02:26 PM

You can also ask us at www.torontoaccords.com Posted Image

I have a 90 accord which I replaced the entire sound system on my own and never had any problems.

You can find a lot of answers regarding accords on that site.
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   George Martin

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 04:04 AM

ok the 97 civic has a security system wired through the radio. however the 97 accord does not. To swap out the radio in the accord.

1. Remove items from the center console storage then remove rectangular cover from the bottom remove the two screws.
2. remove the cup holder just behind the shifter remove the three screws two on the bottom one on the upper right side
3. remvoe center console.
4.remove two screws on the rear of the black peice that shrouds the radio then remove the hidden screw behind the ashtry.
5. remove the shroud.
6. under the radio you will find two 8mm bolts remove them and the radio will come right out.

be fore you start this go to your nearest car audio dealer and get the following parts

metra- dash kit/ honda accord with pocket
metra- honda wiring harness

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Don_Houle

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 04:09 AM

So, Scott E, you're saying that the original radio actually needs to be hidden somewhere in the car for the remote keyless entry to still work? Wow! Who's great design was that!?

I called Crutchfield about this about a year ago when I first had thoughts of replacing the stock tuner/CD, and they didn't know anything about it. I was surprised because I'd always heard that they had excellent "tech" support! So, I kind of gave up on the idea for a while. I'd like to do the installation myself if it's not too difficult.

I just don't trust most of those "installers" - espcially the Circuit City, Best Buy kids. No offense if anyone works there, but my wife had a new radio installed in her car a while back and they did a bit of a hack job. Any suggestions for good installers in central New Jersey?

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott "E"

Scott "E"

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
ok the 97 civic has a security system wired through the radio. however the 97 accord does not.

It depends on the Accord, 90% of the EX's have the same setup as the Civic's. However, it's been a couple of years now since I got out of installing, so it might be the later year Accord's that this applies to. I could have sworn however that the Accord had this feature added a year after the Civic, with the first year for the Civic being '96. Only one way to find out I guess Posted Image.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 12:09 PM

i've had pretty good experience with both gg & cc when it came to car installs.

if you're concerned, just take it to them but ask to speak to the car-audio manager first - i think the install department usually has their own manager too. let him know how you felt about your wife's install...tell him what your expectations are for this install. of course, he'll say "no problem..." but at least you can corner him later if you're still unsatisfied.

fwiw, i've never heard of a car integrating it's audio components with it's alarm system. that seems counter-intuitive. i mean...what are they trying to accomplish there?

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 01:01 PM

hmm.....i remember there being a website that documented replacing the head unit in that model....

i'll look for it....i know you start by doing something in the center console....at the bottom of it....and then something under the cupholders....

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott "E"

Scott "E"

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 03:32 PM

Quote:
So, Scott E, you're saying that the original radio actually needs to be hidden somewhere in the car for the remote keyless entry to still work?

Unfortunately yes, if your Accord is one of the models with the keyless entry integrated into the radio, then you will have to stash the original.

Quote:
Wow! Who's great design was that!?

When replacing the factory radio it can be a pain, but putting in an alarm takes literally 20 minutes Posted Image.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted October 23 2002 - 05:11 PM

Quote:
i've never heard of a car integrating it's audio components with it's alarm system.

you havent seen enough cars then. i was a mobile installer for two years, and car manufacturers do some very dumb things when it comes to radios. ill bet you wouldnt think ANY car company would run the controls of the airbag through the stock radio, right? niether did i, until GM came along, with some of their 99+ vehicles, they did exactly that. its called RDS II, and they run quite a few of the vehicles functions through the stock radio. only the 99 cavalier and grand am/prix have the airbag problem(forgive my memory if its wrong, its been quite a while since ive worked on a car). as if i needed another reason to hate GM cars....

Quote:
Unfortunately yes, if your Accord is one of the models with the keyless entry integrated into the radio, then you will have to stash the original.

no accords have keyless through the radio, only civics

Quote:
When replacing the factory radio it can be a pain, but putting in an alarm takes literally 20 minutes

not to sound like an elitist or anything, but to do a full alarm install, which includes hiding it so potential thieves cant get to it takes more time than that. if you include taping up all your alarm wires so they are unidentifiable, takes a while too. alarm and remote starts can be easy, but to make it neat up there takes a while. ive done enough of them so i can 'brag' about it a little. not that i'm proud of that, i hated the job for a while, but much of the hatred came from the company i worked for.

Quote:
I just don't trust most of those "installers" - espcially the Circuit City, Best Buy kids.

i know how you feel. the trouble is, i used to work at best buy with them. i may have been young, but i was completely trustworthy. i suppose it didnt hurt that i knew my shit. some of the kids i worked with on the other hand, did some shady things, and thats another post altogether. ok i've sounded like a know-it-all for long enough tonight. go red wings!

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Don_Houle

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 12:52 AM

Christ Reynolds stated:

Are you pretty positive about this?

Two more questions:

Now my front driver's-side speaker isn't working! I should probably just replace all 4 speakers anyway, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to remove the door panels to gain access to the front speakers. The Accord SE has electric windows, so does that make things easier or harder?

I've heard that a lot of aftermarket CD player installations tend to skip after a while. This is true with my wife's one year old CD player as well as a couple of friends' players. Does this depend on the installation or the quality of the unit, or both?

Thanks a lot! I've been looking for this information for a long time. I knew I could count on my fellow HTF members!

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 02:57 AM

i emailed you don

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott "E"

Scott "E"

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 06:13 AM

Quote:

Correct, Christ. The 97 Accord doesn't use the radio, sorry for the confusion, however I'm pretty sure I remember at least one Accord that I worked on had part of the security system integrated in the radio and would not work correctly with an aftermarket. Don you can find a step by step process for installing an aftermaket radio in your 97 Accordhere

Quote:
not to sound like an elitist or anything, but to do a full alarm install, which includes hiding it so potential thieves cant get to it takes more time than that.

How many alarms have you done in Civic's with the keyless built into the radio? Did you know that all the wires for an alarm install (no remote start) are behind the radio, minus the siren wire? Did you know that you don't have to take any of the dash off to get the radio out of a Civic? Honestly, after doing Car Audio installs (including IASCA competition cars) for over 10 years, you pretty much know were everything thing is, and yes, I can, and have many times installed an alarm in a Civic in 20 minutes and it would take anyone not watching me install it more than 10 minutes to find the brain.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
How many alarms have you done in Civic's with the keyless built into the radio?

a shitload

Quote:
Did you know that all the wires for an alarm install (no remote start) are behind the radio, minus the siren wire?

yes

Quote:
Did you know that you don't have to take any of the dash off to get the radio out of a Civic?

yes

Quote:
I can, and have many times installed an alarm in a Civic in 20 minutes and it would take anyone not watching me install it more than 10 minutes to find the brain.

i didnt say it wasnt possible, ive done it, including hiding the brain and disguising the wires, in 20 minutes, because i had 60 minutes to do 3 of them. under normal circumstances, i'd take more time to do it. i would work with these installers who would brag about being able to do 5 remote starts in a shift, 45 minutes apiece. thats fine, until they spend the next week patching up their rushed and shoddy work. so it works out to 2 hours each, when i'd spend 90 minutes and do it right the first time, and the customers would never come back with problems. i'm not saying you rush your work or anything, i'm talking about the fools i used to work with. i didnt want you to think i was trying to one-up you last night, just trying to prove my point.

Quote:
however I'm pretty sure I remember at least one Accord that I worked on had part of the security system integrated in the radio and would not work correctly with an aftermarket

i think youre right about a few of those accords having some security features, but i was talking about the 'problem' with the keyless being in civics only. and you also have to do the trick with the green plug to get the domelight working if the factory radio is out. tying a jumper between the green/red and green/black wires, if my colors are correct.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott "E"

Scott "E"

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 06:41 AM

Quote:
i'm not saying you rush your work or anything, i'm talking about the fools i used to work with.

We must have worked with same type of people Posted Image.

Quote:
i didnt want you to think i was trying to one-up you last night, just trying to prove my point.

Not at all, Christ Posted Image. I hope you didn't take my comments that way either.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Don_Houle

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 06:53 AM

You guys are the best!

Scott, that PDF link you gave me is perfect! I appreciate all the help that everyone's given me on this.

Any comments on accessing the front speakers?

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow