-

Photo

Red objects look orange on my tv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 285 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 19 2002 - 07:02 AM

I believe I may have what is called the "red push" problem on my tv. Objects that are supposed to be red in color have way too much orange in them. I have tried adjusting the color and tint but I just can't get it right. Thanks for any help.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 19 2002 - 07:37 AM

Yep, this is a very common problem. Most consumer sets use red push to offset the blue shift in grayscale that the manufacturers assume consumers want. Of course, if you're a real HT enthusiast, you end up losing.

What kind of display is it?

A service menu calibration can tame the grayscale. As for the orange tints, you might try reducing the chroma levels a bit.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 285 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 19 2002 - 01:16 PM

I have a direct view CRT-Proscan. How do you adjust chroma levels? My tv has basic adjustments like color, tint etc.
Thanks.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 20 2002 - 05:40 AM

Chroma level is the same as color level. Just reduce it a bit to make the skin tones appear more natural. Of course, doing this affects the other colors as well. Nothing can be done about that, short of a full calibration, which I doubt you'd want to do on an older set.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted October 20 2002 - 11:24 PM

On some picture tubes, the red phosphor is not as red as it could be, it is too orange.

If you have an RPTV, you may be able to add a red cellophane (theater lighting gel is better) over the red gun to improve the red, you will need to re-calibrate everything to get the color balance right again.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 285 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 22 2002 - 10:33 AM

Thank you Jack and Allan for your advice. My tv is only 4 years old and it gets a great picture except for the color problem I mentioned. I try making adjustments with the color.