What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
This thread is to continue the discussion started here.
Here's a little recap.
I had the pleasure of receiving my 2-disk E.T. set Friday night. It was quickly discovered that the original version of the film was included IN FULL on disk 2. I have confirmed that the guns are present, and the terrorist line is intact.
I have put up a site with screenshots and picture of the set (crappy pictures from a webcam).
http://www.geocities.com/nfshomeboy/
Because of the insane amount of hits that site gets, it goes down on a regular basis. Tony-B was kind enough to post the pictures on his site, but that's also getting hammered. He has now posted the pics on a public photo album site.
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picvi..._taken&ord=asc
Also, the owner of needotherstuff.com was nice enough to host the pictures on her site.
Link Removed
Here's a list of the bonus features included on each disk.
Disk 1:
Intro by Spielberg
The 20th Anniversary Premiere
John Williams Live at the Shrine Auditorium Premiere
Space Exploration
Disk 2:
The Making of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Designs, Photographs and Marketing
The Reunion
Trailers
Cast and Filmmakers
Production Notes
DVD-ROM featuring Total Axess
Special Announcements
It turns out that the 'isolated score' isn't isolated at all. Basically it's the film using the live score as played during the 2002 premiere. All the movie dialog and sound effects are still present.
The reunion special is only 18 minutes and is therefore not what was shown on TV earlier in the year.
The 2002 version of the film contains English DD 5.1 and DTS tracks, as well as a French DD 5.1 (this is probably only on the Canadian release). The 1982 version contains English DD 5.1 and DTS tracks as well as Spanish and French DD 2.0 tracks.
There is nothing on the box that lists both versions come in the set. There is also no marking on the actual case to distinguish the widescreen and full screen version (a small sticker on the shrink wrap gives this information).
Video quality is great for both versions of the film. They're both a little soft, but so was the print I saw during the 2002 re-release.
The audio for both versions is terrific. Unfortunately there's no English DD 2.0 track for the 1982 version. Also, the 2002 remix is used for the 1982 version.
Ummm ... I think that pretty much covers everything. Please feel free to ask any questions!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All hands, cancelling gift set

Thank you Universal for not screwing us over and doing it right!

I may break down and buy Law & Order on Tuesday now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is now designated the Official E.T. Discussion Thread. All discussion regarding the dvd presentation and features present on the dvd releases should be discussed in this thread. Thank you.
Crawdaddy

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
David, thanks for all the great info :emoji_thumbsup: It appears the trailer(s) made it on the disc, have you looked at them yet? I assume the deleted scenes aren't on the discs and are only available via the Total Access option.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Um, hello! Great news. I may be picking it up after all. Not to bother, but can you clear up what the heck the "Space Exploration" feature on Disc One is? And how's the Making Of documentary?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Was it not said that the original version is the TRUE original version, terrorist line and all? I believe that was raised in our previous discussion. If so, please add to the list of confirmations in your post, David. This thread is going to be invaluable to fans.

It's worth noting to all here that we've NO idea what this means for the Gift Set as no one with the set has yet to come forward. My gift set should have shipped friday, if it didnt I sent in a request to cancel it and it may be canceled. If not, and I get it, I will fo course report on what's in there because this news defeats all talk of the UE Gift Set having any exclusive content as the press release originaly led us all to believe.

I assume the deleted scenes aren't on the discs and are only available via the Total Access option.
A review of the R4 disc (which does NOT carry the 1982 version) stated deleted scenes form part of the 50 minute documentary. The documentary, by the sounds of it, seems to be a 2002 version of the excellent one hour documentary from the laserdisc box set with this one having all new interviews but discussing much of the same content (ie. deleted scenes.....etc.)

Dan

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention; I'm really surprised the "terrorist" line is back (now Rain doesn't have to turn right around and take it back ;) ) For all the crap Spielberg takes at times I think he deserves major kudos, as I imagine he played a major part in getting the problems with this release fixed.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Curious if the 2002 audio is used for the 1982 cut, how is the Terrorist line present in the 1982 cut but not in the 2002?

-Vince

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Curious if the 2002 audio is used for the 1982 cut, how is the Terrorist line present?
Indeed, and is the music edited? The bike chase cue was cut slightly due to the visual edits made to the 2002 release. Questions, questions, so many questions....

Dan

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
now Rain doesn't have to turn right around and take it back
Damn straight.
So let me understand this now. The original version of the film is completely intact on the standard 2-disc release?
Not only is the true original version of the film available, I don't have to buy the fancy "gift set" thingy?
Am I happy? Hell yah! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

David Ely

Supporting Actor
The bike chase cue was cut slightly due to the visual edits made to the 2002 release.
Is there a specific instance you know during that scene that I could check?

Or maybe I'll modify my original statement. The majority of the track for the 1982 version sounds identical to the re-release. It's possible that minor changes exist, but in all other scenes the sound effects, dialogue and score sound identical between the versions.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Are the extras on the 2nd disc (listed above) came with the 1982 Theatrical Version? Or does disc 2 only contains the 1982 Theatrical Version and "other" bonus features?

Did they put the wrong disc in your package.. like you're the only lucky one who got the Theatrical disc instead of the "real" 2nd Special Features disc?

:b

Btw, I'd rather have DTS 5.1 and ORIGINAL DD 2.0 for the Theatrical 1982 version and ditch the DD 5.1.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
He clear it up eariler that it has the extras of the old disc 2 in there with the orignal verison. First time posting in the thread, but was going to preorder the ultimate gift box this week, but will probably not bother and just get some more DVD that I need to take out.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Did they put the wrong disc in your package
I knew I forgot to mention something.
Although there's no mention outside the case that the original version is available, there's a hint. The back of the case lists disk 2 as haveing a length of 1h 55min with English DD 5.1 + DTS as well as French and Spanish DD 2.0 audio tracks. I doubt these were mean't for the extras :)
When you open the package, disk 2 is clearly labeled to include the 'Original Theatrical Version'. The insert also clearly lists '1982 Feature Film' for disk 2. The insert is definately for the 2 disk version and not the ultimate box set, so that kills the chance of it being a mistake.
Also, in the other thread, Jeff Adkins mentions that his 2 disk set had a sticker on the shrinkwrap stating that both version were included. I didn't have such a sticker on mine, but I'm writting that off as a mistake during packaging.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I noticed in another sites forum that people were semi-defending Universal from a "false advertising" standpoint by saying that technically they didn't say it WASN'T on the 2 disc set. The guy then says this is just misleading advertising, and therefore not illegal.

Bad news on that. Misleading advertising will also get you sued. Advertising that aggressively misleads customers is just as illegal, unless something has changed that I don't know about.

Anyway, in regards to this situation I haven't seen this explictly stated (though I think Jeff was implying it - in the other thread). Couldn't it be that the 2 disc ORIGINALLY didn't have the 1982 version and that upon receiving serious complaints about that fact (perhaps SS even got involved) the 2nd "extras" disc was altered to be the 1982 cut and then whatever bits of the extras that could still be fit on the disc?

I especially wonder about this because of the sticker. That sticker tells me that Universal clearly knew that they had a situation where people were going to believe that only 1 version of the film was on the 2 disc. Stickers are a common way to "fix" your already manufactured packaging, as are inserts, etc.

Could be wrong, but its just something else to consider in this situation.

Meanwhile, that disgusting report about website moles traced back to Universal really pisses me off. No legitimate discs to web reviewers, the cutting of advertising to sites, but supporting these false posts.

I think Universal should have to PAY for any mole posting on any website as normal advertising. After all, isn't the "author" of the post really just the same as the advertising copywriter. Just because you pay the copywriter doesn't mean you don't have to pay to place their copy at websites, mags, newspapers. Truly a scummy practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks