Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help finding a A/V Switch Box

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Link

Jason Link

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 15 2002 - 12:34 PM

I'm looking for a SVHS switch box that has one output and at least 5 inputs. I need all inputs to be SVHS as I have lots of gaming consoles that need to be hooked up and they all have s-video cables.I'm also trying to hook up my satellite system but until I get a bigger switch box it is on hold. I would like to find a 8 input switch box but a 5 input would do the job. I have done some searches on the net and have found nothing. Do they even make a switch box that big?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Link

Jason Link

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 04:25 AM

Ok, I finally found a 5 input and the price is right so I'll probably just get that one since I'm getting no replies and can't find anything with more inputs on my own.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 09:40 AM

Jason: sorry you did not get replies. I just found your post and usually dont let things drop off.

So for the education of others, what device did you find and where/how much was it?

I dont have my Markertek catalog handy, but they sell lots of this kind of stuff to the broadcast industry. Try Markertek and do a search for "Video Switchers".

I found the OMX-9054 8 in, 4 out for $322
OMX-9051 8 in, 1 out mechanical for $199

Both of these offer audio & SVideo switching.

Note: the pro gear calls SVideo "Y/C" sometimes so look for this to get the proper connection type.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Link

Jason Link

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 04:01 PM

No problem, I'm just glad I found one.Posted ImageI found it on EBGames.com site of all places. It's far from top of the line but my budget is not very big so it will have to do for now. It's made by Interact and retails for $19.99.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   HowardGjr

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted October 17 2002 - 12:09 AM

Just for anybody searching later on:

Parts Express:
#180-938 39.95
This selector switch can select up to five different audio/video components and two different outputs. The two outputs can connect either to a TV to watch a desired program or to a VCR to record the desired program. Inputs and outputs use either line-level (RCA type plug) or S-Video equipped components such as digital satellite, DVD, etc. Five switches on the front allow you to select a source and the sixth switch lets you choose between the two outputs. When using s-video, you have to have s-video inputs in order to have s- video outputs. Equipped with a stereo earphone jack on the front.

Too bad it doesn't have one more input. You could use it to switch DVD-A and SACD into a receiver or an ICBM. Would have made a compact alternative to the Radio Shack dual switch option.

Parts Express also offers a 4 In/ 1 Out S-Video switch.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnTKline

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted October 17 2002 - 11:54 PM

Wal mart has a good one in the video game accesories section with labeled buttons for your gaming system or home theater components.

John

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jon-C

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 10:59 AM

Has anyone noticed a loss in video quality using a switch box compared to a direct connection to monitor? I plan to use it for DVD, satellite, and a future SVHS upgrade.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 01:46 PM

These are switch box's, not splitters.

As long as you have good connections, there should be no visible difference running through a decent switch with SVideo.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 04:16 AM

What would be considered a "decent" switch box? I've got a $20 Pelican one from wal-mart myself, and I'm thinking about getting the ps2 monster cables and routing them through the switch box, and using high quality cables on the switchbox output, but I'm worried that I will lose quality in the switch. I know you always loose some quality in a switch, but do you think it will be anything noticable?

Stephen

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 06:01 PM

anyone?