Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Would (some)people like letterboxing if it was done differently? done

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:01 PM

I have a copy of THE LONGEST DAY on LD that is letter-boxed with all the blacked-out area on the bottom of the image. So, the image starts about one-third up the screen and goes all the way to the top. I find this rather appealing. I can't recall seeing another film done this way, are there any more out there? Would the average widesceen hater be more accepting of this? Should more/any films be done this way?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:07 PM

I think people would like letterboxing more it the videos were called "Theatrical Version" and Pan and Scan copies were called "Television Version"

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:09 PM

Centering is easier to look at.

#4 of 30 ONLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:13 PM

I don't think so. People would still think the "black bars" are covering up the image. And by it being off-center, they would think there is something wrong with their TV. There are a couple of others like this, THE INSIDER is the only one that comes to mind, however. It's not as extreme as The Longest Day; it's up from center just a little bit.
"Go ahead...make my day."

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Vic_T

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:12 PM

I saw a version of "The Last Tango In Paris" that was done that way. I found it to be a little irritating, myself. I much prefer the standard center of screen method of letter boxing.
Hi, how's it going?

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:15 PM

I doubt it too, Joe and Jane just plain hate the black area's. I don't think they would care where or how much black area their is, they just want it gone.

Greg,
sometimes the simplest statements are the most brilliant. I love that idea. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:18 PM

This would be a bad idea, wouldn't it ruin the anamorphic squeeze function for people with 4:3 TV's? They would have to settle for less resolution.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:19 PM

I would like it if my DVD Player would let me adjust the vertical position. For Downconverted Anamorphic movies, since the black bars (Or at least a portion of them in cases of 2:35) are generated by the player, I would much rather watch Metropolis with no black bar at the top and the bottom black bar big enough to contain the subtitles. Whether the subs are in the picture or in the lower black bar is all the same to me (I matte my screen but for foreign films, I only use the top matte) but when the subs are in between I find it distracting.
My DVDs | My Equipment
No OAR = No Sale!
If you don't want black bars, then you don't want DVD!

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:24 PM

I've always depised that practice of placing sub titles in the black area. Posted Image It's a violation of the theatrical exhibition. I don't matte (i'd like to), but it still get's under my skin, especially those ugly yellow player generated one's. Aaarrrggg!
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 02:34 PM

You'd also be missing the top portion of the widescreen image due to the overscan on most TV's. We already lose a little on the sides as it is, unless you have your set calibrated to 0% overscan.

No thanks Posted Image
Master Trader at HOME THEATER FORUM
Gold Trader at DVD TALK

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 03:02 PM

On THE LONGEST DAY the subtitles are indeed in the black bar. I know that's not how it showed theatrically, but let's forget that for debate's sake. I stille find it appealling to have the image go all the way to the top. I don't know if it's possible to author anamorphic DVD's to play this way. Surely it's possible? is one black bar better than two, hmnnnn... I'd like to see a few other examples. BTW, the DVD is not presented this way for those who haven't seen it. Vic, was it an LD? Sub's on the bottom?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 05:01 PM

Was not Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country like this as well? Only thing is the subtitles were partially cut off when viewing in 16x9 mode. Not good.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 05:00 PM

Ms. B:

You're attracted to the different presentation. Not expecting it, you were surprised. So, you enjoyed the film in a novel way. That's why it was appealing, I think. And knowing you by your posts, I'm willing to bet you'll position the video image to "where it once belonged." Posted Image

JB

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 08 2002 - 05:12 PM

I have to agree with Patrick - centering the letterboxed image is still the best way to go.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted October 09 2002 - 12:21 AM

[quote] I've always depised that practice of placing sub titles in the black area. It's a violation of the theatrical exhibition. I don't matte (i'd like to), but it still get's under my skin, especially those ugly yellow player generated one's. Aaarrrggg! [quote]
Ditto!

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted October 09 2002 - 06:10 AM

Jack, I'd seen the LD before but just forgotten about it. I had it out and played it recently. If anamorphic DVD's could be properly presented this way I'd like it, I think...? Neil, was that TREK disc a DVD or LD?

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 09 2002 - 06:24 AM

[quote] Neil, was that TREK disc a DVD or LD? [quote]
I refer to the Undiscovered Country DVD. I think they messed up the aspect ratio a it looked like 2:1 or close to it and it was not centered on the screen. Problem is that the subtitles were partially on the picture and partially on the black bars so for those who use 16:9 displays, it presented a problem.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted October 09 2002 - 06:35 AM

The letterboxed VHS of Return of the Jedi is like that too.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 09 2002 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, the big point would be that whatever style is used to present OAR, that it work just as well (if not better) on a 16x9 display as it does on a 4x3 display. Of course...some people with projection gear go as far as to completely *mask* the letterboxing bars in *any* presentation (so 2.35:1 films don't appear with black bars at all). In this case, subtitle placement becomes even more of a problem. At the very least, video encoding and subtitle placement should be designed to work effectively on both 4x3 and 16x9 displays. -dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted October 09 2002 - 10:30 AM

To answer the original question, I suspect that people who don't like black bars just plain don't like black bars. If their screen isn't filled, they're going to complain.
Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users