Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Red objects look orange on my tv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 19 2002 - 07:02 AM

I believe I may have what is called the "red push" problem on my tv. Objects that are supposed to be red in color have way too much orange in them. I have tried adjusting the color and tint but I just can't get it right. Thanks for any help.

#2 of 6 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 19 2002 - 07:37 AM

Yep, this is a very common problem. Most consumer sets use red push to offset the blue shift in grayscale that the manufacturers assume consumers want. Of course, if you're a real HT enthusiast, you end up losing.

What kind of display is it?

A service menu calibration can tame the grayscale. As for the orange tints, you might try reducing the chroma levels a bit.

#3 of 6 Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 19 2002 - 01:16 PM

I have a direct view CRT-Proscan. How do you adjust chroma levels? My tv has basic adjustments like color, tint etc.
Thanks.

#4 of 6 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 20 2002 - 05:40 AM

Chroma level is the same as color level. Just reduce it a bit to make the skin tones appear more natural. Of course, doing this affects the other colors as well. Nothing can be done about that, short of a full calibration, which I doubt you'd want to do on an older set.

#5 of 6 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted October 20 2002 - 11:24 PM

On some picture tubes, the red phosphor is not as red as it could be, it is too orange.

If you have an RPTV, you may be able to add a red cellophane (theater lighting gel is better) over the red gun to improve the red, you will need to re-calibrate everything to get the color balance right again.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#6 of 6 Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 22 2002 - 10:33 AM

Thank you Jack and Allan for your advice. My tv is only 4 years old and it gets a great picture except for the color problem I mentioned. I try making adjustments with the color.