What's new

Phonebooth postponed? (1 Viewer)

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Release date is set for November 15. I can't see them releasing a movie featuring a sniper anytime soon.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Last I checked, the release date is still set, as counterprogramming for Harry Potter. Which means nothing to me as I'll easily see both that weekend. :)
Jason

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I was just thinking about that this morning while watching the news. I *really* want to see this movie but can't imagine them releasing this anytime soon until that sniper is found in DC

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Why wouldn't they release it? What's going on? I don't have TV and don't read any news, but I sure hope it's not 'cause of some "real life" situation, because I'm sick of all the sensitivity, who cares! It's a movie!

Just checked out CNN, I heard about this now and then but didn't know it was something on-going, looks like someone's having some fun with a rifle, and hasn't even been caught or seen yet. This is kind of very close to the movie's plotline, still, there's a whole month ahead, we'll see.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There is currently a situation in the east (Maryland/Virginia) where a sniper is up to 8 shot.. so, it would probably not be considered very tasteful to market a film about a sniper at the moment. :)

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a intense movie but the delay is very understandable, hopefully they'll get things taken care of quickly in Washington.

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see why they even have to pull movies. Its not like someone is breaking your arm pulling you into seeing something you don't want to see. If you don't want to see it don't go.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
If you don't want to see it don't go.
I wish it was this simple. The film is also a financial investment. The interested parties will be losing a lot if viewership is down. The film, is without a doubt, not an intended beneficiary of these recent events.

~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's one thing to not go see it, quite another to have a full-swing advert campaign smack dab in the middle of the nightly news covering the real sniper.

Remember that the kidnapping film "Trapped" got ZERO advertising but maintained it's release date due to the similarity with the rash of high profile kidnappings.

So its not just the showing of the film here, but rather the advertising campaign that would go with it that could result in strong backlash against the film. What would normally be a positive hype generator could easily end up creating a great deal of negative hype instead due to bad timing.

But if they go like "Trapped" with no adverts, then the film is doomed to fail as well.

Best choice, and most considerate, is to simply delay things until the sniper is stopped. It is just entertainment, but bad coincidence or not the film would appear to be "cashing in" on the sniper outbreak by the general public who doesn't strictly follow film development.

Now the other question is, did some nutjob get the idea from seeing the trailers or is it just straight chance? I don't think art should be held accountable for nuts in the least (after all, if the same nut saw "A Beautiful Mind" would he enroll in graduate math courses? Doubtful), but the timing seems very odd.

I know my fiancee has to visit DC in the near future and while she is not terribly worried, there is still some concern.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Remember that the kidnapping film "Trapped" got ZERO advertising but maintained it's release date due to the similarity with the rash of high profile kidnappings.
Well, Seth, maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't completely buy the line Columbia was putting out. There was advertising for it, although they didn't have stars out promoting it. Of more interest is the fact that the film was being dumped in the dog days of the release schedule and wasn't screened in advance for critics. I smell some spin doctors that went to work for Columbia, making it seem as if they were taking appropriate measures. The simple matter is, they knew they had a bad film and were trying to minimize the hit they were already going to take.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just heard on the news tonight that Phonebooth will be pushed back. Just saw the trailer for the first time tonight because I heard about it on the news.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Mark, that does make sense.

Still, in either case there is something to be said for advertising something that bears a strong resemblence to tragic current events.

Of course, if they catch the sniper at the end of the film it might be cathartic for people to watch. However, the trailers still wouldn't give you that impression.

If I was living in fear of this guy or knew someone killed by him there is no way I would want to have the glossy, loud daily reminder from a H'wood version in my face.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
If they choose to postpone Phone Booth's release, I certainly understand. There's a certain amount of sensitivity a studio should show in a situation like this. That said, the film isn't supposed to come out until November 15, which is still, in my mind, plenty of time away, assuming this doesn't go on for a couple more weeks.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Understandable, but this was my most anticipated film of the year and I'm disappointed. It's already been in the can over a year as it is. Oh well, guess Colin's "The Recruit" will beat it out. Meantime, I hope they catch the sniper soon because that's just tragic and frightening.

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell you firsthand that this whole situation is a living hell. I live in Spotsylvania County, site of two of the shootings, and words cannot describe the fear that this entire community has on a daily basis.

That being said, I was looking forward to this movie and even if the sniper was still out on the loose (and God-willing he won't be for much longer), I would go to see this film if it was released, but that choice really is the exception around here. Very, very few people in this area would want to see a movie having anything to do with this subject. In no way do I blame them though.

I won't mind waiting a couple of months, and I'm very much looking forward to the moment when people in the DC/Maryland/Northern VA area can go to a film (or anywhere) without looking over our shoulders.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
But on the other hand, Michael Moore didn't postpone the release of Bowling for Columbine due to the DC situation with the sniper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks