What's new

West Wing (1 Viewer)

JohnSJ

Auditioning
hello,

I've just recently started watching this show, and have been stunned with the quality of acting and the script/plot line. Wondering why this show doesn't seem to get much attention here? I saw the last two episodes of last season and every show this season and I'm hooked, comments?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I rarely miss an episode (actually she never misses one). I also think it very well done. My only hesitation is that the main characters are all too good to be truly believable. Even their character flaws are understandable and forgivable (Leo’s alcoholism, for example) or due to the stress of the job.

Even so, it’s a very entertaining hour.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
We talk about it usually every week, just not with the enthusiasm that a certain genre show has attained around here.

JohnSJ

Auditioning
It's amazing how good the cast actually is, hard to say to a fault though...I'll look for the thread after tonights ep. I love reading the soprano's threads because of the analysis of what's happening in each ep. I like that, hoping to see the same kind of thing even if it isn't with quite the same level of interest.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I haven't missed an episode yet.
I'm going to have to start taping it or watching it an hour later on the satelite due to it conflicting with Birds of Prey

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I already tape it so I can watch The Amazing Race. Hopefully I'll be able to cacth BOP in the summer.

It will be interesting to see if a West Wing thread can stay open and not be closed because of political debate.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
According to Paul Harvey (on the radio this morning) viewership is down 29%. I still enjoy the show but can understand why this may be happening. Jason may have been kidding in the above post but I believe this may be a reason for the decline. They need to increase stories about the characters and decrease those that involve politics.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know why the show starts at 8:59PM (some weeks), instead of 9:00 exactly? I should imagine this would infuriate you time-shifters (who program VCRs), or the people with TiVo. Will TiVo compensate for this 1-minute adjustment?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I also watch it regularly and there's reason to believe this season will be even better than last, despite Rob Lowe's departure. (A pity that is, since Sam is my favorite character.)
I'm sorry to hear that viewership is decreasing, since this is one of the best shows on TV right now.
It may be the "Left" Wing (and it doesn't try to hide that) but as a conservative I've found right-wing opinions expressed more eloquently on this show than by real-life Republicans.
And though it may be politically liberal, at least it's generally smart about it and allows me to think about it before disagreeing :)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Jason may have been kidding in the above post but I believe this may be a reason for the decline.
I'm not so sure about that. DaveF's post above is an example of why not. How can a show about the West Wing of the White House not involve politics? I would imagine that those conservatives who cannot stomach the show's liberal idiology would have tuned out long ago, and those that can set that idiology aside and like the show anyway will still like it for the characters, writing etc.

More likely the changes in country since September 2001 make political fantasy less appealing than it used to be.

David Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
Love the show and never miss an episode. Is has a permanent Season Pass on my Tivo (and, yes, Tivo will accomodate for early starts/late endings).

Regarding the political viewpoints, a great deal of it I find utterly repugnant. But then again, I disagree with the chopping off of people's heads, but still enjoyed Highlander. Don't condone gratuitous murder, but still enjoy CSI. Not the biggest fan of organized crime, but wouldn't miss The Soprano's. You get the point...

However realistic it may appear, it is, after all, still fiction.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
How can a show about the West Wing of the White House not involve politics?
Easy, make the stories more about the people rather than what bill, law or social program they are trying to pass. I enjoy it more when they are focusing on individual characters and their problems. I don't expect or want them to completely remove political issues. I would prefer if they at least toned down which political side they were on. Have you noticed how at least one character gets time to lecture the issues in each episode? Are they moving along the story line or informing the viewing audience? I guess now that the show is an established success the producers might feel they can do what they want.
Since this show started I can recall all kinds of problems everyone of those characters has had. One of the first was Sam and the hooker. But damn it, I can barely recall any storyline involving politics. We can watch Democrats and Republicans argue issues on the evening news. I believe when it comes to entertainment is should not matter which side of the political issue someone is on, they should keep it light and a neutral as possible.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:
How can a show about the West Wing of the White House not involve politics?
Easy, make the stories more about the people rather than what bill, law or social program they are trying to pass.
True, but some of the best moments involve politics. For example, even though Sheen plays a Democrat and he and his staff are decidedly liberal, the decision that he made to assassinate a foreign national is a small scale example of something being debated in congress as we speak.

I make no comment (so as to avoid forum rules) on the rightness or wrongness of his decision, nor its consequences in future shows, but I thought that the moral dilemma that faced the President on the show made a powerful statement. Does one follow ones own principles or do what one considers best for the country?

I think that this story line (or at least its strength) needed the audience to understand everyone’s politics to succeed.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
According to Paul Harvey (on the radio this morning) viewership is down 29%. I still enjoy the show but can understand why this may be happening. Jason may have been kidding in the above post but I believe this may be a reason for the decline. They need to increase stories about the characters and decrease those that involve politics.
As a left of centerist myself I will admit that TWW has gotten particularly preachy lately, but I think the declining ratings have as much to do with Wednesday Nights at 9pm being fully stacked across the board with large fan bases for 3-5 different shows (I am taping West Wing and Watching The Amazing Race and crossing my fingers that Birds of Prey will be rerun in the summer). Apparently there are fans of The Bachelor and Fast Lane too (not to mention baseball).

JohnSJ

Auditioning
Wow, I never looked at the lack of talk about the TWW as a political issue. Makes sense. i can understand that some people might choose not to watch due to their political beliefs, but that's just unfortunate. Being a conservative myself, I disagree with may of the political agendas discussed. However, I enjoy the show for what it is. I would not want them to move too far from the political aspect of the show, it is after all about the White house and its staff.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Being a conservative myself, I disagree with may of the political agendas discussed. However, I enjoy the show for what it is. I would not want them to move too far from the political aspect of the show, it is after all about the White house and its staff.
Well said, John.

Anytime I let my political or religious (or other hot-button) beliefs interfere with my enjoyment of entertainment (or art), I try to just step back and take a deep breath.

And I do think that this show’s content contributes to a lack of discussion. I find myself very carefully commenting in this thread.

JohnSJ

Auditioning
Thanks Lew,
Quite frankly discussing the show without postulating on political beliefs should be easy...when you think about it, we already avoid this in our everyday lives. Well, most of us do ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks