Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Question on "Cadfael" box sets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Felicia J

Felicia J

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted October 21 2002 - 11:41 AM

I've been thinking about buying these, but I'm confused. Exactly how many are there? DVD Planet lists a set 1 and set 3. Amazon lists sets 2 and 3, with the set they list as "set 2" having the same content as "set 1" listed on Planet.

Are there 3 Cadfael boxes or just 2. Or should I give up and just buy these as individual discs?

One more thing: Are these worth a blind purchase. I love the books but have not seen any of the TV series. Should I rent and watch an episode first before I buy?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted October 21 2002 - 02:06 PM

I have one of the boxes back from my reviewing days at DVD Angle. It's not numbered, so I'm afraid I can't help you much there. You might want to check the Acorn Media website (http://www.acornmedia.com) -- they distribute Cadfael in North America and can probably help you out.

BTW the series is absolutely wonderful; if you're a fan of the books, good mysteries, historical fiction, or Sir Derek Jacobi, you'll be pleased as punch. The discs are of mixed quality -- you only get one episode per disc (around 75 minutes or so), with a few extras (interviews, photo galleries, that sort of thing), and the video/audio presentation is fair at best. But I love every one of them (and not just because I didn't have to pay for them, mind you Posted Image )

Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Larry Gelfand

Larry Gelfand

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 22 2002 - 03:54 AM

Set 1 was never released on DVD, only VHS. Many sites listed Set 2 as Set 1 because it was the first set released. Acorn has been trying to keep the DVD numbering consistent with the VHS numbering.

Ref: http://www.acornonli....um=1&Topic=149
-Larry Gelfand

"When I use a word, it means just what I choose
it to mean - neither more nor less." - H. Dumpty