Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDFILE has their Spider-Man review up.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 02:49 PM

http://www.dvdfile.c....rman_2002.html

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 02:51 PM

Oh well, whether it is reference or not, this is so mine Nov 1st! I love this movie. I know my mother will want it because she thinks I look and act so much like Tobey Maguire in this film. She even has my girlfriend seeing it now too.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 02:54 PM

That is a surprising video rating. Up until now, I had heard great things about the video and audio. Whatever is the truth, I'll buy it for certain.

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 16 2002 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the link. The video rating seems a bit unfair, as I wouldn't yet call the AOTC transfer the standard...

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 03:35 PM

I haven't seen it, but if the AOTC transfer is anywhere close to being as good as they rave about it being, I can't even begin to imagine how good it will look. Although, they probably should review the transfer on it's own rather than comparing.

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 03:54 PM

I viewed the Spiderman DVD at Sony 4 weeks back, and saw little to no film grain on this transfer at all. I respect Peter Bracke's reviews very much, but I didn't see anything of what he is speaking of on the video transfer..... This anamorphic WS dvd looked like most of all the other top benchmark Columbia video presentations.... PERFECT!!
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 03:57 PM

I will be looking forward to this, even though the review is mixed. I admit it is surprising, expecially the audio review. You would expect bombastic surround action.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 04:01 PM

I heard great things about this DVD as well Neil. That's why I was so surprised by Peter's review. But you know Peter is usually very though and demanding in his reviews. Maybe he looked too hard to find something wrong.

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 04:53 PM

I can confirm some of Peter's comments. Though I'm miffed, as I was told no reviews could be posted until street date.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:03 PM

This is Columbia/Tri star home video. We can expect a superbit in like 6 months. Then a Superbit Deluxe....then....

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   Ned

Ned

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:05 PM

Hmm, I wonder why the video quality isn't quite up to par.

Could it be, SUPERBIT!? (/churchlady)

If they made the video too good, that would make the later Superbit release pointless. We certainly wouldn't want to depraive them of their double-dip. Personally, I'll be renting now and buying the SB later.

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:08 PM

Quote:
We expect a superbit in like 6 months. Then a Superbit Deluxe....

Hmm... has there ever been a SB-Deluxed reissue of a regular SB title?

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   NickFoley

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:09 PM

I'll buy this version and see what all the fuss was about. Superbits arent my cup of tea.

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:11 PM

Doesnt help that he seemed to have something against the movie to begin with.Not that it matters,way I see it ,if I loved a movie in the theater the dvd is already sold Posted Image Hmmm,maybe they left it less than spectacular so that there is a noticable improvement when the sure to be released SB comes out Posted Image What do you guys think? Would they stoop so low? Posted Image Nothing would surprise me these days....

Luis S
Neo: "Its been an honor sir."

Morpheus: " No,the honor is still mine."

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:56 PM

Is it just me, I am really getting tired of reading reviews that post 4:3 screen captures on the review. If I wanted to see 4:3 screen captures I would be buying the Pan&scan release which I do not!

I loved what I saw and heard in the theater of Spidy Man so I think the DVD will not disappoint me!

Wes
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 05:59 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, I am really getting tired of reading reviews that post 4:3 screen captures on the review. If I wanted to see 4:3 screen captures I would be buying the Pan&scan release which I do not!

They're not necessarily screencaps. DVDFile often uses promotional images provided by the studios. They're not stated as representing what the DVD looks like, and they're pretty darn small such that their utility as a reference for the quality of the DVD is non-existant anyway, so I'm not sure why you find them so bothersome.

DJ

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 06:02 PM

I'm not worried. Perhaps I'm not the most anal person, but so many times I've heard a reviewer talk about how poor a transfer was or how it didn't live up and yet, I don't see what they see. I also agree that this film and DVD should be judged on its own merits, not against AOTC or LOTR. Different film, different techniques...it's all going to make the DVD's different. That doesn't mean bad or worse, just different.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

Posted October 16 2002 - 06:06 PM

Quote:
so I'm not sure why you find them so bothersome.

For the same reason I hate watching a movie in Pan&Scan I suppose!

I said nothing about the quality of the shot, although if Ron can give us great ScreenShots then why can others move up to the quality of reviews.

Just frustrated!

Wes
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 06:10 PM

Quote:
For the same reason I hate watching a movie in Pan&Scan I suppose!

What does one have to do with the other? DVDFile is posting promotional images provided by the studio for the purpose of making the review presumably a little more pleasing on the eyes. This has nothing to do whatsoever with watching the film in its proper AR. Do movie posters not in the same AR as the film itself bother you, too?

DJ

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 06:22 PM

So this DVD doesn't have a single deleted scene on it? I find it hard to believe that nothing was cut out of this movie.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow