What's new

Merged thread for "Band of Brothers" (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Just read the Bits review of BOB and I noticed they gave it a B+ audio rating. I figured BOB would have at least received something in the "A" dept. I guess I was expecting BoB to get the same kind of Audio rating that SPR received or something similar.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
WTF is "BoB"? :) How about spelling these things out at least once (in the thread title and the post), so that people have some idea what you're talking about. It is not immediately obvious what "BoB" might stand for.
Joe

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I never got to see this series in anything but regular cable. The picture sucked, of course. The sound was in an all fantastic prologic. I cant wait to hear this baby in 5.1!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I guess I was expecting BoB to get the same kind of Audio rating that SPR received or something similar.
Well you're forgetting this is made for TV. It carried 5.1 in it's HDTV transmission too I believe, which is obviously what's presented here on the DVD. It's not like Gary Rydstrom did it. :)
Dan

Bill Hunt

Insider
Since when is B+ a bad review grade? Not everything is going to get an A you know. It's great sound, just not as dynamic as something like Star Wars. I mean, come on. We gave the 2-disc LOTR a B+ for audio.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
C = average, acceptable grade. C+ and higher is a grade that is above average. B+ seems to me to mean this will be a disc with sound well above normal.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that the 5.1 mix that was broadcast was very, very impressive. In fact it's the only thing that's ever caused aneighbor to complain. I haven't read the review yet to see why it received a B+ rating.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
So now that it is out for you that have bought it, hows the DD and DTS on these discs. Is it comparable to the DTS Saving private Ryan?

Wes

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think, considering this is a TV series, the 5.1 sound mix is pretty aggressive. Some of the sound effects used for artillery shell drops sound odd but since I have never heard -and hope to never hear- the real thing, maybe they are more accurate than they sounded. The quality of the sound itself seems to be pretty good.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Like Wes, I too would like to know from those of you that bought BOB, your thoughts on the DTS audio presentation on BOB? How's it compare to it's big brother SPR ?

Thanks
Troy

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Got my BOB set last night. I watched the first two episodes and thought it was great. The sound on the second episode was very good with lots of surround effects.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have only previewed the set so far but the sound in DTS is very impressive. It is the best sound for a TV production I have ever heard but its tough to expect a TV production to compete with a big budget movie on the technical side. So I think the B+ is a good rating for this. It is the best TV I have heard and better than alot of movies but maybe not quite the level of some of the newest blockbusters. I do think it holds up to Saving Private Ryan very well though but again not quite as good.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I am anticipating getting this in the mail any day now ($55 from bestbuy.com after $25 digital coupon). I remember seeing/listnening to this on my Mits 55" HDTV and thinking that this is on par with any 'blockbuster sight/sound' out there. If the resolution downgrade 1080 vs. 540 will be noticable, I don't know. But even if the audio is the same DD 5.1 quality I heard during the broadcasts that would rank at least an A- rating vs. the >1100 DVD titles I own. We have to remember that all these ratings are subjective and have to be weighed vs. the expectations of the reviewer and the equipment they use for reviews. A DTS presentation of this material should be plenty realistic if it is comparable to the HBO broadcast audio quality. I have no doubt it will be. Any additional opinions from those already in possession?

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks