-

Photo

No Advanced Babylon 5 Reviews?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#1 of 133 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,390 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 06:27 AM

I haven't seen anything on this set yet. Somebody please throw me a bone because I'm drooling for this setPosted Image
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2 of 133 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted October 14 2002 - 07:00 AM

I don't think anyone has seen this set yet.

#3 of 133 Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 663 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 01:46 PM

Think it's been delayed a couple of weeks...
Check out - CONFESSION

Coming Soon to the Dare To Direct CHILLERTV contest!

#4 of 133 Jack_F

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 02:07 PM

What has been delayed? The reviews or the release of the set?

-Jack

#5 of 133 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 14 2002 - 02:21 PM

The U.K. release was pushed back from today (October 14) until the 28th. No change in the R1 release date as far as I know. Either way we're two weeks from the U.K. street date and only three from the U.S./Canada date, and I haven't seen a single reivew, either. Somebody must have a copy of this thing by now. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 133 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 03:34 PM

I ordered the box set fromAmazon.ca I'm hoping it's the same release as the US version
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#7 of 133 Christopher E

Christopher E

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 07:27 PM

I hope someone reviews the R1 set soon! Babylon 5 is probably my all time favourite sci-fi series.

#8 of 133 Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted October 15 2002 - 12:24 AM

I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5
I want my B5

Andy

#9 of 133 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 15 2002 - 04:25 AM

C'mon, Andy. Tell us how you really feel. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#10 of 133 Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted October 15 2002 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
C'mon, Andy. Tell us how you really feel.

I still remember signing my first B5 on DVD petition... It must have been more than 3 years ago...

I can't believe how close it is finally coming...

It will be like visiting with old friends all over again.

Andy

#11 of 133 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,290 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 15 2002 - 12:08 PM

The region 2 Babylon 5 box set is only £33.99 inc postage from Play.com.
A bargain and a must buy for a Babylonie like me.Posted Image
The release date for the R2 is 28/10/02, 10/28/02 if you're American
or 67493.1 if you're Minbari.
Hopefully the rest of them will be released in the next few months [drooling].

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#12 of 133 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 16 2002 - 10:00 AM

Quote:
Hopefully the rest of them will be released in the next few months [drooling].

Here's a napkin. Posted Image

Unfortunately Warner Bros. tentative release schedule for the series (as mentioned months ago by JMS) is more like Fox's for X-Files than Paramount's for the various Treks. They're looking at two sets per year, roughly six months apart. S2 should be late April 2003, and S3 early November. In fairness, B5 has never been the kind of license to print money for WB that Trek has been for Paramount, so they're in no position to commit to spending a million bucks or more prepping the whole series for DVD release in advance. Heck, at this point they can't even be certain that the episodes will sell well enough for them to turn a profit on S1. So I wouldn't expect to see WHV popping B5 boxed sets out like they were a Pez dispenser. At the very least there will be a substantial lag between S1 and S2, because I seriously doubt that they'll start real work on that before they've seen the sales figures on S1. (Figure February before they have those holiday season numbers tabulated.)

OTOH, if the series does really well, or at least sells substantially more than WHV's projections say it will, they may be willing to spend more money up-front and accelerate the release schedule a bit. But I seriously doubt they'll match Paramount's every-other-month and back to back releases at the end of the year sprint through the ST:TNG release.

Andy:

Quote:
I still remember signing my first B5 on DVD petition... It must have been more than 3 years ago...

I sent my first letter to Warner Home Video urging them to release B5 on DVD in the autumn of 1997, shortly after I bought my first DVD player. It has sometimes seemed like they'd never release the series. A part of me still won't believe it until I hold that first season set in my hot little hands. But it's been worth the wait, since they're doing it right, full season sets, in widescreen, remixed in DD 5.1 and with plenty of extras (including those JMS commentary tracks. Too bad he didn't have time to do more.) This certainly beats their original plan back in 1999 to issue the series in 4:3 with no extras and on individual 2-episode discs ala ST:TOS 1999. Posted Image (I credit Niall Young's on-line widescreen DVD petition, and especially the letters it generated, with scuttling this awful idea, one of the few times I think such a petition had any real effect on a studio decision. Of course, that was back in the days before there was a petition for everything and the studios started pretty much ignoring them entirely.)

Regards,

Joe

#13 of 133 PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 08:43 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately Warner Bros. tentative release schedule for the series (as mentioned months ago by JMS) is more like Fox's for X-Files than Paramount's for the various Treks

IMHO this is a very good thing. The Trek sets are being rushed out, and have (so far) no commentary tracks to speak of. At least with a slower release schedule we may get some more thoughtful extras. And I won't go bankrupt next year, either. Posted Image

#14 of 133 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted October 17 2002 - 01:54 AM

As long as they keep a schedule like the X-Files, I'm happy. Please don't fall into the Simpsons trap.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#15 of 133 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,880 posts

Posted October 17 2002 - 01:55 AM

I would prefer a set every month. Posted Image But, I know that is not going to happen. So I would be happy with a set every 3-4 months, instead of every 6 months.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#16 of 133 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 17 2002 - 06:27 AM

Quote:
The Trek sets are being rushed out, and have (so far) no commentary tracks to speak of.

The Trek sets aren't being rushed out. If there aren't any commentaries, that's because somebody decided there shouldn't be. They started working the Trek release over a year ago. Because they had no doubt about making their money back, Paramount was willing to spend big bucks up front, virtually completing work on the entire 7 season run before the first season of TNG ever went on sale. It isn't like they're actually creating a full season DVD set every other month from scratch. They've done the same with DS9. Warner Bros. isn't as sure of B5, so they don't already have S2 and S3 mastered and ready to go.

Regards,

Joe

#17 of 133 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 23 2002 - 07:11 AM

Hmmm...

Two weeks out, less than a week from the R2 release, and still nothing? Isn't Warner Bros. sending out review copies? Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#18 of 133 Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 03:15 AM

Tick Tock Tick Tock

#19 of 133 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 27 2002 - 03:27 AM

People have already started receiving their copies in the U.K. (street date is Monday October 28th) but few comments and no formal reviews have been forthcoming. *sigh*

Regards,

Joe

#20 of 133 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 04:07 AM

Quote:
Isn't Warner Bros. sending out review copies?

Yes, they are - I'd expect to see R1 reviews soon...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow