-

Photo

Toshiba 65HDX82 Connection Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Rykel

Jim Rykel

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted October 13 2002 - 10:07 AM

I just took delivery of a new 65HDX82 yesterday ($2550 from ABC Warehouse). DVD picture is fantastic, but my DirectTV pic is pretty horrible. I don't have a high-def receiver, just a Sony SATB55. Hooked up using S-Video my picture is way too fuzzy, detail is terrible.

I've calibrated best I could with the S&V disc, and as I said, the picture from my Tosh 4800 DVD is incredible.

Any suggestions? Am I just going to have to deal with this until I get a better HDTV receiver?

Thanks for any input...

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted October 13 2002 - 11:53 PM

Amazing price on that set....no input on directtv because I don't have that. But I was considering the 57H82 for $2500!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 01:15 AM

I think you've found out the DirecTV does not have a great picture once you blow it up to 65 inches. The problem is that you start with not always a very good signal, then add the compression from DirecTV, and you end up with something that doesn't look very good. Calibrating the TV helps, but only so far. On the other hand, the HD signals from DirecTV can look pretty good, again depending on whether the material is true HD or upconverted.

SMK

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 02:53 AM

I don't have direct TV, but I do have digital cable thru Time Warner. I've noticed a wide variety of picture qualities on my box. Some channels (usually the cable networks) are very clear while others (usually the broadcast channels carried by TWC) are pretty poor.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Rykel

Jim Rykel

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted October 14 2002 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the replies - I think your'e right Steve; my eyes aren't prepared for a 65 inch picture from a mediocre source.

Anyone think I'd be better off stepping down to a 57 or 53"?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Hartman

Jason Hartman

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted October 15 2002 - 12:58 PM

Here's on tip you might want to try.

My Comcast digital cable STB is connected to my Tosh 65hdx82 via both coax cable into Ant 1 and s-video in Video 1. For most channels, the coax/Ant 1 connection looks much better!

I don't know if this is possible with your sat box but its worth a shot. Lots of other Tosh users have noticed the same thing. ??? Strange.

Jason
My Home Theater:
Toshiba 65hdx82 65" HDTV
Scientific Atl. SA3100 HDTV Cable STB
Yamaha DV-C6480 Prog Scan DVD Changer
Denon AVR-3801 ReceiverNHT SuperCenter and SuperOnes

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted October 15 2002 - 03:53 PM

Comb filter is better in TV than stb.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael BC

Michael BC

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 09:54 AM

I have the 57HDX82 and DirecTV. Initially, I was not enamored with the picture quality of DirecTV on my set. After tweaking the settings, DSS does look better- it also helps to sit ~13ft from the screen. I sit closer for DVDs.

The signal varies considerably from station to station and from show to show. Some shows on ESPN look very good while others look pretty bad. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket and watched several games last weekend- the Cowboys-Carolina game looked OK (marginal) while the Packers-Patriots and the Raiders-Rams games looked very good (I believe those games were national feeds and are allocated better resourses, which tends to lead to better image quality). Same thing with NHL hockey.

I have had the set for only 5 days, however I like the picture from DirecTV better and better each day. BTW, TheaterWide 1 is a very good stretch mode compared to the competition (based on in-store comparisons).

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael BC

Michael BC

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 16 2002 - 09:56 AM

Duplicate message!

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   steve_brucher

steve_brucher

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 17 2002 - 09:08 AM

I also purchased my 65HDX82 from ABC warehouse and paid $2550 for it. It's odd that whenever I posted a note to pricecheck against the competition people thought I was crazy, Especially if you have never heard of ABC.
I get exactly the same thing watching sports. The picture is terrible on panoramic shots and acceptable on close ups. There must be something we can do to improve the signal. Has anyone tried using the dual Winegaurd dishes to point at the sattelites seperately and then mixed the signal downpath? I read an article in The Perfect Vision (I think) and they said that was the cat's #$$%#@!

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jack

Jack

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 17 2002 - 01:45 PM

Do either of you that own the 65hdx82 own a HD receiver?? Wondering if that got you a better picture with Direct tv..

Im about to make the plundge, guess I will wait.

Jack